When will the L5 be a Matrix-powered smartphone?

Since the beginning of this project, the Librem 5 is announced as the " first ever Matrix-powered smartphone, natively using end-to-end encrypted decentralised communication in its dialer and messaging app."

The integration work has already started on Gnome Chats (Chatty) with purple-matrix, the matrix.org plugin for libpurple.
But the git doesn’t seem to have been active for months and it lacks many functions to make it usable on a daily basis.

Gnome Fractal is the other app designed to use matrix protocole, but oriented to public rooms.
There are more features than in purple-matrix and it’s also an convergent app but it is not an official software supported by Element. The resources are less and development progresses more slowly.
The main limitation is the lack of encryption I think.

As for Gnome calls, I couldn’t find any matrix integration work on the git.

Despite the delays in the hardware development of the Librem 5, the smartphone is still far from being Matrix-powered.
Do you think that the situation could evolve quickly, despite the development of purple-matrix which seems to be abandoned by matrix.org?

Purism maintains a matrix server via Librem Chat, so they will certainly continue to integrate this into PureOS, but how long will this take in the face of other priorities?

6 Likes

That is an interesting question imo … :slight_smile:

Regarding chatty and therefore purple-matrix, clearly this software (purple-matrix) lacks development effort so, unless Purism (or anyone else) would be willing to invest time from their dev to improve purple-matrix, I do not see this as a viable option any time soon.

On the Fractal side, I have more hopes from this one to be honest: Fractal has a GSOC student (Alejandro Domínguez) and part of the work planned is to migrate from their own matrix API implementation (the crate called fractal-matrix-api) to matrix-rust-sdk (see here).
matrix-rust-sdk would help support E2EE and cross-signing which is a must for private chats since most matrix users are using Riot/Element. I would certainly keep an eye on Fractal and what their GSOC student delivers in the coming weeks.

Finally, there might be some PWA options. I think FluffyChat ships a PWA and support E2EE. Althought riot-web does not support mobile, it is listed as with experimental support on their git repo and few pull requests got merged to improve rendering on small screens.

2 Likes

Very good news about fractal!

Latest news about Fractal:

1 Like