Wifi Speed is slow

Hello,

I’ve got a new Librem 15 v4 and I’m testing my download speed. Other devices are testing at much higher speeds, around 25 Mbps. My Librem 15 is only downloading at 5 Mbps. Interestingly, the upload speed outpaced the download speed.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

In a different post, you changed your wifi band to be able to get a connection.
Do you know which band you’re running on now?
If you’re using your Librem 15 in an area where you previously had connectivity issues, you could still be seeing performance issues for the same reason.
Without knowing what your wifi network setup is like, it’s hard to troubleshoot this sort of issue.
At home I have a system acting as the primary wireless router for the house and a couple access point repeaters in other areas of the house to ensure we can always get a strong signal. The caveat to this is that sometimes a device doesn’t “let go” of a weaker access point when moving to a different area of the house and performance issues can ensue until it decides to pick the stronger one or I manually make it reconnect.

Yes, this is true. I switched to 2.4Ghz, a slower speed than the 5 Ghz when I was trying to connect to the Internet from my office and experiencing some sort of interference. Later, I learned that a slower speed actually passes through walls more easily that a faster speed, thus switching over solved my first problem. That being said, I have another laptop that I am running on a 2.4Ghz band and that laptop is getting 25Mbps whereas this laptop is only getting 6.06Mbps. It may also be helpful to mention that I have just one router.

Related:

https://forums.puri.sm/t/how-to-speed-up-wifi-on-librem-laptops/12184