What did we learn from the shipping announcement?

I’m not sure but it looks a bit like a part created by selective laser melting. I prefer a smooth surface to easily put it into a pocket and for easier cleaning. Lets see what the first testers a report.
For me from the pictures it is also clear that the back it is made of two parts. We will see if both are made of metal.
BTW: Iam impressed by the video (“The Librem 5 smartphone. Now shipping.”) showing the first “very fast” hands on.

2 Likes

Wow , did ya’ll see that back cover? It’s kinda like light/dark grey fiber linen micarta or something . Very cool .

I love the color scheme . Translucent grey rockers for volume and power , the back case . the side frame . Wicked . Cant wait to get mine. I should have gotten an aspen .

4 Likes

Some community wiki love:

I collected all the pictures from the toots (the three above and some more, beginning with the PCBs)
and put them in a gallery - for your viewing and scrolling pleasure.

But wait, there’s more!
@valos put some effort into collecting info about the modems.

So, the community wiki starts to have useful content :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Doing a great job with that wiki page Caliga . History in the making .

5 Likes

Agreed! I had fun making plans for my little case and all but I don’t think I’m even going to bother now. I’ll just be very, very careful because it does look very nice :smiley:

1 Like

is suggesting that I Sign in / Register. Which username/password does it need? Forum? Purism account? New?

1 Like

New (assuming you never opened a bug or created patches so far :wink: ).
Instructions: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/wikis/contribute

1 Like

I think I will paint the back plastic cover black and maybe engrave a Purism rectangle on it. Leave the metal side band its original color

Not me . I actually really like that concrete speckle look it has .

4 Likes

They do look nice but I hope they make some metal switch caps for Evergreen.

The switches are supposed to be capped long before evergreen if I read the batch features correct.

Yeah they are, I just meant rather than plastic.

Metal caps ? Hmm … I dunno man . I haven’t seen anything about that anywhere.

No I haven’t either. I just think it would be a nice feature. :slight_smile:

Found this on an article from SlashGear. I haven’t seen it before so I’m sharing it here. I assume that’s centimetre markings. You can see roughly the dimensions of the phone. I guess about 76.5 x 154 mm.

I am glad that they are emphasizing that refinements will continue. Being built on commonly used, community developed open source software, its future potential is high.

1 Like

From the concept picture in the daily app videos, based on the screen size of 5.7", I had guessed 72 x 146 mm. The Aspen size is quite a bit larger. I wonder if it will get closer to that size by Evergreen as they’ve said the next batch will be a tighter fit?

Edit: And for those of you playing at home, the actual concept size was 72.25 x 147.1 x 15 mm.

Tighter fit is mainly just for dust and water tightness. Tighter tolerances for the buttons and such forth. Probably trim seems to be smoother. At least that is my guess.

3 Likes

WOW, I didn’t know that slashgear was sponsored by Apple! (from the article above mentioned):

Perhaps except for Apple, user privacy is often just an afterthought among the major manufacturers and platform developers in the consumer tech market.

2 Likes

@PineappleOranges Yes you are probably right.

@deedend I expect similar sentiments once the mainstream reviews come out. Purism needs to go the extra mile explaining to them why this phone is different to Apple and all other phone hardware.

1 Like