Crimson Experience

Camera works in Crimson?

1 Like

Specify the packages and/or Flatpaks.

In the Byzantinium release it calls itself “Camera” and is part of the distribution after flashing the phone

1 Like

Sure, but that is not the package/Flatpak, so specify it as mentioned earlier.

It was installed with the original flash of Byzantinium. Somewhere I have heard that it could be “Millipixels” or so?

ii  millipixels                                    0.22.0-1pureos1                          arm64        GTK3 camera app for mobile using the V4L2 media request API

1 Like

Millipixels has an unmet dependency.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 millipixels : Depends: libtiff5 (>=4.0.3) but it is not installable

Any way to build this missing module from GIT or any other possibility to make the Camera working?

1 Like

Provide instructions and I will execute them.

This is a question for the developers. Any way to compile/build libtiff5 in an appropriate way from sources?
There is something like silence over all the things about Crimson… Looks not very promising ATM

All has to be “pulled out of the nose” of Purism.

The lack of all informations here give me the impression to look for PM-OS as a future alternative on the L5

1 Like

I’ve gone Mobian myself. Trixie now so one version ahead of Crimson, even.

Somehow not as polished as PureOS but is close. Even supports multiple users and DEs out of the box.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it be better to have Millipixels update to libtiff6, which seems to be in there?

2 Likes

Sounds very interesting! Is there a list of things that work and of things that not work? Thanks for the info, I will make an installation if the build works stable

1 Like

Maybe, but the - non existing - answers from Purism dont give me hope about further releases and their dates. As long as Crimson seems to be FAR away - what shall we do?

2 Likes

Maybe there’s a way to point the camera app to that new lib somehow…? Tried to search something about that but gave up. Then though about circumventing the problem: what if flatpack app could be temporarily used Asenna Camera Linuxiin | Flathub (until fixed)? Not sure if it works.

1 Like

libtiff6 is already installed by default. There may already be a GitLab issue about upgrading dependency versions.

It does not detect the camera.

1 Like

Have also installed a try of mobian. Have to do some additional work to run it proper. Necessary sounds are not installed from the installer and some more minor problems. Have You any experience in receiving/missing calls when phone is in suspend mode?

1 Like

My SIM card in my L5 is data only so I have not had the chance to experience that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For crimson itself: Is there any way to upgrade a Byzaninuim system to crimson with changing repos etc. or is it a complete new flash necessary?

2 Likes

I strongly advise a fresh flash rather than change repo’s and upgrade. When I changed repos and upgraded the phone never behaved quite right again. It also would not create the .scr properly on kernel updates making it impossible to enter the decrypt password and would boot loop.

3 Likes

Necessary.