Adjusting Touch/Tap/Swipe

I can confirm this description. I find that my fingertip must be placed onto a key of the keyboard with much more care/precision than with an iPhone or Android. If not, it’s easy for me to get two characters typed with a single keypress. I type much more slowly, and with more errors, with the L5 keyboard. For me, it certainly takes some getting used to.

3 Likes

I’m not saying you are wrong but bear in mind that e.g. iPhone is doing autocorrect all the time. I can be a fairly crap typist on the iPhone and it mostly comes out OK. The Librem 5 does not yet have autocorrect, I think. If that is correct then for an apples-to-um-apples comparison you would want to turn autocorrect off on the iPhone i.e. Settings / General / Keyboards / turn off all the smarts and make you type exactly what you want.

1 Like

Three different people! You’re really compromised now. Are you sure one of them isn’t your handler?

(Cold war humor, don’t mind me.)

FWIW, I have never had a problem with my L5’s keyboard, with either amber or byzantium. Has always worked as expected for me.

Sounds like @sharon’s and @zimmy’s software is malfunctioning.

1 Like

Umm, add Sharton, Bethany, and Jim to that list. They have cell phones and have for a long time, except Jim. All 3 had issues trying to type on this, trying to swipe. If it was software, I think there’d be more issues with pad. As I said, one only need to be near, not touching, and load something up, or when typing, must be fast. and accurate with each tap on a letter or get 2 or 3 copies of the llletter and that’s without touching the paadd :slight_smile: Maybe, it’s our electric personalities.

I think this might be a Evergreen. Maybe it’s a different pad than amber or byzantium.

Am following @leetaur suggestion to look for demons running in background.

Hi and thanks.
I see htop is like ProcessExplorer for Windows.
Stopping ‘tracker’ didn’t show anything different. In Usage it still shows up 70% - 80% beside Usage.
Know of a exorcist? :slight_smile:

In Usage, the graph/screen pauses every 5 seconds. I set it to “show all processes.” and when it pauses it draws a red line in the graph showing zero to top of chart. I wonder, could it be a bung Usage program?

When tapping, it may be that when tap, and nothing, several times, if the first tap wasn’t during the brief pause, and starts when the pause (about 1 - 3 seconds).

@Sharon, as I somehow asked earlier: Screen protector for the Librem 5 and if this applies there:

I cannot find any protective cover over the screen. There was none when out of the box. But, it could still be there, but doesn’t appear to be and if it is, which I doubt, I’ve no idea how to remove it. Around the speaker area, the speaker hole is perfectly aligned, so I think there is no plastic shipping cover.

I checked for a plastic cover using a plastic tipped tool and it doesn’t find anything. Looks like it is not the case.

~s

Already filed an issue with squeekboard:
<World/Phosh/squeekboard#364>

At least one of the issues with reliable typing on squeekboard is that swipe to type is enabled by default. Where iOS keyboard does not allow swipe to type (i.a. only one letter at a time).

This i believe can be improved without relying on any prediction since it goes to and addresses the root cause of the issue (which is unintended key selection regardless of reason)

Evergreen is a hardware batch name. Almost everyone has a phone from the Evergreen batch.

amber and byzantium are operating system (software) release code names. amber is old. Any recent phone will come with byzantium, including I suggest your phone. To check yours: lsb_release -c

Unfortunately I don’t think this is a valid test. Usage itself sucks up so much that I see usage of 69% to 72% just running Usage - on my phone, which works fine and normally. I think you will need to use e.g. top (where the top command shows itself using only 1% to 2%)

(which reminds me :open_mouth: I still have a web server running on my phone).

2 Likes

I marked this as solved because it addresses the Usage usage program being high.

I can swipe and nothing. Swipe 6 - 8 times, and it kicks in.
I can tap in a sentence i.e. ‘Down with demolitions’’ and if it’s the right time, I might get ‘Down with de’ and tap that ‘m’ key several times before it registers ‘mmmmolition’. There is a pattern to the degree of pauses where everything freezes for a few seconds. Manually counting between them is about 13 seconds. Every 13 seconds there is a freeze for only a few seconds.

To be clear, 13 seconds and freeze for 3-5, continue for 13 seconds, repeat or freezing stops for awhile… But, it can stop and not be so mean for some time, 5 minutes, maybe 10 and it starts again.

~s

This is output that you’d like to see (check and confirm) on your phone screen:

1 Like

Well, um, I said it already but I’ll say it again … I really think you should be contacting Purism support. Something isn’t right. “No one” else is having a similar problem. It can be hard to understand what you are observing without actually seeing it. Someone might want remote access into the phone in order to investigate (and that should be Purism support, not some random on the internet 1).

However it might also be suggested that you need to reflash the phone in order to make a clean start and potentially eliminate config or software problems. I don’t know whether you are up for that.

1 We get scam calls all the time telling us that our Windows computer has been compromised and is responsible for criminal activity but that the helpful man on the phone will be able to fix the problem with remote access. Not that we personally have a Windows computer …

1 Like

Well, I’m happy for “everyone else”. But I’m more concerned with this device, not theirs.

I read a lot of other’s issues and by the replies, I thought they were getting support in this forums.puri.sm arena. OK, I’ll look for support.
~s

1 Like

Since I get bashed for not responding to every reply, I tried before, and still tried again, but:

1. This is a old phone.
    I tried tried to get a picture and by sheer luck, I got a screenshot of the results from using

Unfortunately, some fixes rolled in this a.m. and the camera no longer loads, but I did get this before it died.
%$#$T&I!!!
Never mind, on upload it says it can’t accept, only gif, png (but not MY png’s!)
This thing is so possessed!
I’ll take a pic with a real camera and IF I can see the pic, then I’ll upload (embed I think is the word) to this reply.
I did do as told and sent a request to support@puri.sm (I hope that was the right lace. Not easy to find them).

It didn’t bounce back. I didn’t get any auto-reply that it was received so I’ve no idea if they even got it.

What DID show up on the device was a lot more headache. I managed to login with a 109 Bit 20 Channel 20 character password. On the devices keyboard, the extremely overly sensitive tap. 22 channel.

The image’s are there, I can open them, but when uploading and the forum goes silly about only accepting…, png … but doesn’t say why it won’t accept my png. Gee, wouldn’t be the devices fault would it?

1 Like

I haven’t, I don’t and I won’t - trust me.
~S

I’ll trade ya! :smirk:

Please open (with Image Viewer or Shotwell) related .png file and Save it as: .jpg (in order to be able to upload related screenshot). Sorry for not bringing that up earlier.

EDIT:

Are you (already) familiar with uuu package and (as correlated) with the Jumpdrive usage?

I uploaded png here before. But maybe the fixes fixed it, so I need to get a new program to vie, change the format and upload that. I hope I can remember all this stuff. Does everyone else have to take a pic, change the format, then upload?

I’ve been on this all day today, it’s nearing midnight and I turn into a real … so tomorrow then.
~s

1 Like

@Quarnero
I just did as requested and uploaded a jpg file. Site still says …“is not authorized (authorized extension: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp)”
~s

1 Like

I’m about to check this. Also and related to our next day conversation:

My upload test (.jpg file is on this forum converted to .jpeg extension, as visible when opened within new Tab) was successful (I’ve made another post with upload today as well). Perhaps you might want to Save as related file to .jpeg right away. Perhaps log out from this Forum => log in helps there.

EDIT: If you are indeed out of working space (and you never wanted to accept this as a fact), and if I’m guessing right (as I do not know for sure) and as you already introduced yourself to @marcf post, df -kh / and expansion of / partition related, are you out of /home directory space there?

Furthermore, @Sharon, upload might therefore not work from Librem 5 (if available partition space is at its minimum) and by copy of this screenshot to some external USB drive (or external SD card device over USB-C port) you’ll be able to upload it (or attach it to the related E-mail) from another computer.