Will the Librem 5 be upgraded to the specs of the Liberty Phone at some point?

In other words upgrading memory and storage?

Not sure if Purism would benefit from that by consolidating parts, by which I mean buying and holding the same components in stock for both variants instead of separate.

I already own a Librem 5 and would not buy an additional Liberty Phone, but I would consider to buy another Librem 5 if it had the better specs and my first Librem 5 could become a development device. Maybe later giving it to a family member if I am convinced that it meet’s their needs.

2 Likes

This has been discussed in previous threads before. Memory and storage are hard integrated to the circuit board, so not likely that those would be upgradable. Best idea that was floated [that I can remember] was that if Purism would sell just the main board for DIY upgrades (or have a shop do it for you) but that never got any reply.

1 Like

@francois-techene

Currently Purism has not announced plans to upgrade the internal hardware components of the Librem 5 to match the Liberty Phone. Try contacting Purism about your inquiries and let us know if they are willing to answer them.

willing

FTFY :wink:

That’s true but I don’t think that’s what the OP is asking. The upgrade is to the specs, not to an actual, given, existing phone.

That may be complicated, given that the only model that has the upgraded specs is the Made in USA edition, whereas you are talking about upgrading the specs of the Made in China edition - and so Purism may have no strict need to procure or hold parts for manufacturing for the latter anyway.

In no way, shape or form do I speak for Purism or have I ever spoken for Purism … but if it were my call, I would be looking at my inventory levels of the existing spec phone before deciding that / announcing that.

2 Likes

Yes, L5/Liberty spec upgrades and standalone mainboards are coming, but I cannot provide a date at this time. Certain compatibility restrictions may apply, based on the chassis or PCB version; Purism will provide documentation on how to determine compatibility. Legacy models will still be supported in the form of RMA, out-of-warranty repair, or PureOS updates. Legacy models would likely be featured in an attractive sale until they are out of stock.

15 Likes

Thank you. Sounds great.

3 Likes

Great enough to mark @JCS’s post as a solution.

3 Likes