List of Apps that fit and function well [Post them here.]

I think this qualifies as a reason it shouldn’t work.

It works, that’s a fact. That it is not very common that people package it for ARM is because of app developers and has nothing to do with the format itself.

Fine. “AppImages work on the L5. A given AppImage probably won’t work on the L5.”

I don’t think that’s better.

It is a lot better, because that means that the infrastructure already works and it’s a smaller threshold for developers to make an ARM build if users request it.

Agreed, but not as a means of explanation. The statement I came up with earlier, while true, contradicts itself. That’s what I don’t think is better.

However, I’ve unintentionally derailed the hell out of this train of thought, so I’ll sum up with your original point that I went barreling past before: “AppImages work, but most AppImages these days are not compiled to run on ARM CPUs.”

1 Like

These are sandboxed flatpaks.

Pidgin (Mostly fits, but 1 or 2 screens need scaling down):

Gajim (Doesn’t fit so well w/o scaling down; may be usable anyway):

I didn’t test functionality of messaging for either of these.
Reminder: Chatty can also integrate an XMPP account.

3 Likes

Bleachbit (no scaling down at all):

Scrollable, but can’t view the right-side frame:

Possible to see everything in landscape, and fully scrollable:

Preferences screen also good:

Even in portrait:

Occasional glitch (tap to dismiss it):

PureOS store has 2 versions: Bleachbit and Bleachbit (as Root). I chose the non-root version, but root version also installed as a separate app. The root version failed to launch…maybe because the default L5 account is non-root.

3 Likes

Odd: apt search “.*bleachbit.*” finds only a single entry:

$ sudo apt search '.*bleachbit.*'
    Sorting... Done
    Full Text Search... Done
    bleachbit/amber 2.0-3 all
      delete unnecessary files from the system

… so I wonder where the store is finding “BleachBit (as root)”. Anyway, after “sudo apt install bleachbit”, I too see both regular & root versions in the App Drawer, and like you I found the root version never launched. Digging a bit:

$ grep '^Exec=' /usr/share/applications/bleachbit*
/usr/share/applications/bleachbit-root.desktop:Exec=pkexec bleachbit
/usr/share/applications/bleachbit.desktop:Exec=bleachbit

When I open a terminal & run “bleachbit”, it works fine, but with “pkexec bleachbit”, a GUI password prompt (for user “purism”) is presented, and my login credential is accepted, but it nevertheless errors out with “Could not open X display”. Setting environment variables WAYLAND_DISPLAY=wayland-0 and DISPLAY=:0 does not change anything. I get the same error with “sudo bleachbit”, but that’s no surprise: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1274451#c33 says “there are currently no plans to support running graphical apps with sudo under Wayland, and it seems quite unlikely that this will change anytime soon”.

2 Likes

Stacer work?

This doesn’t appear to be available through apt.

1 Like

Reminduck (flatpak):

If you just need a non-complex reminder app with daily, weekly, monthly, and repeating options, this will work. It just needs to be scaled down a little.

Unfortunately, despite promising to quack like a duck, it doesn’t actually walk the talk. There was no auditory notification. (Very disappointed… hhhhhhhhh:no_mouth:)

It did trigger the blinking blue LED, though, and as you can see, the printed notification was there. That may be enough for most situations.

(I did verify this app was set for sound & vibration in the L5 Notifications settings, and that the system sounds were up, but it didn’t help.)

5 Likes

You know, I’m all about that quack, about that quack - no ring-tone…” [with apologies to ms.Trainor]
Is this silent alarm only duck related or can you get audio alarms from other sources, apps? Alarm clock?

1 Like

Here’s a non-GUI application that functions well: ProtonMail Bridge.

I got ProtonMail Bridge running on the Pinephone and was able to sync with Geary and Evolution. If someone who already has their phone could confirm it works for the L5, that would be appreciated. Bridge seems to be fully functional. It’s not officially supported for arm64 and you won’t find it packaged in any repositories, but cloning the source and building with GOARCH=arm64 make build-nogui works without any problems once you have the build toolchain. The resulting binary can be run with protonmail-bridge & to run as a background process or protonmail-bridge -c for CLI configuration.

1 Like

Works fine for me with Thunderbird on PinePhone too

The clock alarm works fine:

I looked through this thread and didn’t see it but Feeds (RSS app) looks like it will work pretty well on the L5.
https://gfeeds.gabmus.org/

I presented the flatpak version up this thread a ways.

2 Likes

GNOME Maps (flatpak):

Nice feature (also adjusts to chosen orientation):

Doesn’t fit so well here, but…

Scale down to 1.5 to get complete view:

Pinch-to-zoom works, if not very smoothly. Predictive place name functions quickly. Pleasantly surprised this app works so well.

6 Likes

Nice ! Can it show your actual position using the GPS ?

Not yet, but things are looking up:

1 Like