[MyL5] Australia/New Zealand

The next image shows the “orientation modes”. I’ve never seen anything except “Landscape” work however.

Yes. And “Video Out”, “Out Video”, “Ext. Display” or similar would be much clear for me of what that option is for. I don’t have to translate it in my head everytime.

1 Like

@dos checkout these screenshots above

The Aus/New Zealand plug is also the one that is used in china, so really no excuses for not having it as an option!

For moving windows to another monitor in Gnome try Shift+Super+(Left Right Up or Down arrow).

For your SSH security I recommend you check out “ngrok”

1 Like

when you remove all notifications for the dropdown menu

1 Like

No dice for me at this stage.

Pairs correctly.

I choose Settings / Sound / Output … Bluetooth - with “A2DP Sink”.

The “Test” button half-worked once. Half-worked means that it showed a Mono speaker to click on to test but no sound came out of the speakers on the host computer.

Thereafter the “Test” button didn’t work at all. No speaker to click on.

I know that this functionality works on the host computer because it works with my existing phone.

Display settings in the GUI are mostly unimplemented yet - but it’s coming (see https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/phosh/-/merge_requests/704)

2 Likes

I can confirm that this works the way you describe. It was a case of “bad user on device”, or to be a little kinder … I needed to make a slight alteration to the way I operate.

I don’t think that’s going to fly … no Super virtual key?

Today I tested … external charging.

The charger that I bought is: https://www.amazon.com.au/Onite-Universal-Battery-Charger-High-Voltage/dp/B005REEWYY

It has universal AC voltage, independently adjustable positive and negative pin position, auto-sensing polarity, and adjustable battery width. So, mostly idiot-proof.

It seemed to work with the battery for the Librem 5, although charging is quite slow.

Like the phone charger itself, it has pins for a US AC socket. A good thing I bought a 2-pack of US-to-Australian AC plug adapters. :wink:

5 Likes

Today I tested … Bluetooth keyboard.

Yay! Worked out of the box.

You can even minimise the on-screen keyboard when using the external keyboard and thereby claw back some screen real estate in the application.

For bonus marks, the keyboard I was testing with has a small mouse-equivalent - and, with the keyboard paired, a pointer appeared on the Librem 5 screen and that works too for operating the GUI. To be honest, using the touch screen is nicer, the mouse is clunkier. I was really only testing the keyboard.

5 Likes

Which brand of keyboard was it?

A standards-compliant one? :wink: It shouldn’t matter, right?

It was a really old Bluetooth 2.0 keyboard that I had lying around.

Logitech.

It is an interesting compromise between

a) sshing in from a regular computer with a full-size normal keyboard, and
b) using the on-screen keyboard.

Tab for ‘completion’ is certainly a lot faster and easier than using the on-screen keyboard. So if you are doing a lot of work in a shell, it is nicer.

One thing I should mention: The Librem 5 gave questionable information about the battery level of the Bluetooth keyboard, reporting it as ‘almost flat’ when I just charged it up fully before doing any testing. However before testing this keyboard with the phone, I tested it with a regular computer and the regular computer gave the same message. So either the keyboard’s battery condition is shot (possible since the keyboard has been sitting around doing nothing for some years) or this is a Linux problem in common.

1 Like

Today I tested … disk read speed on the two disks.

Speeds were surprisingly slow, 28 MB/sec on the eMMC drive and 7 MB/sec on the uSD card. :frowning:

Does make me wonder how well it would go recording video, once the camera is working. For me though I am not that interested in video, much more still images. So I can live with it.

1 Like

Today I tested … java

I tested one command line application and one GUI application.

The command line application was a little slow to start but ran normally.

The GUI application was basically unusable. It works normally on desktop Linux (and on Microsoft Windows). On the Librem 5 the main window doesn’t come up - just remains blank. So no GUI controls are usable. However, where keyboard shortcuts exist, the application responds to those, but still doesn’t work.

1 Like

Today I tested … time between charges.

With Bluetooth, WiFi and the modem on - but the screen mostly off - and sshd in - with a couple of apps running - all doing “not much” … 8 hours 55 minutes before it shut down in a controlled fashion. This should be a fair indication of “standby” time (providing that Bluetooth, WiFi and modem all on is representative of how you use the phone).

The “low battery” notification came at 10%. The “critically low battery” notification came at 2% - and within a few minutes of that it shut down.

6 Likes

i wouldn’t make a habit of letting the battery reach such a low depletion state … but perhaps the firmware accounts for that and leaves some spare room … at least that’s how i remember it being by reading some OLD posts here on the Purism forum …

1 Like

Normally I wouldn’t. Due to habit with my existing phone I expect I would put it on charge at 20%.

It is however difficult to avoid the occasional shut down due to low power unless you can watch the phone like a hawk.

perhaps the issue would be partially mitigated by having an audio alarm system ON that says “help ! i’m dying !”

2 Likes

Oooh… that’t a good point: what kind of warnings are there and can user set them? How - GUI or edit a file? Something different than normal messages? Other actions possible/recommended when certain limit reached?

Blue light comes on because of the notification. However that is not distinguishable from any other notification (new SMS, new email) without pressing the wake/sleep button to activate the screen, at which point it will be obvious that power is low.

For the time being, I am happier for development resources to be expended on increasing the time-between-charges rather than on fancier notifications.

However since it is open source, go your hardest. At the very least, I think it would be easy enough to run a cron job every 10 minutes and if battery is at or below 10% then it will play @reC’s message or something less melodramatic, since you might be in a business meeting. LOL. Also, I don’t want to get emergency services involved. :slight_smile: I might try this later …