Audiophile question

problem is true Hi-Fidelity Audio gear is a niche market (proprietary or not). quality audo gear is also expensive and the current DRM(ed) digital streaming options don’t make it any less easy on us Audiophiles. you can still get proper CDs or Vinyls and it’s not common enough to see teenagers or young people going out of-their-way to search for these.

it would be awesome if Purism would at some point offer a DRM free music collection in a Hi-Fi format like FLAC as a digital alternative to the online iMusicThing. for me the preferance is Classical, Movie Soundtrack and Original-Game-SoundTrack.

1 Like

FYI, last week I have been in contact with xDuoo about their upcoming XD-05 PLUS DAC/amp (see earlier comment re specs).

I explained the open-hardware and software concept and given them some examples of how this concept can actually contribute to our common goals. xDuoo have responded they will be looking at this option. Will report back.

3 Likes

Short update regarding Xduoo XD-05 PLUS and new to be announced XD-05 PRO edition can be found in edit 2 here. This will give the company some extra time to seriously consider the open hardware and software.

1 Like

I actually took the audiophile test and could not only distinguish 128kpbs from 320kbps from Flac lossless , I was actually able to correctly list them in order by sound .

I have really sensitive ears . Im one of not many people that can hear 60,000khz .

3 Likes

you’re a bat not a “people” then :wink: just like a military-jet pilot only for sound :smiley:

2 Likes

@developers watching this audiophile thread, please consider a native Foobar2000 /mobile app

I’m sorry, but this is really hard to believe. What tests did you perform to find this out?

2 Likes

could you please open up another thread and link to that one ?

Idk. I don’t wanna have a thread not related to L5 and Purism products. Would rather delete the post if it creates issues. And maybe just DM the biggest audiophile enthusiasts here :slight_smile:
Seriously, it doesn’t mage sense to me

neither do i :joy: but there is a lot of that going around these days …

1 Like

Right, to even play a 60 kHz signal (even though he said 60,000 kHz) you’d need something more like an ultrasonic transducer than what is generally thought of as a speaker.

1 Like

i think he meant to say it was hz instead wrote by mistake khz … but yeah tens of thousands kilohertz is unreal :sweat_smile:

1 Like

one was multiple choice in random order by format 128kbs 320 and flac lossless and I had a 85% success rate and only got the first 2 wrong once I figured out what exactly I was listening for I got 100% from the 3rd on to the end.

And the 60k khz I listened to a pure 60k tone and correctly called the initiation and termination of the tone several times with my eyes closed soley by sound .

To be honest both tests I mean the variant from even 128kbs to lossless was incredibly not noticeable I had to really concentrate to hear the lac of compression of FLAC

And the 60khz tone Again the difference between that sound and nothing as it went too high was .0000000001% I actually heard it above the ambient tinitus frequency .

And It cut out at 70khz as I tried to call the initiation and termination of the tone but it just bled into nothing . I think I may have heard it but I couldnt be sure and I certainly couldnt call the start and stop . Whether this was due to the super tweeters lack of ability to reproduce the 70khz tone reaching its threshold or my limit to what I can hear I dont know . But I was using a studio monitor allegedly capable of 60k khz and I did call the start stop several times with no warning or time scale to start listening .

I am an anomaly with my hearing . its incredibly sensitive . My dead zone is about I dunno 12-18k khz as that is the ambient resident tinitus frequency that is present all the time.

2 Likes

Wow, you really do have incredible hearing!
We are going to have to change your name from “some_dude36” to “bat_dude36”!
Is this the same reason why you are effected by wireless signals that don’t bother most other people?

4 Likes

Effected ? I think the tinitus is from too manny concerts and subwoofers in my vehicles over the years.

2 Likes

Bumping the request to @developers to consider making a native Foobar2000 mobile app, referring to the wishlist thread

As a Tidal user, I wonder if there is any way that can use Tidal music on other devices? I had found some tools like Windows Tidal Music Converter, etc. Had anyone used this kind of tools?

These kind of converters look like an ideal and affordable way to extend your personal music library.

Afaik Tidal business model per definition does not allow copying DRM protected contents, just temporary downloading on the device – you will never be owning the content legally.

From the artists’ point of view, their revenues depend on the number of playback, downloading the contents would be violating their interest. Just like downloading contents from newsgroups is illegal in every country.

Please note that the AudFree Terms of Use is explicitly stating “make sure the copyright law in your country allows copying digital media files”. Even in my country, which has been very progressive when it comes to both uploading and downloading of contents, I highly doubt I could successfully win a case like this if Tidal was to prosecute me over downloading ‘their’ files. Even the AudFree terms of use will exclude any claims in that regard (see ‘Indemnification’) and you’ll be on your own.

What is the legal status of AudFree and similar companies, their products and where do they reside? What if Tidal decides to incorporate a new code in their database that would prevent copying content via AudFree? Would you get refunded by those entities? What if Tidal, based on your personal (meta)data decides to claim any royalties from you based on the list of contents downloaded by you that have been freed of DRM protection? Not trying to spook you here but they should be able to do that with just a single mouse click.

Many audio playback (edit:) devices nowadays are ‘Tidal ready’ in order to keep that business model in place for both Tidal and the artist. To be on the safe side and if you choose to stream content (no ownership) rather than downloading it (HD-Tracks and others, you own the content legally) just make sure all your devices are capable of streaming/temporary download the content.

I use brave browser to listen to my tidal music on Linux. If you go to the site, on the right side of the button is a small gray icon, click it and it’ll “install” it as an app on your computer (it behaves more as a separate instance of the web browser, like a bookmark you store on your desktop). I haven’t thought to check if it actually downloads the music filesz though I doubt it does. It works, though I can’t say how well it would work on the L5.

WAVE

Support LDAC to Librem 5

Gnu Crimson: As the Librem 5 will be capable to stream Raw Data over WPAN or JACK, so get ready your HD audio Headphones and Files