Librem 5 Fir Batch

… which raises a good question: Is the proposed IR sensor even viable? i.e. is it blob-free?

Technically speaking, the Librem 5 already has IR hardware - but it is well beyond my knowledge as to what the overlap and gaps would be between the existing IR hardware and the proposed sensor.

1 Like

GNU: Purism: Please make the Librem 5 Fir a Delicious Desing, and 5.0 Inch only.
Please add an infrared sensor in the front of Librem 5 next to 3.5mm jack

• Librem 5 best ever.

Wishes to Librem 5 Fir…

Add 2 next-gen Sony premium mobile speaker( one left, one right), make the Librem 5 the best to enjoy Audiophiles Videophiles.

1 Like

I think the IR sensor is more of a novelty thing. For the times you would use it couldn’t you use a USB sensor and just plug it into the L5? Like I said before, the biggest issue is refining what we already have. Power management is top priority I think because it’s a bit too reliant on being close to a power source to feel like you can spend the whole day on a charge. And other refinements like the gps/camera/bluetooth, that all needs to work better, mind you a lot of that is software development and not hardware.

The other thing is the user upgrade/service angle which I think isn’t what I thought it would be. It seems like that was touted as a feature but a dangerous one that potentially voids your warranty and that wasn’t emphasized enough in my mind. For modules with antennas a different solution other than the u.fl connector on the board needs to be developed. Even if they had a u.fl adaptor of some sort that was higher cycle count for connection/disconnection as new cards become available. People will want to upgrade these themselves but not if they are going to destroy a connector on a costly card or the mainboard itself.

1 Like

Wishes to Librem 5 Fir:

• add a gnu logo in pcb
  • add an optional clear-body & case
1 Like

Wishes to Librem 5 Fir:

Wishes to Librem 5 Fir:

• add a 90hz refresh rate monitor
  • reduce monitor size from 5.7 to 5.5 or 5.0.

Please please please remove in GeNUine FIR batch the RIDICULOUS mono speaker, add 2 LR next-gen stereous speaker. Purism you got it and put all the Manpower in Fir phone.

Add a Low Phosphorescent Tiger color(#fc6a20) to Power button.

Edit: Add same color to Phosh Power button UI

…Making Librem 5 FF Fir Fancy. :wink:

Swap the places of the SIM card and smartcard so that frying the SIM card by removing the tray is impossible.

4 Likes

It should be able to support swapping with other modems and wifi/bluetooth cards more easily. Maybe come with a fast world modem out of the box. Also maybe improved modular design for repairability (maybe not as extreme as Fairphone but moving in that direction).

1 Like

Fir: Please Please, Please Remove the Ridiculous sides Metals and only leave the Top and Bottom Metals. why? this will dramatically reduces the feeling of Heat when Holding it. Also add Fancy Metal to drain heat on up down…

Hi Carlos,
Do you mind if I ask what you mean by “Fancy Metal?”

1 Like

In the sense of the best metal to drain heat no matter the price.

1 Like

Silver has the highest thermal conductivity. Copper is pretty close to silver, and is more commonly used in heatsinks. However, silver is very soft, and copper tarnishes easily when exposed to air, so they require frequent maintenance.

2 Likes

How about gold plating? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gold is also very soft and it is the most malleable metal, so it needs to be an alloy, otherwise gold plating will chip away very quickly with minimal effort.

3 Likes

Oh, I assumed he meant the liquid metal used in the Terminator franchise. No? :wink:

They may be being used as antennae i.e. not possible without additional redesign.

4 Likes

Why not? :joy:

That could definitely help with dings and dents! Plus, you know, you could turn it into a sharp knife or sump’in.

Librem-T1000 for the win!

2 Likes