German Keyboard for Librem 13 and 15

Just registered to say that I also need a german keyboard. I had the chance to test a Librem 13 (with us layout) and I can say that this is definitely the linux laptop of my dreams. But I really need a german layout. I’ll check your website periodically for updates on this topic.

3 Likes

I’d also like to have a german keyboard and 32 gb ram in the librem 15!
When are there revisions with 32 gig again?

greez

1 Like

+1 german keyboard AND 32GB RAM.

4 Likes

From what i can see for the photos and statement made by purism they are not licensing a clevo system. However, I did just see a review from ETAPrime on YouTube of a system from ALPHA (Centurion Nano) that looks almost identical to the Librium other that the color of the anadasation. please do not go directly to the Alpha site it is triggering a Trojan warning on my host pc. give the video a look. I am tying to track down who Alpha is using as OEM.

3 Likes

another +1 for a german keyboard (Librem 15)

4 Likes

found another older topic about asking for international keyboard layouts for librem, there is some discussion going on about it, not only focused on the 11“ as the title might suggest:

just wanted to share, as it adds a few more votes :wink:
Take care
Markus

2 Likes

me too, +1 for a German keyboard or a changeable e-ink/LED keyboard

3 Likes

another +1 for german keyboard layout

hey, please have a look at the nice intl. keyboard layout poll:

Hi,
I want to express my interest in german keyboard on lbrem13 too.

Maybe a kickstarter campaign is in order?

That way we can make a more solid commitment and you can minimize your financial risk.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
@mladen from puri.sm had created a a nice poll for the possibility to vote for your desired international keyboard layout, this is your chance to express the interest for a specific layout. The result should give purism an indication of how many instances per layout are desired. There‘s no guarantee of course, that this will result in real numbers, but, please make use of this poll. There have been so many different threads about keyboard layouts and this is finally the chance to express your interest, so why not using it.

I’ve been waiting for the German keyboard for a long time, and I don’t know what is the difficulty to provide another keyboard.
Meanwhile I found out another alternative (detachable) 12’ laptop called shift12m: https://shop.shiftphones.com/shift12m.html.
They have the German keyboard and the price is more affordable after I check their specs (like 8th gen Intel processor, Thunderbolt 3, usb type c, active pen). Yes, the security is not their focus, but they focus on the sustainability and modularity. Moreover, for people who live in Europe we don’t have to pay the customs additionally.

I don’t think there’s any problem finding ultramobile laptop with latest intel chipset running windows. CES was full of it. Why are you bringing it here?

1 Like

Why? I’m looking for alternative laptop and I’m still don’t buy Purism laptop due to its keyboard and the very high price. And I would like to share that peoduct. Yes, you can find in CES a lot of models. But, most of the products are overpriced and not sustainable. Purism products and their focus are good, don’t want to argue about that.

Hi why2,
I think if you can live with a laptop like the one you posted, you should go for it. Products which focus on free software, which contribute to the community, which take efforts in freeing hardware will always cost more than other devices. It’s the same with mobiles. Comparing the librem 5 only on hardware basis with an android device of the same price will show you that you should buy the android device and the librem 5 will appear overpriced to you. Only that on SW basis the android device is outdated already on release and only maintened thanks to projects like LinageOS, while the librem 5 will be maintened by puri.sm.

Regarding the Keyboard: participate in the poll :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agree, it also takes time for something huge like Purism’s mission, to be accomplished. We need patience. :heart:

Also considering that there are a lot of people who want the German (and French?) keyboard (from the poll’s results), and since Purism have a reseller in Germany, perhaps Purism could allow Germans to buy temporarily US keyboards, use these laptops and when a German keyboard will be available, these people would just send their laptops to the German reseller and have their keyboards changed or the whole laptops, whatever works for them. I think it should be possible to use a US keyboard laptop with German stickers, temporarily, or not? p.s. just an idea :wink:

Nicole Faerber answered this question in this forum, second post:

So MOQ stands for Minimum Order Quantity.

Now everything makes sense. If they buy a MOQ of 300 German Keyboards, and sell only 30 then this would limit them in terms of hardware revisions. Say for some reasons they decide that Librem 15v4 should be without a number pad, how do they do that? They’ll still have to sell 290 keyboards before ordering the new ones. And the supplier ofc won’t take the old ones back, because if they would, they wouldn’t have set up a MOQ in the first place.

Or say they’ll want to integrate a very important piece of hardware in the next laptops which would require an expansion in width of the laptop for 1 - 2 inches. How do they do that without having a lot of different versions of the same laptop which I believe would be hard for them to maintain and support.

So this poll is quite important because based on it they can see how far they are from the MOQ set by the supplier. I guess they aren’t looking for a 1 to 1 match but at least the demand should be pretty close to the MOQ.

German Keyboards are available for Librem 13 und 15. Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

Yes, indeed! Now, show your support and buy one! :smile:
Actually, there was a news article on it, that was announced (Friday) for Monday on Twitter.
Then, they had DNS issues. During that period, the news article on the new keyboards + TPM + international shipping was available (if you knew how to access the site without the proper DNS entries).
Now, DNS resolved, the article is gone from the news page - but still accessible if you saved the link :wink: - see above…
I guess they will republish it soon?

4 Likes

Order a German keyboard and replace most of the keycaps. But the return key can not be replaced, this is my solution.