Battery? - what battery?

Charge on my Purism 5 goes down to 0 in 1 hour. Turned off everything not needed and it still uses power too fast. Have to keep the phone turned off and carry a charger everywhere I carry the Purism 5.

Something is definitely wrong with your phone. Maybe a virus? You should try to reinstall the PureOS. Mine can stay with the modem on for about 10 hours.

Thanks. Many of the issues were solved with a upgrade. A full reinstall is my last resort.
Appreciate the thoughts
~f

1 Like

I find most ‘upgrades’ anywhere is just another beta test. Upgrades always look good on paper and on the latest hardware. I’m retentive when it comes to M$ upgrades, patches, fixes etcetera, so I wait until their upgrades and such have been out for at least 4 weeks, then I review their forums to see just how buggy the upgrade is before installing that one. Habits are hard to break.

In the case of the L5, we started out with A LOT of bugs and catching up. The reason why we publish upgrades is to get rid of them. Windows has been some 30 years on the market, they had time to catch up already. They update for different reasons.

1 Like

Easy:

In the PureOS store, using the magnifying glass icon, search for “screen shot” (two words) to find and install Purism’s own L5-adapted application: List of Apps that fit and function well [Post them here.]

Then search “screen recorder” to find and install Screen Recorder: List of Apps that fit and function well [Post them here.]
(Also choose a video player to work in conjunction with that, as described in the link.)

By the way, in the software store, in the Preferences, you’ll have to enable “Show Incompatible Applications” - a misnomer, actually, as many (but not all!) PureOS apps outside Purism’s curated selections for the L5 will work fine, or well enough, on the L5.

Sometimes it takes a while for these to populate, as it has to load the complete catalog over the network from Purism’s repository each and every time. (My Linux Mint computers also have such a delay loading from the Mint repo.)

Thanks @amarok but I have just about run out of patience with all the reading I’ve been shown to do, then translating acronyms, and the geekinese, I’m so far, still at the starting point with a $1,200. clock.

I was not prepared for the amount of time I would have to read, the time interpreting geekinese, to find out, that the object isn’t working yet, and no idea when it will, or if, be ready. And now, to learn and retain using SSH and other commands. WHY? Never mind.

I’m told it should work out of the box. What should work? Today I find out the camera won’t work AFTER long hours of reading and reading :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: only to be told it’s not working but to “use the flashlight”. The is NO “flashlight”! And I doubt they me and for me to use a hand-held flashlight. Maybe, they mean the “Torch” Hmmm, well as candle is 4 time brighter than the dim yellow the “tocrh” outs out, if that is what they mean. So, I should carry a spotlight around with me.

There are enough disappointed friends and co-workers over this - most laugh though and tell me to buy a smart phone which they know there is no such thing.

I’m hoping I will find out what will or will not work and decide then if I sell it for parts, or keep as a reminder.

Who told you that? Both cameras work. If they don’t work for you, how does that manifest?

It was doing that before I connected it to wifi or used the phone to call anyone.

Camera has no flash told me.

It’s easy to know the camera doesn’t work by taking a number of pictures, then looking at them Voila! Looks like a explosion in a yellow-crayon factory.

I don’t know what you mean by manifest.
Do you use a translator by chance?

Too, it’s the “flashlight” (icon says “Torch”) that is a work in progress
I must have missed the memo when reviewing the ads.

Thanks

The camera works, but the flash is kind of do-it-yourself. Sorry about that.
Could you show the crayon factory explosion? I haven’t seen it on my photos. Perhaps your camera lost its configuration somehow.

As to whether I use a translator, let it remain my secret. Suffice to say, you had understood me as intended.

2 Likes

@dcz interesting you say the camera works. I can’t get the camera to work myself.

I can’t get it to snap a photo. Also, when you say it works, do you mean without having to manually adjust gain, exposure, etc? I have to manually adjust those settings to be able to see anything from the camera. Then, clicking the photo button, doesn’t work for me?

With everything I’ve been reading in these forums about the focus of work being on camera, I was assuming the camera is still not to an ideal state of functionality, operabililty? Am I mistaken on that?

1 Like

I’d love to show you. It will have to be in 2 posts, this and one more.
I will upload a pic as taken at the same time this one from a old Flip Phone that just texts, phones and pics.

The next after this will be from the device - taken by the device across from person w/ flip phone.

From Flp Phone
Photo1077

From Cell. First, I need to logoff from this Windows box. BRB hopefully can add the pic.

I’m back. This this thing decided to go from vertical to horizontal without being touched, then a minute later it opened text editor

1 Like

UPDATE:
I can’t login from device right now because the long and cumbersome password I used to sign up is pretty _____ hard, especially when I can’t see it the tap was right, or made 2-3 copies of the one key-press - which is too often. I tried.

An area of keyboard is so sensitive, I just need to hold my finger over it and it loads up what ever it wants. When tapping, very carefully and gently, I sometimes get machine gun spittle 2 or more of the same character. Oh what a world, what a world. Tomorrow. It’ll keep me off the streets and out of the pool halls :slight_smile:

“Draft” version of millipxels 0.21.0 is available since three weeks from here: Camera (Dev Preview) app crashing (already includes quite precise autofocus adjustments): apt list millipixels, download and unpack artifacts.zip file, cd to that particular Download folder and sudo dpkg --install smaller .deb file.

Automatic adjustment is held up by bugs at the moment. https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/millipixels/-/merge_requests/82

With most software you can spend any amount of time to pursue the unreachable ideal, so it depends on what you’re asking.

As for not snapping a photo, do you not get a picture file? Do you see a spinning animation? Do you have logs?

2 Likes

Sorry Sharon, for my churlish answer. It was a rational one. And i think about put your battery off if your phone is off. In Mind that your offline Phone will not need more Power, as a battery discharge by storing at atmosphere, like store a full battery in a drawer without placement in a device. Physically they still degenerate somehow.

Hope you and we, cant update our librem5 open source device to save some more energy to be lost.

@dcz @irvinewade @amarok

Was finally able to get the second pic off the L5 and uploaded.
The image as taken not with “flashlight” but with “Torch” There being no flashlight I can find.

First, with old flip phone.
cap_flip_phone_360

Now, the L5 with yellow “Torch”.

cap-crayon_360

Am I being too finicky?
~s

:open_mouth:

Funky but probably not what you want.

What does a photo from the Librem 5 look like with the “torch” off?

Like the light at the end of the tunnel, without the light = black.