Yesterday I received my phone. It’s thick.
I’ve been using android phones for a decade or more now. When I broke my last one, I switched to the pinephone (postmarketOS edition) running mobian; this has been my daily driver for a few months now. My main fear when unboxing the L5 was that might not be significantly better than the PP. Luckily I was wrong. Those are my first impressions (in random order):
- It’s thick, and /seems/ to be heavy, when compared to the PP; in reality the weight is not that much (197g vs 261 on my scale).
- There was no ‘shipping screen protector’ attached. Is this expected? I read there should be and I should remove it.
- It’s way faster than the PP. Boot time is approximately the same (cannot compare because of number of autostart programs I have). Scrolling is smoooth too
- Battery life seems better, too. The PP never lasted a night with screen off (in offline mode), while I kept the L5 with all the switches off and it was still alive in the morning.
- On the PP, I’ve been experiencing lot of random freezes, and a few phosh crashes. On the L5, I’ve already had some random ‘poweroff’ (splash screen and then the phone is off) and a couple of 'the phone is working (as I can press the volume button and hear the sound) but the screen is black and it won’t turn on. edit: I spoke too early, got a random freeze on L5 too
- It’s not fair to compare build quality, given the difference in price: PP is quite solid, I like the smooth back cover; however, when I received it I got almost no phone signal. I realized the antenna was unplugged and had to open it and re plug the antenna. L5 quality is wonderful. Better audio speaker (louder and cleaner), nice/strange warm flash, nice status LED (bigger than the one on the PP), the touch screen is more responsive… they are different beasts (with different prices: I had to pay ~180EUR for the PP and ~662EUR for the L5, so the difference in quality was expected)
- I’m having problems with bluetooth. It works well on the PP (except that is not supported for audio calls, but at least I can listen to the music), while on the L5 I cannot even connect to the headphones (nor to other speakers)
- Phone signal reception is also better on the L5. Could not test GPS yet
- It does not see my external micro sd card (nothing in dmesg nor in df) while on the PP it was working… strange
Overall I’m satisfied, I’ll see if I can fix the bluetooth problem and I’ll try out the GPS soon