Librem 5 media (photos and videos)

From here: https://adamd.sdf.org/computers/mini/2023/01/02/L5CameraControlsUpdate.html.

7 Likes

“I wanted to look back at what changed in phosh in 2022 and figured I could share it with you.” -Guido Gunther
https://honk.sigxcpu.org/con/Phosh_2022_in_retrospect.html

4 Likes

Purism to Participate in CES 2023:

4 Likes

How it comes that Purism works together with an IoT/Big Data company to participate in CES 2023? Sounds like most possible opposite goals you could have matched together. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

To me it looks more likely that they are able to make tablet for Purism (just another speculation of mine). Anyway, as at least one of their devices run out-of-the-box on Linux Debian, I like this get together.

1 Like

Sounds like a fair question. One could certainly speculate, as @Quarnero does, that they are working on or have worked on something with Purism.

IoT is not in and of itself bad at all. An IoT device that runs privacy-respecting software is fine.

Even Big Data can be non-evil in some very limited circumstances.

2 Likes

Even IoT that is privacy-respecting is a security issue if it is not needed to be designt as IoT. But it is even more interesting, that Purism got advertised as “with security and privacy in mind”, while there is no word about Teksun this way.

However, I don’t want to blame anyone for that. It will have some reason we don’t know and that’s fine. I was just curious about it.

1 Like

That’s true - but with your blackbox IoT devices, you have no idea about any of the risk that you might be importing into your network. Privacy could be poor. Security could be poor. At least with open source you have the possibility of assessing your privacy risk and assessing your security risk.

I have exactly zero knowledge of Teksun’s product range. They may have a mix of good products and bad products - as assessed from a privacy and security point of view. Or all bad. Or all good. Who knows?

One thing that I have noticed generally (i.e. other companies selling devices to connect to the network) is that time-to-market and functionality often trump security. Security is not a priority.

1 Like

Hello, everyone !

I have published a field report with the Librem 5 after about 2 years!

It is written in German, you can use Chrome’s translation function :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks, thats a good state of the union post :slight_smile:

Webapps: I did not tried it yet, but it looks like an interesting approach/improvement.

The camera version with autofocus is quite an improvement. Yet it introduces some crashes and lock-ups, so it will take some weeks until it will arrive for all users…

GNSS does work in some way, you need to enable “Ortungsdienste” via Settings -> Privacy. GNOME Maps shows then my location. Did you tried PureMaps from Flatpak yet? It should support navigation.

Signal is still a mess. I’m using a combination of Flare, Axolotl, Signal Desktop and a second iOS device. Telegram is much better, even with that not really responsive app…

1 Like
2 Likes
9 Likes

I appreciate that the author seemed to know what (s)he was talking about. Too bad convergence was left out, though.

That’s true, but he (it’s a man) was few weeks not up to date - at least what he wrote to camera. There are first versions with capturing movies and auto focus. But in general he was right.

These are not in the default repositories yet.

1 Like

But it is something I would definitely tell if I know about it. He also spoke about other stuff he know it is working in progress and I just think he didn’t know about the current progress.

1 Like

Never heard of the Amberol music player before. It’s at least worth a try :slight_smile:

1 Like
3 Likes

Rob Braxman Tech reviews his Librem 5: https://yewtu.be/watch?v=9KNApTiUPvc

2 Likes

It’s frustrating that he on one hand recognizes that GNU/Linux phones are the way to go in principle, but then he says GNU/Linux phones are not good enough yet and something like “nobody seems to invest in that”, ignoring the fact that Purism does in fact invest in that. Then Braxman goes on to promote Google Pixel phones, I have a hard time understanding how he can do that with a straight face. He wants to help people get away from Google, and at the same time he recommends buying Google devices?!?

Perhaps it’s about different perspectives and different goals: Braxman is simply trying to get a bit of privacy somehow in the current situation, he is not actually trying to change the world. He just accepts that Google owns the world, so he uses Google devices because that’s how the world works. Purism on the other hand is actually doing something to try to change the situation. I wish Braxman would at least respect those who are working towards making the world a better place, even if he does not intend to help out.

7 Likes