Bluetooth Headset / Headphones Suitable for L5

I see this question has been asked a couple of times on the forums (most recently here: BT headset for L5 ) but I’m looking for the most up-to-date experiences from the community here.

Who is using Bluetooth headphones and/or headsets with your Librem 5? What are your experiences?

Here are some specific questions for you:

• L5 OS Version
  • Make / Model of headphones.
  • Does high-fidelity audio work?
  • Does the microphone work (headset mode)?
  • Do the buttons work (volume +/-, play/pause, next/prev)?
  • Does the phone automatically switch between profiles to enable the microphone when a call is coming in?

I’m hoping to start assembling a list of hardware that is / isn’t compatible. If we get enough contributions, maybe it could turn into a Wiki page.

3 Likes

I’ll start with the various headphones I can test…

I’m using Byzantium stable to do all my testing.

Apple Airpods Pro

• High Fidelity Playback works.
  • Headset / Microphone does not work. (The menu option is there to switch to HSP/HFP mode, but it doesn’t appear to do anything.)
  • Volume up/down works. (However this adjusts independently of the system volume.)
  • Play/pause works.

Skullcandy Hesh 3

• High Fidelity Playback works.
  • Headset / Microphone kinda works:
    • I can switch to HSP/HFP in sound settings.
    • The microphone works.
    • The audio output test produces static.
    • Taking a phone call works! The audio from the other end of the call is routed to my headphones, and my headset microphone is used for my end.
    • Automatically switching to headset mode when a call is incoming does not work.
  • Volume up/down works. (However this adjusts independently of the system volume.)
  • Play/pause works. (But not to pick up an incoming call.)

I’m having trouble confirming system support for any kind of next/previous button. I’m also having trouble confirming system support for automatically switching to headset mode when a call is coming in.

Does anybody have any headset that performs all of these functions on L5?

3 Likes

I have never used Bluetooth on my Librem 5 USA.

See also:

2 Likes

Thanks for the link! I’d love to hear from @user0 if all the functionality I listed above work with the JBL Tour Pro 2 TWS earbuds…?

2 Likes

I use:

1. Soundpeats Q30 HD
  2. Bose Quiet Comfort Headphones

Both work well for listening. I can also use them with their microphones. However, I have been told the listening experience for the person hearing me can be hit or miss.

3 Likes

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

All of the features on the smart case work, including next/last and play/pause. I haven’t tested calling, since I don’t use cellular service.

Thank you for making this Topic. I think it might make sense to move it to the Accessories category, while keeping the librem-5 tag.

2 Likes

My understanding was that the Bluetooth HSP (HeadSet Profile) simply isn’t supported (in the lower levels) yet. So I am surprised that you have a make/model where it kinda works. Maybe there has been some software progress in that area.

I don’t own a Bluetooth headset so can’t contribute any data.

Actual success in using Bluetooth generally could depend on which WiFi/BT card a phone has. How to check which WiFi card

3 Likes

Bluetooth HSP does, mostly, work if you switch the microphone setting to use the bluetooth headphone microphone. As I stated, the experience is hit or miss.

4 Likes