VoLTE support progress

OK, I guess I don’t know how to use that.

Just run socat and while “nothing happens” type AT+BMRAT :wink:

2 Likes

purism@pureos:~$ sudo socat - /dev/ttyUSB3,crnl
AT+BMRAT

+BMRAT: FDD LTE

OK

:+1: Thanks, @dos!

2 Likes

My result:
purism@pureos:~$ mmcli --modem=0
firmware revision: MPSS.JO.2.0.2.c1.1-00032-9607_GENNS_PACK-1 1 [Feb 25 2019 01:00:00]

and with AT:

AT+BMSWVER

+BMSWVER: M100E_1.0.0_190426,BMC_M100E_1ACD_B325_V1.0.0.0_20190510,M100E_1.0.0_190910

According to my carrier (Telia Sweden), VoLTE is included in my subscription. I have enabled it through the bm818-tool and rebooted, but I only get:
+BMRAT: UMTS

I am in Spain and use roaming, is there a chance it can work anyway?

Edit: firmware revision: MPSS.JO.2.0.2.c1.1-00032-9607_GENNS_PACK-1 1 [Feb 25 2019 01:00:00]

Edit 2: It seems as if most Spanish carriers offer VoLTE:

Based on your date Nov 26 2020, there appears to be an updated firmware at least. I haven’t had issues on SMS/MMS myself (other than MMS images never deleting when message is deleted). What were your SMS/MMS issues specifically? Do you use the Purism service or other service for mobile?

“What were your SMS/MMS issues specifically?”

See my posts in:

1 Like

Did support say this firmware update was for t-mobile only, or is it something more of generic update for the modem that could work on other mobile providers. How did you upgrade?

Purism support did not have me update any firmware. I have not done any firmware updates. Out of frustration I reflashed the entire phone, but that didn’t help, so I bought a new BM818 card, which did help. As I indicated elsewhere, I don’t know if the original BM818 card had a hardware or firmware problem. I hope this answers your question.

2 Likes

Oh nice good taking initiative! Yes that helps.

Yeah because newer modem card come with newer/diferent ADSP Blobs firmware which you got to working, but buying another card was not necessary, it was simply reprogramming a new firmware with Purism team @joao.azevedo

1 Like

But that won’t get you HSP with the old card.

You might be correct. However, there didn’t seem to be too many people experiencing the problems that I had, so I cannot exclude some hardware failure unique to me.

You mean Bluetooth profile HSP? if so HSP will work good in both controller like Redpine or SparkLan but in GNU PureOS Octarine i confident…

@dos implied that hsp wont work with the redpine card unless i misunderstood what he said.

Shoutout to updated bm818-tool. Icon update too :partying_face:

2 Likes

Any way i can test and flash the 2020 firmware for the A1 baseband 1 modem type (i am glutton for punishment)? For example the modem will never automatically connect to data after restart (with VPN selected to autoconnect - it does connect automatically with VPN off so maybe a new version of Network Manager, Modem Manager will fix this?), as well as experiencing random disconnects, i am wondering if this may help at even just a little would be good.

I’d also like to see what’s involved in doing this!

[purism@pureos ~]$ sudo socat - /dev/ttyUSB3,crnl
[sudo] password for purism:
AT+BMSWVER

+BMSWVER: M100E_1.0.0_190426,BMC_M100E_1BAD_3117_V1.0.0.0_20190426,M100E_1.0.0_190910

OK
AT+BMRAT

+BMRAT: EDGE

OK

So it does not work for me. Do I need to update somehow the firmware?

So… here’s my socat during a call:

# socat - /dev/ttyUSB3,crnl

OK

RING_BACK

CONNECT

AT+BMRAT

+BMRAT: FDD LTE

OK

+DISC: 4,0,0,0,"REDACTED",129

Looks like VoLTE is working for me. This is, again, the BM818-A1 on a T-Mobile MVNO.