Ghosted after refund request, what now?

Solved in what way? Did you finally get your refund?

So you did not get a refund? What happened, and what do you mean? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Poquito… no con facilidad.

1 Like

No, actually i got an email back, after my refund request, indicating that purism no longer gives refunds for the librem 5. They linked to Can I get a refund on my Librem 5 campaign order – Purism as further justification for this.
TLDR: the money is spent on developing the software that’s now available to all, refunds hurt the projects goal, and those would need to be paid for through purism other activities. They offer either a store credit with a 20% “courtesy” increase, or your phone.

I opted to receive the Librem 5 instead. That was of course what i had been interested in all along.

Now when the things were finally in stock, purism was rather quick with the replies, and as mentioned, indicating your interest in the phone itself rather than a refund, quickly settled things. I got a question about possible accessories to ship with the phone, which i declined, and only four days later, here we are. The device arrived at my doorstep yesterday!

Lots of things to do and learn now, so i guess I’ll be spending a lot of time on it these upcoming weeks :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Enjoy your new Librem 5, and remember to update it first.

2 Likes

Thanks, that was the first thing i did ^^ Looking forward to seeing what it can do.

3 Likes

I got a delivery mail on the 7th of November 2022, and the next day asked for a refund. I got this reply, where they confirm the refund.

From NN@puri.sm) on 2022-11-09 00:46

Hello,

I have created a ticket for your order to be canceled and refunded.

Please keep in mind that the refund processes are slower at this moment.

Kind regards,
NN

After a couple of mail exchanges (basically I sent one mail each month asking what is happening), I am ghosted.

It is getting frustrating…

Staffan
SWEDEN

1 Like

hmm sorry to hear that @StaffanMelin, sounds like that’s the exact same thing that happened to me. The customer experience so far has been less than desirable, eventually my patience ran out, so I opted to withdraw my refund request, and asked to have the phone shipped instead.
If you don’t want to receive it, looks like there’s no other option than to wait for the refund, or take the store credit instead.

1 Like

You can receive it and then try to sell it. Given the gap between the early backer price and the current price, it may even be possible to make a profit. :wink:

4 Likes

Wouldn’t it be faster and safer to just sell the customer account with the order?

2 Likes

That’s an option too.

Is Purism still supporting that, given that parity has been reached? (There’s no harm in asking Purism if that’s what the poster is considering doing.)

1 Like

Thank you to all that have replied!

I am so disappointed by Purism’s refusal to answer my attempts at communication. I need my money, as my economic situation has deteriorated since ordering the L5. I thought that this was what a refund was about. Things can change. And I do understand that things can change for Purism too. But at least tell me so.

2 Likes

Hello!

I’m new to the forums but like flman86 I have been trying to receive a refund for my 2019 preorder (order # 4184840173) request since April 2023. I’ve been in contact with João Azevedo from the beginning and he has consistently told me that refunds are not being issued at this time. @JCS is there a way you can help me like you have helped @flman86? I have all the email correspondence since starting the refund process if that helps.

Thanks

3 Likes

Preorder of what hardware?

1 Like

@irvinewade : I ordered the Librem 5 phone on 2019 January 30

2 Likes

This is not truly a case of “I never received a refund for my 2019 pre-order” since you did receive the device but, yes; you do have an outstanding refund. I see from the support ticket that you:

• ordered the L5 in 2019-01
  • received the L5 2023-03-27
  • returned the L5 approx 2023-04-23 citing performance concerns vs device cost
  • are entitled to a full refund minus a 10% restocking fee as per Purism’s RMA policy (device received in good condition with no noticeable defects)

As I informed flman86 above, I can work with support and finance to ensure you receive a refund, but do not have the resources at my disposal at this time to guarantee a disbursement date. I understand that this answer is not very reassuring, but do know that we see you, truly understand your frustration, and are working to settle refund resolutions as quickly as we can.

2 Likes

Yes, you are correct; I did receive the phone and returned it after concluding it wasn’t the value proposition I was expecting.

Also, thank you so much for this response. I had been sending emails asking for updates but was not getting any responses, so just having someone acknowledge me feels good.

I understand you cannot guarantee a disbursement date but consider this progress in the right direction. What would you recommend my course of action be now? I’ll obviously check in on this thread periodically, but beyond that, what are your suggestions?

1 Like

Try to sell the device on the open market?

2 Likes

Sure, it takes about 10 months to sell with the Asia modem, based on this recently closed thread:

Just remember to follow the marketplace best practices:

Best for @zenodrake to mention whether it’s the North America, Europe or Asia modem. The first two are probably going to shift more quickly (based on anecdotal observation of this forum, not that this forum is the only way of selling a Librem 5).

2 Likes

My answer is likely not satisfactory and is never the one I want to give, but I’d recommend you give it some time. I cannot go into detail as it involves company financials, but there are several core infrastructure debts which are nearly paid off, which will alleviate a significant amount of weekly overhead costs, allowing Purism more financial bandwidth to provide timely refund requests and order fulfillment.

I know it’s neither your fault nor your responsibility to be so patient regarding your refund, but this is the state of affairs. We’re implementing numerous policies and improvements to ensure that this difficult situation does not repeat in the future.

8 Likes