What happened to Librem 15?

Why does that matter to you? I’m curious.

1 Like

The referbs looked like a screaming deal, they had some 14" referbs when I bought mine, no L15s that I can remember. I got mine at $300 off, it seemed as though they wanted to clear them out. Maybe a little blurb about the fact they were discontinuing the L15 model would have been nice, just sayin…The L14 would be a deal breaker at this point. For me, running CAD, screen size matters, a L17 would probably result in an upgrade. One can only hope…

1 Like

for me a 4k panel should ALSO have HDR (10bit color depth) capability … no matter what size it is

2 Likes

One can use an external microphone, many people already have one (including me).

1 Like

Kyle, thanks for asking!
After owning the L15 v4 I would never ever again want to miss the UltraHD screen. I love it.
This is definitely, what makes me hesitate.
I’d rather have a used L15 v4 wiht UltraHD and “only” 32 GB RAM, than a L14 with 64 GB RAM just because of the screen and that is though I’m using Qubes!

I would order immediately.

Keyboard is completely fine with me.
Having an overall larger notebook is what I generally prefere, yes, for I like the style.

3 Likes

@UNIXfanatic , thanks for starting this!
:+1: :heartbeat:

1 Like

For me: The larger screen and the UHD 3840 × 2160 resolution.

If only the L14 would have that, I’d order immediately! :+1: :ok_hand: :heartbeat:

I actually want the Librem 11 to return! :slightly_smiling_face:
I place great value on something small and light, for traveling.
(Of course, now I can just use the L5.)

4 Likes

You can easily get a cheap USB audio interface in a thumb drive form factor for this if you need it. Or you can get a headset with an integrated microphone. Or you could get a quality microphone and an audio interface like the Focusrite Scarlett Solo.

1 Like

This is less secure in case of Qubes, since all USB devices on the same USB hub are not isolated, while the standard microphone is fully independent from them.

Upd: By the way, @Kyle_Rankin another requested feature for Librem 16/17:

• More independent USB hubs.
1 Like

If you’re worried about what software may be accessing an external peripheral, just unplug it.

1 Like

What if I’m worried that malicious USB devices on the same hub will record my voice while I’m speaking with someone? Sometimes you need to use those devices simultaneously, too.

https://www.manageengine.com/data-security/security-threats/bad-usb.html

2 Likes

You can imagine an extreme edge case threat model for anything. That doesn’t mean it has any practical relevance. The vast majority of people using an unbalanced microphone with a laptop are using a headset or earbuds with an integrated microphone, thus most devices today have a single TRRS jack. It would be a waste of resources to add a separate jack for the microphone.

A nice high resolution screen, on the other hand, has much more practical relevance than an extreme edge case threat model.

2 Likes

Introduction of the 15 would give me the confidence that Purism is still in the laptop business, so that I could confidently buy the 14 or 15.
(The Librem key is awesome. I am ready to buy the 14 or 15 to replace my old 13 once I have the confidence that Purism will still support me three years down the road.)

1 Like

While I agree with you that currently it’s a rare edge case in threat modeling, this is exactly how security through isolation works, which is the basis of Qubes OS. They are even creating Audio VM to isolate everything concerning the Audio stack. Video domain is of course also there. Users don’t even have to think about it.

AFAIK Librem 15v2 had a separate 3.5mm jack for microphone. I would certainly survive without it in case it’s indeed costly, but since Purism advertise themselves as a security-focused company, I do expect such things from them, along with a possibility to update your Coreboot without connecting to the Internet.

1 Like

Well obviously everyone has their own needs for larger screens but I would’ve been OK with a 13 inch screen and a smaller case/footprint. Easier mobility to me.

2 Likes

Of course we are still in the laptop business, we just launched a brand new laptop platform, the Librem 14, which is a complete redesign based on our wishlist (which is a significant investment), and will be the platform we stick with for that form factor, likely for many years to come. We wouldn’t have bothered to make that kind of investment if we were exiting the laptop business.

The question I’m asking (and people are helpfully answering) in this thread is what’s missing from the Librem 14 that the Librem 15 had, that would cause you to hold off on getting a Librem 14, and it sounds like at least so far, the common consensus is that some people really do prefer a physically larger screen, and once the screen is larger, a higher resolution screen.

All of this is useful to know, because it sounds like even if the Librem 14 were to increase its screen resolution down the road as part of a future upgrade, that there are still a number of people who wouldn’t get a Librem 14 but still want that physically larger screen for various reasons.

8 Likes

I’d be happy with a 14" 4k screen. But if the choice was between a slightly less portable 15" 4k screen and a 1080p 14" screen, I’d definitely go with the 15" 4k screen.

1 Like

As for me: Exactly!
I would prefere larger scale notebook with UHD resolution over smaller ones.
And yes, if there were L15 v4 left, I would immediately order.

But I would order the L14 if it had UHD resolution, even while it is smaller. If ever this is possible. Does UHD fit into 14’’ screen?

I would order a L14 with UHD screen that immediately.

if some of you guys are worried about the microphone not being isolated enough just buy a cheap external usb-DAC/AMP with a 3.5 mm jack for audio ONLY … that way even if your headset has an integrated mic you will make sure it won’t be able to ‘snoop’ since the DAC/AMP processes ONLY the audio signal that gets out (NOT in)

1 Like