L5 arrived - Issues / questions

If you’re willing to reflash, then sure :smiley: Updating may be possible to, but will likely require some strong apt experience - and a full backup done beforehand :wink:

1 Like

Am I right in thinking that updating won’t introduce root partition encryption? (It is just my assumption that those getting phones now with byzantium pre-installed, are also getting encryption of the root partition by default.)

Understood. I would do that as a matter of course, even when not contemplating a major software upgrade.

Yup. Technically you could introduce it manually to an existing system (by dumping the partition, creating LUKS volume, restoring the partition back from backup and adjusting all required config files manually), but that’s of course quite involved.

So realistically @amarok and I are at some point going to have to do a full backup, flash byzantium from scratch, then reestablish all existing configuration and reinstall all existing apps?

1 Like

Yes, that’s the recommended way to switch at the moment. You can do it right now - byzantium is already the default for new installations. Flashing encrypted images isn’t as straightforward as it could be yet, but I’ve seen that there are tutorials that make it pretty easy to follow anyway.

@spaetz
MY Order Number is : Purism_3754983491 .
That was back in October 2017.

My L5 usually discharges more than 10% per hour, which means I have to charge it several times a day. Usually I have all radios on except bluetooth. This morning I went for a 30-40 min walk with the battery att 92%. After I came back, the phone showed 68% battery. So compared to mine, yours is doing good.

Another caveat of frequent charging is that my phone becomes very unresponsive sometimes when I take it off the charger. It manifests in that the screen takes up to 30 seconds or more to turn on and that it isn’t possible to unlock the phone or do anything else until whatever it is going on in the background calms down. Quite frustrating.

1 Like

There shouls be a "usage’ application on the main screen. It could provide some insights about what your phone is doing when it’s discharging quickly.

1 Like

Never seen anything like that myself - would be interesting if you could check what’s happening in the background there (with Usage, htop or something similar - possibly over ssh).

A good thing to check is tracker status - some people see it taking lots of CPU while indexing (recently someone reported it choking on large ePub collection, for instance).

1 Like

All data collectors are inactive, indexing is ready. I have no music, no epub etc. to index yet.

In the past hour or so, off the charger at 93%, now 82%. More in line with the 10% per hour I guess.

I did another battery test today. Draining from 95% charge to 18% charge took 7 hours 45 minutes, so realistically about 8+ hours of “on” time.

This was with mobile disabled in the settings, wifi on, and the phone dormant on the table, with just an occasional peek at the battery level.

2 Likes

With SD card inside?

µSD card, yes.

1 Like

… and smartcard? :slight_smile:

1 Like

No. I don’t have one of those.

1 Like

If your Wireless Access Point gives you the choice of the 2.4 GHz band and the 5 GHz band and if the 2.4 GHz band is viable for you then you should be able to make a minor improvement in time between charges by selecting the 2.4 GHz band.

However realistically, until Purism implements some kind of sleep mode on the SoC, 10% per hour is about what you are going to get.

1 Like

Purism recently added power manager to SD card slot, so if you do not have a SD card inside the SD card controller it power off so save battery. Linux 5.15 it close to Librem 5 it come with more power save.
Very nice work of Purism.

2 Likes

Actually, I was on 2.4GHz. (Although I realize you were responding to someone else. Or perhaps to both of us.)

2 Likes

Today I did a similar test, this time on the mobile network, with wifi off. Over 7 hours, the battery drained from 93% to 20%, so again, about 10% per hour (10.4% in this case).

The phone was sitting in two different places indoors throughout the day, with a strong signal in one room, and a weaker signal in the other. I was checking the battery level about once per hour, slightly more frequently than during my wifi test, and also opening the settings screen and browser a couple of times to confirm the data connection. I typically keep the brightness level at about 75% to save power when the screen is on.

Network: A T-mobile MVNO set to 4G; unknown distance from towers, unknown strength/quality of network connection.

µSD inserted, no smart card.

Bluetooth off, as in yesterday’s test.

2 Likes