WOW new gnome mobile looks incredible

I think I like the new features, but I’m in no rush. Perfectly content to wait for the Gnome team to squash the bugs and for Purism to upstream whatever is needed for the L5.

2 Likes

i’ve installed postmarketOS/Alpine with Gnome Shell on Mobile.
Gnome Mobile does a lot of things better. a few others are better on Phosh.
There are too many differences to list them all here.

Gnome on Mobile, however, feels fresher and more modern.
The docking mode is very buggy e.g. changing screen scaling.

The installation is definitely worth it.
make up your own mind:
https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Pmbootstrap
https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Purism_Librem5_(purism-librem5)#Flash_Mode
(for flashing you need a USB-A to USB-C cable)

may both (phosh&gnome mobile) efforts can be joined?

3 Likes

Is it as fast/snappy as Phosh? In my imagination a fully featured GNOME could be heavier and therefore a bit slower on the Librem 5. :thinking:

I’ve been using gnome mobile on pinephone since this thread started.
and I’ve another thread open in case someone knows how to run multiple DEs on phone.
(I’m ignoring sluggishness of pinephone, this happens for phosh as well)
Basically recent updates to gnome mobile made it very good to use (interface and lock screen integration), it is at the point where it can be run on phone (with data and call connectivity) but I am waiting to see if I can run multi DE.

1 Like

How did you flash it. Can I do it with jumpdrive like the pinephone

there are two different options to get it on the phone.

1. download an image (https://postmarketos.org/download/) and put it on sd card and boot from it.
    L5 Phone Dual boot
  2. build your own image (the two links in my previous post) on your pc and
    a) put it on sd card (and boot from it)
    b) flash it directly to the phone

i did 2b)
haven’t done the other installation methods but i can try to support you, if you want?

building the image on your own has the advantage that you can build most recent images with

• phosh
  • gnome on mobile
  • plasma
  • etc.

next I’ll try plasma.

1 Like

Thank you. I need to get a linux laptop first I’m debating between librem14 or system76

On Librem5 I haven’t notice any difference. both, posh & gnome mobile are not as fluent as andriod and iphone.

1 Like

gnome on mobile uses gdm where phosh not.
in theory one could add another desktop like plasma or kodi-standalone to postmarketOS/gnome mobile.
i think pruism should transit to gdm giving the users the most freedom. more will happen!

1 Like

You should definitely post some video or screenshots here

if gdm provides option to pick session (phosh/gnome), then it still works

i read somewhere that phosh and gnome mobile will not work via gdm in parallel due to some library in-compatibility. the same libraries have differed.
if true, one of both currently!

with current phosh

• no other window manager

with gnome mobile

• all other window manger poosible, but NOT phosh

You’re already free to use gdm on your phone and have it launch phosh session instead of relying on phosh.service that’s used by default.

2 Likes

any plans to have it as default login screen?
it looks also better!

I am happy with what we have and would like to see Purism focused on other areas like power consumption, GPS services, etc.

4 Likes

& bluetooth (Bluetooth stuttering)
true!

1 Like

ok nice so basically disable phosh.service and run gdm to pick session.

btw: is there a way to see Purism is working on?

Gnome shell mobile is still experimental, and it is not yet merged in to gnome proper. At the moment it is a patched version for development. There are still several quality of life features missing (that already exist in phosh) and several stuff to be sorted out.

In the Edge version of postmarketos provided for development.

4 Likes

Thanks joao