What happened to Librem 15?

Not sure I understand. Again, a USB device means that other USB devices on this hub [0] can snoop on everything you do with it. I was asking for the the 3.5 mm jack for microphone. The jack for audio out already exists.

[0] Not on this USB port but on all internally connected ports, too. On my Librem 15, there is only one USB hub, which means that all USB devices can snoop on each other, including the integrated camera.

To those wishing for a dedicated microphone jack: Are you aware that the audio jack has a microphone pin? Is it really that you want separate audio out and audio in?

To the Edward Snowdens in this thread: Do you really worry that a USB-device will fetch your digital audio data from a connected USB microphone, but not worry that this shady USB device… might have a microphone built-in plus an Iridium satellite transmitter? :thinking:

1 Like

See my replies above why one would need a separate jack for the microphone:

That’s a honor to be called like that, although I don’t think I deserve that :wink:

Not that I actually worry about that, but it’s technically possible. I just want to follow the path of security through isolation, which is what Qubes OS provides. The further you are on this path, the harder it is to hack you. If it does not cost you much effort, I just don’t see why not to do it. Qubes provides a very good and convenient UI for that.

That should be easy enough to check for those who are concerned about it.

1 Like

A combined mic and headphone TRRS jack is still required because that’s what most headsets and earbuds with inline mics use nowadays.

Yes, of course.

I assume an adapter (TRRS to Mic) would not work for you?

Then…
I know auto-sense ports are a thing. So, it’s entirely possible that the port would detect your microphone as such. That would be the simplest solution. We just need someone to test or confirm it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, never seen such thing, thank you. If it actually works, it would probably be a good enough solution. Updated my original post where I asked for that.

I am not buying Librem 14 because it is too small screen for my use case. I would love Librem with 16 and even better 17 inch screen.
I had not bought Librem 15 because of numpad it looks not clean (not minimalist) and keybord with touchpad is not in the middle, it just does not look good.
I am waiting for Librem 14 design laptop just with larger screen and please no numpad.

2 Likes

you know most of the time i think about other people that they know more than me in almost every field there is so i resist the temptation to attach pictures that provoke your surprised reaction … i assume that these things are quite common by now so i don’t need to jump in like Caliga did but it turns out that it’s wiser to assume the opposite … i don’t know but i think that the internet got to me and i let it …

2 Likes

A Librem 15 with no numpad and centered trackpad (i.e. the 14 with a slightly bigger, high res screen and no other changes) I think I’d pay almost any premium for.

2 Likes

@Kyle_Rankin
Also would be great update for L14, L16/17 and L5 to add a physical switch for speakers. To prevent ultrasonic cross device tracking through speakers. If there is no physical switch in the device, first thing that I would have to do after receiving the device is to disconnect the speakers, because even using Tor I could be deanonymized using ultrasound.

Video about ultrasound tracking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1FfVK6sj4I&t=3s
Video Tor deanonymization: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRPYF9b7_tA

3 Likes

Sheesh I didn’t know anything about that possibility! :+1:

1 Like

THIS!! :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

1 Like

How about touch screens? That’s really helpful for convergent application development. Please don’t make customers choose between high resolution screens or low resolution with touch screen. Touch screen should be an option with high and low res. (By “low res” I mean “normal” HD)

2 Likes

That’s a valid concern, but you actually don’t need (or want) a kill switch to solve that problem. There are in fact 3 ways that come to mind to deal with that.

1. Submit patches to the audio stack that prohibit the computer from sending frequencies you can’t hear to the digital to analog converter. Just like good old .mp3 encoding. This helps protect all devices that run Linux distros!
  2. Use a digital to analog converter that automatically strips out ultrasound and infrasound. This protects you even if you install windows.
  3. If no such thing exists, put some kind of digital filter chip in between the CPU and the DAC that does this.
3 Likes

It would be great to have this kind of protection plus physical switch. Because devices could communicate not only in ultrasound but also in regular sound, for example when playing online video, etc.
So I would have speakers off all the time and use headphones when needed.

1 Like

I handle a lot of scientific data, and having a numpad is priceless.
I’d love the option of the HD screen that’s 15"+, but really it’s the numpad that makes it for me.
I’m currently using a Librem13 (with broken hinges) and I’ve been holding off ordering a road-warrior replacement Librem14 in the hope that there’s a similarly powerful upgrade to the Librem15.
Another “Desktop replacement” would be very much appreciated!

3 Likes

I don’t want to take this thread off-topic, but do you think the broken hinges were a design flaw, and will they be better in the newer models? I hope so, because I think I want to order a 14.

The hinge design appears very different in the Librem14.
I believe the hinges on the L13 have been a problem that Purism have learned from. Personally, I’ve been talking with Purism Support (Mladen) who’s been very helpful, but given the Brexit pain-in-the-ass and import duties and such, i’ve decided just to duct-tape this one together while I look for my next new toy! Probably a L14, but I’m really interested in the conversation about a replacement for the L15.

2 Likes

Why does people always want UHD for 14-17"? Sounds to me that people have to scale up there screen to be able to read text. But if you need to scale, you also don’t need such high resolutions. It’s the same reason why L5 just has 1440:720 instead of HD or higher resolutions. And even this is 200% scaled by default.