Updating in the Software Center gives an error

I would stick with using ‘-s’ while trying this until you can point to something specific and note that I specified apt-get. I am not sure what a ‘-s’ will do with apt itself; it may ignore it.

Changing from systemd is outside my expertise. I looked at the “Packages” utility. Interestingly, systemd utility libraries are required for elogind, so your situation is puzzling. Maybe someone more knowledgable about this can help you further. Something does not make sense here.

At least you have a little more info.

1 Like

Are you trying to remove systemd? That’s not recommended.

This Debian bug report gives more info (It’s rather technical though):

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=922160

Looks like there’s an upload coming that should fix this.

1 Like

I’m just following whatever instructions I find. And lo and behold, this has crashed the computer. When it boots I get a terminal, not a login screen. I log in, and it gives the message

`Linux pure 4.19.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.28-2 (2019-03-15) x86_64

The programs included with the PureOS system are free software…`

And so on, followed by a blinking cursor. The only thing I can do from here is follow instructions on a previous screen to issue systemctl reboot. Rebooting just takes me right back to the same place.

When you’re at the cursor, try this command;

systemctl default

That should bring up a login.

It responds

System has not been booted with systemd as init system (POD 1). Can't operate. Failed to connect to bus: Host is down

It now can’t reboot either. It responds to sudo systemctl reboot with the same message as above.

You may want to re-install as I think you currently have no init system on the device.
https://tracker.pureos.net/w/installation_guide/oem_installation/

Well, I downloaded the latest ISO, checked the checksum, used Unetbootin on a FAT32 formatted thumbdrive, put it in the laptop, hit exit to go to the boot menu, and it spent 8 hours overnight running some process I couldn’t tell what it was. I have no idea if I’m doing something wrong (entirely possible, I’m just grabbing random pages on how to install Linux) or if the computer is doing something weird. A picture of the screen is below.

That screen shot shows the memtest program that tests memory under Linux on your Librem 15 v4. It should tell you if you have any bad blocks of memory.

Is it supposed to run for over 8 hours? I shut it down assuming that couldn’t be right.

Well I ran it for 48 hours, it said it passed all the tests and to press escape to exit. There was no other option that I could see, so I did that. It just rebooted the computer, and I get the same boot menu as before. If I try to boot from the USB again, it just goes through the Memtest again. I have no clue what else to do.

Well, we know your memory is good at least. :slight_smile:

Can you choose to boot into PureOS at the menu prompt?

Nope, when it boots it gives the boot screen with the Purism rectangle and an option to press Esc to go to the boot menu. If I don’t, it goes to the full-screen terminal. If I do press Esc, it goes to this.

If I press 1, still goes to the terminal which I can’t escape from except by rebooting.

If I press 2, it goes into the memtest.

1. and t. seem like dead-ends although I don’t really know what I’m looking at.

Is there a bootable OS on the ATA-9 Hard-Disk? That is to say, if number 1 is in fact your USB drive, is there an OS that you can boot from? Because it doesn’t appear that there is.

I have no clue how to answer that, I’m not clear on what it would mean to have an OS there. All I can say is, when I enter Option 1 it takes me to the prompt that I can only escape by issuing sudo reboot. Option 2 is the USB but like I say, it takes me to the memtest.

Welp, looking like I spent $1,600 to do some computing for March and April. This sucks!

Can you try making a bootable USB with a program other than Unetbootin?

1 Like

Finally caught a break from work and tried this. It worked, I used Startup Disk Creator and booted from that, it was able to re-install the OS. Thanks for this, good to have a laptop again.

5 Likes

I’m glad you got it to work.

1 Like

you can also do it from Gnome Disks(app) > LClick-hamburger menu > “Restore Disk Image …”

gnome-disks-restore-disk-image

1 Like