What of the 180 day lead-time?

You might want to re-read what you wrote there and consider how it comes across to others who don’t share your exact vision.

I think it is often forgotten on this forum that people who crowdfunded or pre-ordered the Librem 5 came from several different, sometimes overlapping groups. I am certain that some people who paid in advance for a A Security and Privacy Focused Phone were not thinking about funding a new mobile ecosystem – they saw a product that they hoped could help them achieve their goals.

Some other customers backed or pre-ordered the phone because they wanted hackable phone hardware. At this point, from their perspective, the phone is ready and they don’t care about paying for app development, for example.

6 Likes

I am okay with people expressing their opinions, positive and negative.

My only contention is around context. It is possible to be unrealistic on either side of that line.

The upside from the pros / cons conversation here and in other threads is that ALL OF US are learning about the dire state of the electronics industry in the west.

The most important lesson for all of us is that we are learning about the forces being applied on the supply side and the demand side and we need to start thinking about how to re-tool our political and economic policy base in the west to bridge that gap.

If I am to put a new order for Librem 5, i won’t see motivation to do so considering the 180 day lead time. Again, the 180-day lead time is a best-case estimate for availability of chips so, not sure what to expect after 180-days. I am implying the 180-day lead time window is not going to get pre-orders. :thinking:

1 Like

Really everyone has different opinions and background. If had more money I would buy a Librem 5 exactly now that the difficulties are higher and my help is most required. And I would do it for more than one reason. But I do understand that everyone comes from a different perspective.

2 Likes

Thank you Eyegore,

i just use a google Free Lineageos System, with free and open Source f-droid Apps. But you made a good Point about China’s Android.

However, for Chinese it may be good enough too. Cause our Mistrust is a local issue. For myself i do not mistrust Librem USA or Purism. But some groups for inspection by a Country, you have to follow as company, too. Open Source is powerful, if you check that code or reduce something.

By the way i trust google and facebook, but not with their mainstream products… just their source code and talks about Linux and computing.

Back to lead Time: I hope puri.sm start in 180 Days since 1. June. Instead of October to reproduce Librem 5.

@ kagixa
Oh I am greedy to buy a product and expect it to be delivered within a few years. LOL because you comment must be a joke. I would ask for a refund and then I would be silent as you asked, but they stopped refunds.

1 Like

Speaking of the devil, is it really sole-source China (PRC), or Taiwan? Or is it a mixed assembly via much of Southeast Asia? Due to success, some segment of their population even has a middle class with higher labor rate. Even China has figured out to subcontract some of their manufacturing to even cheaper places than them. China and Vietnam may have the same labor relationship as the U.S. and Mexico for example.

1 Like

If I need a new phone and need it “now” then would I be buying a phone that will get delivered after 6-months? Or I would buy whatever I get at earliest?
I would be more inclined to buy a phone that says “In-Stock, Now Shipping” . Think about it.

That is happening with Taiwanese companies, but not with Chinese companies. So far Chinese companies aren’t going to cheaper countries to use their labor. Right now Samsung, LG, Canon, Intel and Foxconn (a Taiwanese company) do assembly in Vietnam.

The Chinese brands and the Chinese ODMs/EMSs have mostly stayed at home, and if they go abroad, it is to places like India and Brazil, which have huge tariffs on imported electronics and incentives to make electronics inside their borders. However, it has been reported that Xiaomi and Luxshare (a Chinese EMS that assembles Apple Airpods) are looking at setting up assembly factories in Vietnam, so they might start following the example of the Taiwanese in the future.

3 Likes

“Greediness” in your case is having schedule expectations at all about something about which you should never put any expectation, even after having paid. But you should have known that years ago, not now. You will get something in the end, either a phone or your money back. What you cannot get back is exactly the time about which you are complaining, despite that was a gift you decided to make when you financed a crowdfunding campaign. “Now” is the word that you should forget – not “phone”, not “money back”, only “now”.

2 Likes

If I need a phone and need it now I would never buy anything delivered via mail. I just go to the shop now and buy whatever I find there.

1 Like

Well I’m only talking purchased parts. It isn’t like there is always a national agenda in force to stay domestic. If a Chinese buyer can farm out a part that will cost .00000101 an RMB vs another subcontractor that costs .00000102, they will do it no matter which country it comes from. Labor isn’t factored in purchased parts. I’ll never say never, manufacturing software is normally closed source (Ha ha!).

I’ve also had Chinese engineers enter a looping Bill of Material and crash production for a day, everyone makes mistakes.

There is a thing called overnight delivery. So, Yes shopping online is as good as buying it from shop, eh?

I can not understand your logic. You might need to see a doctor or something Can anyone else figure this post out? Something about time I can not get back I think. I placed an order for a product and years later the product is still not delivered. Very simple! Your next post is just as “out there”.

I got the email today saying 180 days for delivery, mine has been back ordered a measly 7 months. I have zero faith I will see a phone today, next week, or in 180 days. I can get a refund in a snap with or without Librem’s agreement but I think this phone is the way to go, I am staying in line, but I am not amused by the delivery circus.

1 Like

My theory: Purism has the shittiest suppliers ever. It’s a bad look made worse by the current state of affairs. I don’t envy them.

From another, positive point of view, the delivery of my order can be a great surprise for one of my descendants :smile:

3 Likes

Please don’t insult. That will get deleted next time.

2 Likes

There is a disclaimer on Kickstarter that tells you that you might get it, you might not, it’s not a guarantee 100% of the time. But at least Purism has been forthcoming (on some things). But it’s neither here nor there. I’m actually thinking about upgrading to the L5 USA just because it’s not made in China and I like the idea of fighting interdiction.

By the way, I got an email saying I’ll get another email in about a week about my 2-year old order for my L5.