How can you install Signal on the Librem 5

How can you install the app Signal (Snowden’s recommendation for private texting, call, and video calling) on the Librem 5?

Thank you

1 Like

You can’t install the standalone app because there are only 2 versions, one for Android and one for iOS.
There is an independant app in development but I don’t know if it will be usable on the L5.

You can read this topic for more details:
https://forums.puri.sm/t/signal-silence-on-gnu-linux-a-comprehensive-summary-librem-5-app/5002/74

Personnally, I’m testing Matrix protocole, as Signal appears to be to closed in its development to be a good alternative in the long term.

6 Likes

there are only 2 versions, one for Android and one for iOS

This isn’t true, there is a Debian desktop Electron(?) version, the question at this point should probably be will that run on the Librem 5 and allow hooking into the version I have on my Pixel which will be going in the back of my deprecated drawer forever once Evergreen ships

1 Like

It’s not a standalone app. It’s useless.

2 Likes

Not yet. There are rumours it will be usable as standalone in the future.

1 Like

Even still, it would need two things:

• Electron support for wayland
  • To be adaptive
2 Likes

Doesn’t the librem 5 support Xwayland?

It is being worked on

2 Likes
1 Like

Hi, what are the latest news about installing Signal /Signal-Desktop on a Librem5?

Regards

2 Likes

I cannot speak for others, but I am hoping and waiting for Signal Foundation to support a standalone desktop/Linux app. I think Moxie and other Signal people use and like Linux, so I would guess it is only a matter of time before Signal supports a standalone Linux app.

Edit: I would guess that the comments above still apply about running Electron on Librem 5? Does anyone know if it is possible yet to compile the Signal desktop app for the processor of the Librem 5?

1 Like