Librem 5 media (photos and videos)

yes, please avoid this

1 Like

I really hope a Linux software keyboard (or software keyboard layout) that is more like the Hacker’s Keyboard full 5-row kayout comes out soon, because I find it essential for typing and using the shell on my phone. Even just for normal text input, I use the ctrl and arrow keys all the time. Even for writing this message I am using the arrow keys to pan around, and I think this keyboard is part if the reason I can type so quickly on my phone.

Oh… is there another thread this can move to?

You can open another one there and paste or link to the last couple replies if you want to pick up where you left off. I’ll throw a fit on your behalf if they hammer that one too.

5 Likes

Mine got here on the 14Th, I like how they moved the camrea and light sensor. Hopefully you all get yours soon.

23 Likes

Looks awesome! Let us know how you like it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Anymore pictures?

And do calls and texts work 100% fine?

2 Likes

I’ve not been able to test calling or texting personally yet. My last phone before it broken in February (a huawei mate 9), and so I do not have a working simcard on hand. I likely won’t personally test calling until next fall as all my classes are currently online, as such I have no reason to even leave the house for the next few monthes until I can get back into a classroom.

That being said they have shown the calling working before. So I have no doubt it works, as for more pics I can take some, but expect them to be just as bad. I had to take that one with an old webcam as I have nothing better, just getting it to show the camrea and sensor took using a flashlight.

1 Like

So far I can say I like the size and feel of it better then I ever liked my mate 9. It’s about 5 mm smaller on the length and width. I also enjoy the thickness, it feels more natural to hold for sure.

I’ve not noticed the thermal issue the early batches had at all personally. While it does get warm when charging so did all my past phones, so I don’t see that as an issue.

20 Likes

Have you noticed any of the spontaneous shutdown that they were talking about ?

2 Likes

Yes, in the first two days of me having the phone it was an issue that was very noticeable. Past the 16th I’ve not noticed it since, so I’d assume the mitigation is working.

9 Likes

Besides the part at the beginning where he calls it the Alpine branch, this is a pretty good and favorable review.

9 Likes

Nice, about 6 hours screen on time sounds really good. My Pixel 2 gets around 6-7 hours. Combined with later idle refinements the Librem 5 surely can bring us to one day of usage! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

i’d be happy with 8hrs for a start …

I am using a Samsung Note 5 that is getting quite old. The screen on time, I would guess, is maybe about 4 hours currently.
But, the thing that really drives me nuts with it is the jumps in battery levels. I can be on a phone call starting at, say, 50% battery, then look down in a minute and see it below 20%.

No doubt this is due to the age of the battery, but I’ll be happy if the L5 can last slightly longer (looks like it for sure will) and doesn’t have these crazy jumps in battery level.

And - unlike this dumb Samsung - I can replace the battery when it gets old! What a novel concept.

3 Likes

Actually it is a good old concept. Just what is happening to people’s memories? Non-replaceable batteries are only a few years old…

3 Likes

Right, that is what I mean, it hasn’t been an option in so long it’s practically a new idea. I remember replacing the battery on my first smart phone, then the powers-that-be took that option away from me.

they did NOT take it away from you … they simply refused to INVEST in a WORKING industry standard thus ensuring the outcome that we’ve all been experiencing ever since …

4 Likes