On day two of holding a Librem 5 in my hands, I feel like a total noob, like I never felt for several decades now
Maybe the biggest surprise: while I can see that several applications offer significant features via context menus, I was never able to select any of the menu options.
Example: in Geary I saw an email address marked as a link ready for composing a new message, but I didn’t want to reply but rather create a new contact from it. So I press longer on the link, and a menu pops up, offering to copy the address - which sounded acceptable for my task. Problem: While I press on the link, there’s no way to select, but once I lift that finger, the menu is gone. Huh?
Next I tried to mark some text, because I saw the option to copy the selection, but I even failed to mark (e.g., in an address field of Geary).
I might add, I never was a heavy user of any mainstream smartphone, so perhaps these are things “everybody” just knows, but I’d be grateful for any link that explains the basic set of universal gestures in this environment.
PS: As this is about my first encounter with this phone, some fresh general comments:
- First screen asked me for a disk decryption passphrase, since I was not informed about this I was a bit shocked. (problem was swiftly resolved by support).
- bulkier than I expected
- the general UI looks sleek
- battery didn’t live to wake me up in the morning (fully charged, phone totally idle)
- connecting to nextCloud and then installing Gnome Calendar was swifter than I expected, all my appointments appeared immediately.
- camera support: I see it’s preview, but even if I would learn the wizardry to manually select the optimal settings, I don’t see how I could ever create a picture that I could show to anybody without big embarrassment.
- once trying to close the camera application (which “idled” at 100% cpu as per Usage view) caused an immediate reboot. System came back with minimal screen brightness, tough to enter all the passcodes etc.
- Initially, PureOS Store showed not a single application. After many attempts eventually applications appeared. Was it reading a catalog in the background? Without any feedback about this?
- At some point (after some software update and reboot) the Wifi adapter was no longer recognized. Turned out it was disabled in the Power settings, while the Wifi settings kept silent about this.
- I have a contacts file on my SD card, but the Contacts application has no way to import it?
- Yesterday I was offered to install vlc, which failed with some unavailable package. Today it’s not even offered any more. -> is there anything that can show a video?
- Having a true bash terminal gave for one spot on the phone where I was not confused