[MyL5] Received my Librem 5 (Evergreen)

Great, is there a realistic time frame/goal in mind for implementation?

2 Likes

To be honest, the best I can say is, after other issues, that at the moment are more pressing, like say getting the camera drivers to work, or support inline images in chatty (which would allow the MMS image to be displayed in chatty instead of just a link to download it).

But if anyone with the skill set wants to jump in and contribute to solve that, this is the ticket: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/ModemManager/-/issues/227

You would be helping not just the Librem 5 phone, but all phone projects that use Modem Manager to deal with the cellular modem.

11 Likes

Maybe when the time comes, I can convince my girl to get a Librem 5 Fir :wink:

2 Likes

Email not an acceptable alternative?

To be honest, I drive people nuts by being inconsistent, sometimes sending images via MMS and sometimes sending images via email. My not having MMS as an option would probably make some of my recipients happier. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For me it is receiving MMS that is important. Not necessarily sending them. You can’t control what other people send you, even if you suggest using email. (I know from experience…) :wink:

6 Likes

There are some scripts that might work to download the MMS message, but they would need to be tested.
But proper support in modem manager would be the best option

9 Likes

Info: The Librem 5 boots from off to security code login in about 28 seconds.

7 Likes

Especially on Tuesdays. :wink:
I usually just tell people that SMS/MMS is an archaic hack that needs to die already. And, if they want to send me something there’s a dozen other more secure and private ways to do so. :neutral_face: (Ways that also happen to be easier…)

4 Likes

This is too long, should be much faster:

3 Likes

Timed it again and got 19 seconds this time. ::man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Well, that was an earlier software version. Maybe some unoptimized bloat has been added? :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

It’s now slightly slower than on that video as the kernel grew fatter, more services got introduced etc.

There is a kernel bug that sometimes causes MMC timeout on boot. It automatically recovers, but takes several seconds to do so and the boot doesn’t progress until that happens. So yeah, sometimes it takes longer.

10 Likes

Still seems faster than my “other” phones. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Haha! The lag for the L5 occurs mainly in the shipping date mentioned at the end.
:rofl:

2 Likes

Wonderful! Great progress by the team. I can assume I will have a refund shortly then?

Kidding aside: it is fast allright!

time to hit the gym :wink:

4 Likes

Hey amarok hows it going?

Any other updates or news on the cellular calls being muffled as we discussed before, any improvement at all with cellular calls?

Thanks again

LinuxNew

In keeping with the subject of this thread: any word on newly received L5’s?

1 Like

I think we can use the two forum posts by @speedy-10 and I to help give people a mental time-frame for when to expect their L5s while waiting for shipping parity.