Librem 5 media (photos and videos)

1. most cameras already process raw data on-chip, so host doesn’t have to process anything
  2. even when taking raw pictures, AFAIUI Raspberry Pi is able to use hardware ISP to speed some operations up a lot
  3. the camera app currently just executes unmodified dcraw tool to produce an image out of raw data, which is single-threaded and not exactly optimized for speed. It could be sped up a lot, but since we’ll be pursuing a completely different userspace stack that doesn’t use dcraw to process image data but relies on libcamera instead (so it can be maintainable and reusable across apps), it’s not something we plan to do
6 Likes

So why does yours not?

So you’re planning to ultimately use other tools to encode the images that are hopefully faster, is that it?

I should have added a qualifier: most webcams and (somewhat counterintuitively) low-end sensors. For phone cameras, it’s pretty common for them to work the way our sensors do.

You could say it that way, yes. i.MX 8M Quad provides image statistics that could be utilized for some operations, huge chunk of processing could be accelerated with GPU or even SIMD etc. Some parts of such ideal pipeline don’t exist yet in the FLOSS world or rely on hardware components that our SoC does not provide (like the pipeline that’s used on the Raspberry Pi does), so this won’t happen overnight, but we’ll get there.

I recommend a recent FOSDEM panel - “Status of camera support on mobile FOSS devices” - for more details: https://fosdem.org/2022/schedule/event/mobile_camera/

2 Likes

OK…a bit disappointing, but understood.

3 Likes
6 Likes

What’s the stand/hub you’re using for the phone?

I am using the Digitus DA-70882 which seems to be the same as the Baseus B07T1M2KKV:

The L5 does not fit perfectly however, the L5 is a bit too thick. It seems that the Baseus B07T1M2KKV comes with a few spacers:

4 Likes
6 Likes

Swipe gestures support in phosh coming along:

11 Likes

July 12, 2022 interview with Guido Gunther

6 Likes

Also here: FSFE article: Librem 5

3 Likes

Post can’t be empty

3 Likes

Post can’t be empty

2 Likes
4 Likes

Comparison of a Librem 5 with a Fairphone 4 (green) and an Iphone 6 (white).
The Librem 5 is the thickest and heaviest one, but is slightly shorter that the FP4. Really feels like holding a computer in your hands :wink:

6 Likes

It really is a computer :smiley:

4 Likes

What I meant is that it weights almost as a laptop :D. But it is true that it’s a fully-fledged computer: the thing I like the most is the terminal, which is also the app that offers the best experience and works most reliably among the ones I’ve tried so far.

For me, the Librem 5 together with a laptop dock can replace my regular laptop for most of my needs. That is truly awesome!

4 Likes
11 Likes