Librem 5 USA shipping

It has been a couple of weeks without hearing much about additional L5-USA arrivals. Is shipping of the L5-USA still on halt? @TacticalPandaLE, have you heard anything more about your order?

Nothing yet. The only thing Iā€™ve received from Purism was the Investment opportunity email everyone else got. Did you notice that Purism never did send out a monthly update this month?

1 Like

I just got an email today, saying that my Librem 5 USA was shipped today on July 20.

Unfortunately, I live in Bolivia, so I donā€™t dare send the phone through customs, where it can take months if you donā€™t know how to navigate the system and things tend to get stolen. A friend of mine who was traveling from the US to Bolivia promised to bring me the phone, but she changed her travel plans, so it looks like I wonā€™t be able to get the phone till October.

In the meantime, it will be plugged into an outlet at my parentā€™s home in the US, so I can ssh in (and hopefully see if I can get remote desktop working). Iā€™ll try to convince my father to do an unboxing video for us and Iā€™m pretty sure that heā€™ll be happy to take some photos of the device, since it gives him an excuse to play with his expensive camera.

16 Likes

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your order date so we can get an idea where the rest of us stand?

I ordered the Librem 5 on January 5, 2019, and then my order was upgraded to the Librem 5 USA on June 9, 2021.

However, I donā€™t think that my order date is representative. I wrote Purism an email at the beginning of this month and explained that a friend was traveling from the US to Bolivia on July 26 and asked whether the phone would be shipped by then. Purism said that the phone probably wouldnā€™t be ready to ship by then, and then my friend changed her travel plans. It was a real surprise when I got the email today saying that the phone had been shipped. I suspect that Purism decided to include my order in the first batch to ship, since I have been adding content to the community wiki.

Unfortunately, it turns out that I wonā€™t end up getting the phone until October, but hopefully I can still answer some of peopleā€™s questions since Iā€™ll have ssh access. I also have a PinePhone plugged in at my parentā€™s house with ssh access, so I will be able to benchmark the two phones.

7 Likes

I hope you can because I tried, without success, to get VNC to work. If you get it working, I will definitely be looking for a tutorial write-up from you :wink:, and at least one other user would likewise be. Librem5 vnc remote access

That would be nice of them but does Purism work in such subtle ways?

2 Likes

I hope you donā€™t intend to leave it plugged in until October! It might get warm. Ish.

It really shouldnā€™t, unless keeping the screen on and RAM at maximum frequency all the time (or, dunno, held under a warm blanket :P). I keep one of my phones powered on 24/7 connected to a dock while mostly idle and the CPU is at 36Ā°C at the moment.

3 Likes

Interesting. Plugged in, mine gets and stays warm until I unplug it.

But is it charging? Charging generates heat, especially at high current, but once the battery is full it should start to cool down.

Good point.

Hooray! The Librem 5 USA arrived on July 27. Shipping took 7 days to my parentsā€™ house in the US, via FedEx ground. My father took photos and made a short video of the unboxing, that Iā€™ll post after I black out the identifying info. Iā€™m so excited by the prospect of a phone-cum-PC that supports ssh. I canā€™t wait to play with it remotely.

19 Likes

Congrats! I wonder how far behind Purism still is on orders. At least you have given us hope that the ball is now rolling.

1 Like

I second that opinion. @amosbatto do share your findings, R & D, new ventures/adventures here.

OK, here are photos and my thoughts about the Librem 5 USA:

13 Likes

Holy shit. Your dad does great product demos. Your heart just bleeds listening to him.

You need to figure out how to get your dad to do product demos. You know that 7 year old doing toy reviews making millions? Get your dad to do something similar with products that interest him.

He could be making majour bucks.

Advertisers will flock to him because there is NO ONE targeting his demo and his demo has money.

1 Like

As an aside, I loved the CHONK of the phone. All the kids Iā€™ve seem comment on it comment on its morbid chonkyness. I gotta tell ya, that looks like it will feel like a real phone.

All of this slim nonsense is for fools that have no clue about what a tool needs to feel like.

I also love how the back comes off and everything is easy to unscrew and take apart. That is awesome.

Your blog post is as excellent as all of your posts here. Really great detail and a great way to put perspective on the marketplace and where the L5 fits.

Maybe he already is ā€¦ :wink:

This could be better worded:

The left side of the phone also contains the dual SIM card and microSD card tray.

Sounds like the phone is dual SIM.

2 Likes

These the points you are looking for?