Crimson Experience

Does/will the building and beta testing of Crimson borrow resources from further hardware and software development, bug fixing and beta testing etcetera for the Byzantium/Evergreen L5?
~s

1 Like

I assume yes.

For me itā€™s unknown, how many Devs are working on Byzantium/Evergreen L5. I heard from so called ā€œwell informed folksā€ that staff was reduced. Maybe someone from Purism reads this and could comment on this or management could to a post in Posts ā€“ Purism about the future of the L5.

2 Likes

I bought this thing based on their ads
15 months later, it still wonā€™t work.
Thankfully, there are several well seasoned people that bend over backwards to help through these forums.
If it were not for the volunteers, Puri reputation would look a lot worse.

Iā€™m betting the L5 is doomed.

Thanks for your upbeat reply. :sweat_smile:

~s

1 Like

I donā€™t want to wait any more. The ads donā€™t say we have to wait. And all Iā€™ve done is wait 15 months while doing my best with the many people here who tried very hard to help me make the device do something, other than just be a $1,500.00 game of 2048!.

Quote Puri:
When you purchase a Librem 5, you can be confident that we will continue to provide security updates, privacy improvements, bug fixes, and new featuresā€¦ for the lifetime of your device, without compromising performance. Your Librem will stay secure and responsive for years to come.

When does it start? ā†š rhetorical

It only makes sense that if they laid off staff, they are not hiring more people to take care of L5 owners. They must move devs over to the Crimson arena and re-purpose the meanings behind their ad promises.

They never say what the ā€œlifetime of your deviceā€ means.

Trust is not automatic, it must be earned.
~s

2 Likes

Then you would logically sell your Librem 5 and recoup some of your funds. :wink:

2 Likes

I donā€™t take being hosed very lightly.

I asked for instructions on how to do a kernel install. That is probably where the faulty stuff lay.

I have a *10Ā¢ paperweight. How much will you give me for it?
Itā€™s gone way beyond ā€˜funnyā€™. And, snarky replies doesnā€™t cover the cost, shipping, 15 months of grief, nor money spent on paying a mobile service.

I just want this thing to at least handle hearing and understanding what anyone says via the phone, and pics w/ text. I donā€™t think Iā€™m asking too much for $1,500.00+?
You too have spent a inordinate amount of your time helping me. That too should not have happened.

My last kick at the can (cat is too violent and attracts penalties) is to use @FranklyFlawless attempt using a USB to deliver the flash, but after I get a new kernel.
Maybe I need to ask @JCS to put a quest that @support reads my request to send me instructions on inserting a kernel to maybe take the place of a faulty one before any more flash is done.

~s
*10Ā¢ due to unbridled inflation :smirk:

3 Likes

You choose to not use the option sending in the L5 for repair. Instead you choose to use this forum for venting your disapointment.
Yet you seem to forget that the forum is not a support forum. It is a community forum, no more no less.
I think, posting your dissapointment or frustration over and over again is not going to help you either.

Sorry to say this, but the only way to get out if this is to contact support and use the RMA or sell the L5 and forget about it.

7 Likes

I will add a TB microsd to my Librem5 the next days. Is there a easy way or howto to end up with separate boot Options for Development with Crimson and stable with the usual one (and maybe one for a waydroid :wink: ?

1 Like

Does anyone know if the exim4-daemon-light package is necessary? After I upgraded to Crimson, OpenSnitch alerted me to the /usr/bin/exim4 binary trying to make a network connection.

1 Like

Itā€™s an MTA = Mail Transport Agent. It might have been installed as a dependency of your mail client. To check the reverse dependency tree you can install apt-rdepends and consider the output of:

apt-rdepends -r exim4-daemon-light

[Alternatively ā€¦ and more dangerously for new people: You could simply start (but not OK) a ā€œsudo apt remove exim4-daemon-lightā€ and see which packages that depend on it will be removed. Warning: if there are no packages that depend on it ā€¦ it will be removed with no ā€œOKā€ ā€”> but that might be OK anyway and can be reversed with an install.]

2 Likes

I ended up removing it with apt and it wasnā€™t required by any of my regular apps. Curious why an MTA is now considered default on a desktop OS. I havenā€™t seen that in common use since the 1990s.

1 Like

It does seem strange to me. But I also found: https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comments/z85c2q/exim4/ . I should note that @FranklyFlawless noted about a year ago that strange things ā€¦ including exim4 ā€¦ were added to Crimson. Crimson Experience - #58 by FranklyFlawless

2 Likes

That reddit discussion is worthwhile thanks for linking that. There use to be a small local only smtp shim servers that you could install on *nix systems that would route local email from things like cron and put it into a local mailbox and thatā€™s it. Like these

It seems thatā€™s what exim4 light is trying to accomplish.

There is a natural tension involved in selecting a distribution for Librem hardware. You want the user to have a functional no hassle experience, but by nature the people likely to buy such a product are more security conscious and probably would prefer as little non-essential software installed and running as possible.

1 Like

I have seen in the past how to configure the launcher box but I canā€™t find the post. Could someone (@FranklyFlawless) detail how to do this?

1 Like
3 Likes

Thank you, butā€¦ it isnā€™t working.
I put a .desktop in to the launcher folder but nothing shows up in the box on the lockscreen. :man_shrugging:
@FranklyFlawless Does it work for you?
@guido.gunther

1 Like

You can use this resource for enabling lock-screen plugins:

Otherwise, you can ask questions in the Matrix chatroom:

1 Like

Thanks, but have you used this feature?

1 Like

No, but I have answered all of your questions on how to accomplish this yourself.

2 Likes