Estimate your Librem 5 shipping

Using historical data for predictions is always an extrapolation (whether it be linear, fourier series, wavelet analysis, neural network…). As they say in mutual fund prospectuses in the US: past performance is no guarantee of future results.

1 Like

True statement but pointless w.r.t. my posts above.
Or can you quote where I did a prediction?

Wrong again.

In the guide above it says clearly that CE is “quite similar to a combination of the UL and FCC certifications”. That CE marking sections links to the European Commission website where you can find there the manufacturers responsibilities regarding CE marking:

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-market/ce-marking/manufacturers_en

And I quote from there:

It is the manufacturer’s responsibility to carry out the conformity assessment, set up the technical file, issue the EU declaration of conformity, and affix the CE marking to a product. Only then can this product be traded on the EEA market.

If you are a manufacturer, you have to follow these 6 steps to affix a CE marking to your product:

1. Identify the applicable directive(s) and harmonised standards
  2. Verify product specific requirements
  3. Identify whether an independent conformity assessment (by a notified body) is necessary
  4. Test the product and check its conformity
  5. Draw up and keep available the required technical documentation
  6. Affix the CE marking and draw up the EU Declaration of Conformity (27 KB).
4 Likes

You are welcome @Caliga. I Apreciate that. I perceived your comments in other treads as objective. So I was wondering about this statement above and did not want to be quoted in a wrong way.

2 Likes

But… what you quote… I read that as “all in the hands of the manufacturer”. You’re not required to submit it to some institution and wait for their blessing. That’s what I meant. You can, if you wish. In this case, a four-digit number next to the CE sign shows that you did. (Which is rare, in my observation)

No, Nicole Faerber says in the presentation that Librem 5 is (obvious) an intentional radiator, as any other smartphone (see the guide above again).

Lol I never said it was a good way of coming up with shipping numbers. I’m simply saying if they were shipping out even 20 phones a day, we would have seen much more social media presence by now.

Thats exactly what I’m saying. In the general sense. This obviously isnt 100% of everyone who ordered then.

I have read such posts by kyle. This is an indication because it likely means larger-scale
manufacturing will start at that exact point most likely. We will then see an influx of people getting phones and posting their order dates. It should be easy to guess when your phone would be shipped.

As others have pointed out. This is NOT a grey area lol. Its very clearly outlined. And to your point about it not applying to the EU; yes it absolutely affects the EU. Lets just assume sales are split 50/50 between the EU and US for the sake of argument (I know they arent). Purism would not know how many phones they would need to bulk order if the FCC denied Purism. Purism cannot move forward to bulk production before the FCC cert or they run the risk of losing tons of money. That is not a risk any company would take.

2 Likes

@j8m2p6f Go outside, take a few deep breaths of fresh air, realize the shipping dates do not change whether or not you are constantly posting here and optionally use your time wisely. You could:

• Go out for a run
  • Make a home workout
  • Start meditating
  • Read a bock
  • Try to be grateful
5 Likes

Thanks mom

1 Like

They technically started shipping. I wouldn’t consider it mass shipping yet. They have made clarifications regarding this in the news post.

Well I’m going to finish my steak then go out and lay in the sun with a smoke and a brew and stop my constant posting here for an hour or two. Cheers

1 Like

This is from the https://puri.sm/posts/the-librem-5-mass-production-shipping-faq/ post;

Early Backers

If you qualified for one of the previous batches but chose to defer your shipment to Evergreen, you will get your phone in late November to early December .

I hate to admit that you are spot-on on the “technicality” aspect, I am still waiting for my modem selection email and we are now in late December and am waiting and waiting and waiting … for my Evergreen phone. (I was placed in the Evergreen batch)
So being “technically right” wouldn’t be enough if I have to go with the post.

3 Likes

If we are looking into “technicalities” then Evergreen is the first batch tagged with FCC/CE certification. That certification hasn’t happened yet, so technically no Evergreen has been shipped yet. (they might need to do hardware changes to get the certification - no mass production until then, obviously).

What did they shipped since November? Dogwood+ ?

4 Likes

Little by little these false statements start to get very annoying. I don’t have any clue for FCC but CE for placing it in the EU market is just a self declaration. There are just a few exceptions for dangerous products (not phones) where the product has to be tested by third authorities. As I see you are from Romania, you are from the EU, too. Do you have another information basis than me?

1 Like

Should I repeat everything I wrote above, or you’ll read it yourself? @epinez

So no, do not repeat yourself pretty please.

2 Likes

It’s not that I didn’t read your quotes. Your quotes are not wrong per se. But I can’t figure out where Purism did harm these regulations.

Why didn’t you quote the interesting part right after your enumeration of things which Purism did harm in your opinion?:

These 6 steps may differ by product as the conformity assessment procedure varies. Manufacturers must not affix CE marking to products that don’t fall under the scope of one of the directives providing for its affixing.

For products that present higher safety risks such as gas boilers, safety cannot be checked by the manufacturer alone.

1. What did I read from that? Different specification for different type of products.
  2. Products with high risk are not allowed to be only checked by the manufacturer itself >> Not harmful products can be checked by the manufacturer itself

The conformity declaration does not has to be publicitly available.

Edit: To clarifiy, I’m not sure about the delcaration itself (which could like a 1-page statement) but the underlyimg tests don’t have to be exposed. So I don’t understand your point here.

You may have also a look to the product groups specified by the EU: Electromagnetic compatibility and Radio euipment. I did only scan them shortly but couldn’t find any hint that testing via third authority is mandatory by law.

We could just fill a five-gallon jug with jelly beans and give each person who ordered a Librem 5 a guess at how many jelly beans are in the jug. At this point, I trust that method a little better than the extrapolation method.

I figure that if I am lucky, I might have my Librem 5 sometime in the first quarter of this coming year. Then again maybe sometime in 2022, or not at all. It looks like Purism is doing their best from what I can tell. Whenever my phone arrives, it’ll be a long awaited surprise.

3 Likes

It would be nice to have our Librem 5 sooner rather than later. I am worried that we’ll be making 2G phone calls and having 4G data on the Librem n 5, while everyone else b is using 6G or 7G.

2 Likes

I’ve seen this in Reddit:

I asked them a few days ago. This is the answer I got. (b.t.w. I’m happy with their answer.):
We are now shipping the Librem 5 Evergreen. but we are not shipping all units in one week. We are shipping incrementally. Every week we ship a number of units to backers and contact the backers that will receive their units the following week. At this moment we are shipping to early backers and people that ordered in 2017. Your order is from 2018. I estimate we will contact you regarding the shipping of your order in late Q1 2021.

If that’s true, being from Q2 2019 it seems that I still have, at least, another year and a half until I get contacted. I was really hoping to get it by 2021 now that it was going to be shipped for everyone. I guess my expectations were stupidly high.

4 Likes