Apps you want on the L5

On the other hand, the graphics chip on the Librem 5 is meatier than that found in the Pi. Overclocking it might not be necessary.

2 Likes

Minecraft is mostly a CPU bound game however. I doubt the GPU will make much of a difference.

Minecraft can be GPU-bound if one uses enough shaders, although those fancy aren’t actually needed to run it.

Hi!
What I need for sure is a app for my keepass keys. Thats very important for me.

greetz
AndrewLucky

Checkout GNOME Password Safe, which was already demoed on the Librem 5 devkit

https://www.flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnome.PasswordSafe

1 Like

@ developers /members Foobar2000 community

BUMPING the Foobar2000 app request

Please consider developing a dedicated [edit: and native] Foobar2000 app which does not runs through Wine or WineBottler such as Snapcraft . Foobar2000 Arch Linux native package is currently maintained by their community

1 Like

Does Foobar2000 have advantages over VLC?

yes, it doesn’t play as many formats as VLC :wink:

1 Like

It is my understanding that everything that is compiled to run in Linux using an ARM core, is already on the Librem 5. So perhaps it is a bit like running an app through a small hole. It still runs. I rooted an Android phone and put Linux Deploy and then Debian on it. From there, I had access to all of the Linux apps, including Wine and a few Windows programs… on my Android phone. It works and the GUI is a bit unwieldy. But with a few swipes and resizes, it works just fine. The only difference on the Librem 5 is that you won’t be trapped inside of a small chroot environment, that lacks access to your USB port and some other peripherals. You’ll be root and free.

2 Likes

For me the bit-perfect kernel streaming support has been the most important feature to keep Foobar2000 as #1 music playback software

1 Like

Yes, Swedish only: “The name Tungsten came from the other important tungsten ore, which is now called scheelite. In 1750, this heavy mineral was discovered in the Bispberg´s iron mine in the Swedish province Dalecarlia. The first person who mentioned the mineral was Axel Frederik Cronstedt in 1757, who called it Tungsten {composed of the two Swedish words tung (heavy) and sten (stone)} due to its density close to 6.” As Sweden has the best known ore for the fine grained high purity carbon steel, tungsten was as well introduced in the Japan history/tradition as part of the blue steel (Aogami). P.S. @TungstenFilament, coincidentally Nikola Tesla was born in Europe too.

1 Like

Are there pre-ARM-compiled programms? How to know which? And can other programms made to run on the L5 by simply recompile them for / on ARM?

Yes, iMX8 uses same core arch as Raspberry PI3 (Cortex-A53) so there are pre-compiled binaries and cross-compilers which you can use to compile yourself.

1 Like

Looks like SuperTuxKart was just ported:
https://matrix.org/_matrix/media/r0/download/talk.puri.sm/mFFWkrEXaFkZQhwkBRgZakzt

I’m still working on anbox.

10 Likes

I would like to have:

telegram

whatsapp

threema
https://threema.ch

and the app for my local metro schedule.

Those are the essential ones. Is there some way to install Android apps in a shell ?

1 Like

Not at Day 1.

Would be cool to have snapcraft…

About your Anbox video:

https://matrix.to/#/!BSqRHgvCtIsGittkBG:talk.puri.sm/$157053290525463HjYeb:talk.puri.sm?via=talk.puri.sm&via=matrix.org&via=librem.one

interesting to only list a bunch of Google Play Apps like if f-droid don’t exist

You might have an interest in this article

I would like to have a program for controlling surveillance cameras from Librem 5. It is easy to look att the video using VLC but controlling a PTZ camera from Linux is difficult. There are however several Android apps which can control a PTZ cameras (pan, tilt, zoom) so it should not be too difficult to move some to Librem 5.

Surveillance is a useful application for a smart phone but a lot of the IP cameras has rotten security and privacy themselves. It is not only a question of checking if crooks are moving in your home but also to have a look at technical equipment. I think it is very useful to get both picture and audio to see if everuthing is OK.

2 Likes