Librem 5 USA - Read Before Ordering

@aipei IF this post comes back public would you promise to do a full update on external forums?

1. The post was moved to private by someone outside Purism.
  2. The post was then moved to public by Purism.
  3. The October estimate was never confirmed?

In the name of Transparency…

@werner, I think you should edit number 2 in your list. Also, regardless of any updates on reddit posts, this page is a full update on the situation, and if reddit posts link to this page, then redditors can see that Purism did not censor this post.

Do I think that the reddit posts should be updated to indicate that Purism did not censor the post? Yes. But it only hurts Purism to keep this post private, whether the reddit posts are updated or not.

1 Like

Oops. Thanks, updated.

Yes the external forum user will see this discussion as well. My point is that the external forum users should know if @aipei is equally motivated to

1. complain about alleged censorship
  2. commend Purism’s transparency in case they agree to make this public again

I assume that @irvinewade changed this thread’s category because he though it likely that the information in the original post was not correct. That was my concern as well.

However, at this point it has been clarified that @aipei was receiving info about the Librem 5 from Purism and not about the Librem 5 USA. On the other hand, @aipei is also pointing out that the Librem 5 USA is not getting delivered in 6 to 8 weeks after ordering, which is information that the public should know and is pertinent to the “Librem 5” category. I am also persuaded by the arguments of @werner and @dom0 that making this thread private makes it look like Purism is trying to hide info from the public (which it isn’t). The fact of the matter is that there are about half a dozen of the regular users on this forum who have the power to recategorize threads and change their titles, but we don’t have any more moderation powers than that.

@irvinewade, Do you have a problem if I change this thread back to the “Librem 5” category?

3 Likes

Maybe better if Purism do this? And give @aipei a chance to confirm if want to share this on external forums as well.

Not sure whether Purism will be swift. Why can’t the person who moved it in the first place move it back?

Allowing regular users who don’t represent Purism moderate this forum is going to lead to a lot of confusion. Whoever from Purism allowed such a thing should reconsider.

I disagree. This is a great feature, which is only allowed to most trusted users. I moved many topics myself helping Purism to moderate the posts. This post has been moved rightly, since it had unconfirmed (and probably incorrect) information. Now it has a fair update, although I wish this update was at the top, not at the bottom, so new readers would not be confused. Also, bold font with incorrect information should probably be changed to a normal font… I move it back.

All this controversy illustrates the danger of posting leading or accusatory comments on reddit, or any platform, in the absence of solid information. People everywhere, including us here, naturally take it and run with it, which ultimately only does a disservice to everyone.

Librem 5 USA, Manufactured in USA would imply even processor is manufactured in USA. Maybe I am wrong but if that is the case then how does the chip shortage (that are manufactured elsewhere) impact the Librem 5 USA manufacturing?

The CPU is fabbed in East Asia. NXP doesn’t have a US Fab that can write 28 nm features.

As the L5-USA did not reach shipping parity in July, hopefully Purism makes a new comment or blog post for us, providing some sort of explanation, and maybe even a new estimate (Not to be believed at this point, obviously, but it would still be nice! :slight_smile: )

I look forward to the L5 more and more every day that I use my brutally locked-down phone. Nevertheless, I will try to exercise some patience. Recently, a barbecue grill salesman told me a particular model would not ship in the next three months. If an established company cannot make a grill that they’ve been making for years, imagine the difficulty to produce a groundbreaking phone :man_shrugging:

No one should ignore Purism’s poor communication practices, but also failures in accurate shipping estimation for the past +1.5 years should be taken with a big grain of salt.

6 Likes

It would appear that someone has done that already - and I’m not getting into an edit war (move war), so all good.

I consider that most of the reasons that this topic is ‘fail’ have not changed.

I think that if Purism allows an external link to a public topic to restrict recategorisation of that topic then they may regret ceding that control to (in this case) reddit. (Nice move from the OP though. :slightly_smiling_face:) Sometimes you have to do what is right and wear the perceptions. Perception, like taking offence, is on the person offering his or her perception. Anyway, haters gonna hate - and reddit is full of them.

I think that there is an ongoing problem that when moderation decisions are disputed, those decisions end up being disputed in situ - so that this topic is a dogs breakfast of original content, amended content, withdrawn content, moderation debate and off-topic content. SNAFU.

Because he was asleep in bed. :smile:

This is already being discussed in Site Feedback. You could contribute there rather than further derailing this topic.

1 Like

Update, 05/08/2021 I am still yet to receive clarification as to what has occured.

So you actually did ask Purism via email to give you a clarification of what happened! May I ask you what the content of your email was?

1 Like

I’m unsure where the presumption that I didn’t have any prior correspondence arose.
My prior direct correspondence is how I received the latest update, which other Librem 5 USA owners did not.

I followed up the email to Mladen stating that I believe he may have gotten mixed up in the information he was providing me, and requested an accurate shipping date of my Librem 5 USA device.

I have also sent Joao a private message requesting an ETA of the delivery of my device after he sent a message advising that the information I received was incorrect.

1 Like

So you asked Purism something like “May I ask you the reasons behind the delay?” and they didn’t answer yet, am I correct? Because this is what you are complaining about in this thread.

Somehow it still appears to me that you asked Purism only about dates and then came here to complain that you have not been given reasons. Please correct me if my impression is wrong.

1 Like

This is the conversation that has transpired regarding shipping estimates, between Purism and myself.

The first email I sent was on 03/06/2021 asking

“Just wanted to get an ETA on my order if possible. Will it be dispatched this month?”

Mladen replied on 04/06/2021 advising

“ We started shipping Librem 5 USA model just yesterday, so we still do not have shipping schedule. But it is planned to ship all pre-orders within 2-3 months from now. Thanks for your patience!”

I responded 06/06/2021 saying

“Thank you!
Could you confirm that my order (Order #Purism_xxx) is going ahead as intended? Just wanted to make sure there were no issues with it so when my shipping date does come up, there are no delays?”

Mladen replied 06/06/2021

“When your pre-order comes in line, we will contact you (a week earlier) to confirm shipping details, so you don’t have to worry about anything at this point.”

I emailed on 31/07/2021 saying

“Just looking for an update on the order number in the subject line.”

Mladen replied 01/08/2021 advising

“Librem 5 USA model manufacturing has started, and slowly progressing. As we optimize the manufacture progress, shipping pace will be increased as well, we hope we will be able to fulfill all pre-orders (most likely this will including yours as well) within 2 months time. It has been a tough ride, with a lot of challenges, but thanks to our backers we are slowly getting to our goal.”

I responded 04/08/2021

“Following this I have been led to believe that this information may be incorrect.
Could you please confirm when I’ll be receiving my phone?”

Mladen responded 05/08/2021

“Could you please clarify your question? I cannot provide exact ETA I’m afraid, like I said, we expect to have all pre-orders (including yours) shipped within 2 months.”

@joao.azevedo @mladen

What is happening?

Sorry, for clarity, the date format is DAY/MONTH/YEAR.

1 Like

Further, I’ve just caught onto more.

Mladen responded on 04/06/2021 advising that they would ship the phone out within 2-3 months (8 to 12 weeks).
On the 05/06/2021(the next day), the Librem 5 USA order page was altered to display a 6 to 8 week delivery time, approximately. Did the expected delivery date half in the span of 24 hours?

1 Like

Okay, so I was right. The synthesis is the following:

• You ordered your phone at the end of April and in that moment you were told that you would receive it “in a few months”
  • You asked for an update in June and they answered that they started shipping all the Librem 5 USA orders only the day earlier and all orders will be shipped within three months
  • You asked for an update in July and they answered that all the Librem 5 USA orders will be shipped within two months

I am fine with you asking Purism for updates, but why do you come here asking for reasons (“If the phone is in stock, why am I still waiting?”) – and I believe “asking” would not be the right verb given your tone in this thread.

You could have reached a much better result with a lot less stress simply by writing to Purism “Dear Purism, I am a Librem 5 USA customer and I would like to ask you information about the recent shipping delays. What is happening? I know it has been a tough year for everyone, but I really hope that things are not looking too bad for Purism.”

No, he’s just pointing out an inconsistency. If the phone is in stock, as they claim, then there isn’t any reason for a 3 month delay. So either there is no 3 month delay, or the phones are not in stock.

Well, knowing Purism, it’s probably a third option: they have a few laying around on a shelf, but nowhere near enough to actually start shipping. You know, like back when they claimed with big fanfare to have “started shipping”, and later had to clarify “and by shipping we mean that a few of our engineers already got one, but nobody else will for months”.

4 Likes