Wifi/bluetooth issues

Yep, sorry for the confusion, I tested this one, too. On this site they call the 3.2.2.16 with ā€œRS9116_NLINK_WLAN_BT_IMAGE.FW2.3.2.3.rpsā€. I stuck to the naming convention on that site.

1 Like

@dos @angus.ainslie @guido.gunther there is a new driver for Redpine: https://github.com/SiliconLabs/RS911X-nLink-OSD/blob/master/ReleaseNotes_OSD.pdf

1 Like

On the driver side there as some changes for STA + AP mode on then some BT driver fixes. I have not tried integrating those into our tree.

I have tested the updated FW and it does not work with the mainline driver and I see no really improvement with the proprietary driver but my testing has been limited so far.

2 Likes

Thanks @carlosgonz. Perhaps this issue is fixed? They write

Bluetooth
- Added a fix to initiate AFH periodically to resolve the BT and Wi-Fi hang issue.
- Resolved the Wi-Fi ping issue that used to occur while connecting to BT in CoEx Mode in the CC0/AA0 modules based on chip version 1.3
1 Like

Yeah @pit maybe we get WLAN and WPAN working together and more fixes on general including powersave. :cowboy_hat_face:

Thanks from my side (as well), done!

@pit your postings are important (and inspiring :blush: to me), so here few things that are related to: sudo journalctl -b | grep 'Operating mode', as @guido.gunther wrote for public use:

where val:
          13 - Wi-Fi station + BT dual mode
          14 - Wi-Fi AP + BT dual mode

As well (as written within Page 9) explained here:

And this post (thread) is additionally explained how to: Bluetooth not found but service runs no default controller. Just replaced current one (see two red marked lines, as linked, I removed dev_oper_mode=5 line) + wlan_rf_power_mode=0x00:
options redpine_91x dev_oper_mode=13 rsi_zone_enabled=1 antenna_diversity=1 wlan_rf_power_mode=0x00

For above working changes, Iā€™ve used sudo/root rights over JumpDrive connection. Please make backup of the original .conf file, as first step (simply add BKP folder over there, in order not to change owner, and copy+rename original file ā€¦).

Partially proofed with:
cat /sys/module/rsi_91x/parameters/rsi_zone_enabled

@pit, Iā€™m not there yet (not for real), but still wanted to give some direction that should help you with your BT issue. Take care.

2 Likes

Not for me. ā€œmusic playback on Bluetooth speakers continues without glitches in the backgroundā€ It was not choppy. It was definitely usable. For clarity: I was playing something off the uSD card, rather than playing something off the server, which would then be being accessed via WiFi.

Obviously there are a lot of variables e.g. Bluetooth version of speakers, data rate to speakers (in my case, stereo), specific make and model of speakers, whether Bluetooth Low Energy is a requirement, WiFi/BT card operating mode.

I havenā€™t tested WiFi speed. How did you test? iperf3 ? Obviously there are a lot of variables there too. For a start, 2.4 GHz v. 5 GHz.

That is presumably outside Purismā€™s control. Redpine Signals is at least just down the road from Purism though. :wink:

@irvinewade please share your: sudo dmesg | grep redpine i am fully tracking this bt chopping issue on L5R4

Slightly snipped output was already posted above yesterday. Anything specific that is missing from that output that you wanted to see?

It is not complete like oper_mode parameters.

I edited the post above to add more info. Is that what you wanted?

That fine thank you.

I have tested with speedtest (command line, apt install speedtest-cli) and on the browser. Results were nearly identical (if I let the browser know my location). The bluetooth audio (playing local files from lollypop) was very choppy on 1.2, and very acceptable from 2.0 onwards. I only tested 2.4GHz, since I had a connection issue on 5GHz on 1.2 (which I did not further inverstigate in).

Does speedtest-cli do the tests against a server in Internet?

1 Like

Yes, I would be concerned about that unless you have a 1 Gbit/sec fibre internet connection (and, ok, a 100 Mbit/sec internet connection would probably be adequate for this WiFi card on the 2.4 GHz band).

Regardless I would not test WiFi performance with a server on the internet and I would not test performance of your internet connection via WiFi.

1 Like

OK i got the bug for issues between WPAN(bt) and WLAN(Wifi) on Redpine. I have the last firmware RS9116.NB0.NL.GNU.LNX.OSD.2.3.2.0003 there is a newer firmware (RS9116.NB0.NL.GNU.LNX.OSD.2.5.1.11) not yet shipped to L5.

I found that Redpine driver it has too many issues to work on AP and WPAN, so changing the router from AP to AD_HOC protocol everything work good on Librem 5. I found too that Redpine driver it required that WPAN devices get connected first than WLAN devices, so doing this step you can get wifi and bt working at the same time without issues for stutering or interruptions.
I hope that @dos ship the newer firmware fast to Librem 5 to get better compatibilities with AP 4+c Routers.

Mmm i have one more idea to trick AP work on Librem 5, but i untested. Like connect the Librem 5 on AP with less 3 clients on the Router but first connect bt client then wifi to router. I unable to do this test ATM.

1 Like

I got lot of confused because something it not matching on Redpine on Driver and Firmware like:

Current ā€™ sudo dmesg | grep redpine ā€™ it showing like

redpine_91x: FW Version|: 1.2.20.0 < ā€“ THIS NUMBER CONFUSE ME because has to be matched with driver version.
redpine_91x: RSI FW Version|: 0000.1.2.0.0502
redpine_91x: Driver Version|: RS9116.NB0.NL.GNU.LNX.OSD.2.0.0.0024

I guess that this need to be like

redpine_91x: FW Version: 2.0.0.0024
redpine_91x: RSI FW Versio|: 2.0.0.0024
redpine_91x: Driver Version|: RS9116.NB0.NL.GNU.LNX.OSD.2.0.0.0024

Seems like that RPS file only ship firmware not driver, then the Firmware need to match with version Driver, it seems that current Librem 5 kernel it shipping driver version: 2.0.0.0024 so we need burn the correct firmware like *2.0.0.0024.rps even if burn *2.0.0.0024.rps it not show matching on dmesg redpine, then the braves peoples can be confused, and making malfuntion on bt and wlan.

Just reporting to you my current output (without any comment from my side, need to go out now anyway), but still and hopefully helping you somehow:

FW Version : 3.2.2.16
RSI FW Version : 1610.3.2.2.0003
Driver Version : RS9116.NB0.NL.GNU.LNX.OSD.2.0.0.0024

uname -r
5.17.0-1-librem5

1 Like

@Quarnero Yeah you are running a wrong Firmware too same like me before, then i catched later the wrong.
On Linux 5.17 still shipping redpine driver RS9116.NB0.NL.GNU.LNX.OSD.2.0.0.0024 so you need burn again the correct Firmware like: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/redpine-firmware-nonfree/-/raw/master/files/firmware/RS9116_NLINK_WLAN_BT_IMAGE.FW2.0.0.24.rps

1 Like

Thanks! Iā€™ll replace firmware that Iā€™m currently running this upcoming weekend.

1 Like