Let's crowdfund some development to get PureOS Crimson ready for L5!

Having seen so many different designs for android launchers, nearly all of which are gpl2/3, I’m not sure what wouldn’t remind you of any of these.

An alphabetical list of applications doesn’t remind me of android :person_shrugging: it’s just the alphabet to me.

5 Likes

Purism has launched a new initiative for recurring donations (note: they don’t use the word “donations” in their post): https://puri.sm/posts/pureos-optional-subscription-added-to-advance-development/.

There are three tiers:

If you’re wondering why one might pay for something and get “nothing” in return, think of it like subscribing to someone’s Patreon, Ko-Fi, Liberapay, etc, which allows them to keep working on the thing(s) you enjoy.

11 Likes

Where is this list of applications?

1 Like

OPINION:
I wondered how long it would be before we’d see this.
Next on the plan; is Basic version monthly subscription fee, Business monthly subscription and Enterprise Edition for much more $.

Everything that is free on the Internet is free until you pay for it. Means to me that soon, we’ll buy the phone and pay monthly fees for updates, upgrades, and to help support better phones for new buyers.

Paying to subscribe to a better, available sooner and a less buggy Crimson, in just not kosher. It means support has to have shifted from Evergreen/Byzantium to support the rush to get Crimson out and about.

Is this the writing on the wall?
~s

1 Like

With respect, this is an optional subscription and does not impact other users from receiving said updates. It’s just a more sustainable way to vote with your wallet, in my mind. They aren’t perfect but given everything that Purism has done, that doesn’t seem like a fair criticism to suggest the implication you are suggesting…

7 Likes

It’s a opinion. Just in case anyone else wants to take it out of context, I added “opinion” to the start of the opinion post.

Too, just because I just bought my first and last phone doesn’t mean I haven’t been had on the Internet before. I must, by sheer examples of context destruction state too that I din’t suggest I was/am ‘;had’ by Puri. On the flip side actually in that I want to see Puri to succeed.

Buying the L5 is also "optional’ as is watching any movie - optional.
What doesn’t seem to be a option by some, is the option to disagree.
So I won’t tell you I disagree with your take on “does not impact other users from receiving said updates”. OPINION: I think it does, will and will one day, cost money for updates - by subscription.

~s

2 Likes

Purism states the following in their post:

PureOS will continue to be freely available for all, there is no product difference for subscribers or non-subscribers.

If you don’t wish to contribute, you don’t have to. Other people will hopefully contribute and provide the means for Purism to have sustainable development, because even though PureOS is provided at gratis, it is likely not cheap to develop.

You are welcome to be cautious about this approach, though I see it as a slippery-slope argument. Thankfully, there is no vendor lock-in with Purism’s hardware so if they do something objectionable, you can move to other software, such as Mobian, which seems like it will continue to have steady development, though probably not with the Librem 5 in mind.

If I had an income, I would elect to subscribe so that Purism can pay developers for their skills and time.

3 Likes

Oh, but I do want to contribute. But not with the history bee-bopping around the 'net referencing the L5.

As I tried to convey, and as a frequent buyer of software and technicians, I am very cautious of ‘free’. If the OS and updates is free, then where might I get the name of the person who is funding it or volunteered. I’d like to thank them and add them to my Christmas card list. :crazy_face:

I would rather donate subscribe :face_with_diagonal_mouth: by the year and send $119.99 (they can eat the 0.01) but for me, that’s (at 9.99 /mo.) $119.88 but with currency exchange about it’s about $163.92. I have to consider that too.
This plus history, plus experience plus the forums… :thinking:

I want Puri to succeed and seeing positive change at the source might encourage me. But the L5 I have has to do better than 2048.

Right now, my phone isn’t worth funding something I can’t use. I “probably” maybe will reconsider when it gets back from repairs.

~s

1 Like

(assuming that it’s not just faulty) I guess this is a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem.

Predicting the future is usually difficult, and I’m not going to offer a prediction.

I don’t know whether your opinion was intended to apply specifically to PureOS, specifically to PureOS on the Librem 5, or more generally. For sure there are plenty of challenges that you can see in the present.

Looking at the smaller picture though … there is a problem now - and this (optional subscription) is one solution now - and it’s basically what some forum participants asked for.

3 Likes

The app drawer in phosh.

Or if you mean in android, many of the launchers are the apps in alphabetical order including the microsof launcher which mimics the way windows phone showed the list of apps in alphabeticalorder.

Not all of the OEM android variants do this, some are ordered by install date, others in other ways so any specific android device may or may not look this way by default.

1 Like

Having owned an L5 for a couple of years now, I would gladly donate to further its software development.
I understand that Purism needs to sell new hardware but I am unwilling to keep purchasing new phones, laptops, etc. to have updated software. I was under the impression that the L5 could make it possible to keep using the same phone for many years if so desired, unlike any of the Google/Samsung etc. offerings.

8 Likes

Then you might want to read the blog post linked here: PureOS Optional Subscription Added to Advance Development

3 Likes

@irvinewade:
After reading the blog, I have decided to donate via subscription. Hopefully some of these funds can be used to further Crimson development.

9 Likes

I do not like to transfer Money Monthly from Europe to US, cause of the cost of transfer, and the changed amount every time to a daily exchange rate from euro to us dollar. So is there a way to spend monthly Money to PrueOS Crimson Development? I would love Gnu-Taler or the (did not know before NGI Taler), to do so.

If not i will try to transfer monthly Money to some few European developer - or spend some cash on the yearly fosdem in Bonn or Brüssel. - Thinking of it - i think this way is the best way for me.

3 Likes

Yes i,m interested Gnu-Taler too.

3 Likes

I understand that this is not directly what you are asking for but … you could discuss with Purism a one-off donation via the PureOS store (already exists) that is equal to 12 x the proposed monthly amount but where you explicitly direct the funds as if it had been a PureOS subscription … and then repeat that process once each year.

The advantage to you is fewer transactions and you know precisely what exchange rate will apply.

4 Likes

I prefer to buy other products/services (eg: L5 lapdock and/or Librem One) to Purism if they organise special discount days like Amazon Prime days or Black Friday! Do you know if Purism do that?

1 Like

Yes, infrequent sales occur each year, which some only announced by newsletter. A coupon code is distributed which can be applied during your order for a discount.

1 Like

I subscribed to the Expert tier. How much money does Purism actually get every month if I pay using American Express? Credit card company takes 3-4% or something? Anything else? Also converions from euros to US dollars. Depending on this calculation, might indeed be better to pay a lump sum every year.

3 Likes

Refer to your Cardholder Agreement that you read during your application process for details.

1 Like