[MyL5] Received my Librem 5 (Evergreen)

Yes.

1 Like

But only more is preinstalled :slight_smile:

on the desktop PureOS less comes preinstalled :stuck_out_tongue:

so less is more :wink:

I never knew how much typing “less” is ingrained in my muscle memory. I am very close to installing it on my L5 :).

Where can I by merchandise with this sentence?

If you are only worried about typing then use alias ?

THat what I do with vim on barebone dockers. less is more or less sortable but vim is a beatch.

I am looking for some solutions on these issues:

Is it possible for L5 to get network access though USB-C connected to a L13 that has ethernet connection(with extra ethernet adapter)?

If not, is it possible to connect L5 from its USB-C to standard USB eth adapters and have network working through this instead of wifi?

Has anyone succeeded in changing the black background to a personal image? Is it possible somehow to change the blue abstract background one sees when waiting for an app to launch?

1 Like

it’d be nice if you could take a simple usb-C (3.0 or more speed) 10/100/1000 external NIC with just one RJ-45 port on the other end and simply plug an ethernet cable coming from the router/switch/gateway/AP/etc./what-have-you, directly in and have internet connectivity like on a desktop …

I think that should work. It does for a pinephone with the USB C dock that comes with the convergence model (which has other ports). There are numerous USB C ethernet adapters in the wild.

3 Likes

Yes. The phone shows up as a ethernet device, so you can configure connection sharing with NetworkManager in the regular way.

Yep, works for me.

3 Likes

yes, but we need Purism to have one in the shop so people can buy it with their L5 purchase and have them shipped together …

each NIC carries a unique MAC address so that would potentially help with fingerprinting … one could easily set-up multiple NIC-personas with multiple NIC external adapters this way … for convergence mode we ofc need MORE (such as a complete docking-station with usb-hub).

i would prefer it if the docking-station/hub did NOT incorporate an internal NIC … that way you could do what i described in the second paragraph.

2 Likes

If the docking station has a USB C data port (not plug) you can plug in your alternate adapter there. Even if not, one or more of your alternate adapters can be USB 3 type A. There is no downside to the dock having an ethernet port.

perhaps, but if i’m going to cycle between multiple NIC-external adapters (some usb-A, others usb-C) then having an internal one seems redundant and more costly to produce …

Yes! The image file that phosh uses is at /usr/share/librem5/default-theme/adwaita-phone.jpg and if you replace that with your own jpg file it will use that, rescaled to fill the screen:

sudo cp myimage.jpg /usr/share/librem5/default-theme/adwaita-phone.jpg

Mine looks like this now (using image from https://www.fsf.org/resources/badges converted to jpg): :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Thanks for the answers. OK, I will buy a USB-C to ethernet because at my work ethernet is available but no wifi. Or maybe a dock is a better choice for this. The baseus dock discussed in another thread looks good. I am just no sure if I see the same model here:

(it says “to Huawei & Samsung”)

and if L5 fits in there because is is not as slim (although I really like it is not slim, since it has a great grip).

Thanks for the help with changing the background. I will try.

2 Likes

I have Wifi connection issues. It connects OK. Internet works and then half a minute later the connection gets dropped. Then it tries to reconnect. It reconnects and some seconds later it disconnects again, and so on. Sometimes the connection looks stable for longer intervals and this is how I managed to upgrade the system. Moreover in a small room, 10 sq meters, with wifi device inside the room (a mini travel router in AP mode connected to internet through Ethernet and providing wifi access to wireless devices) and L5 2-3 meters away it may show 2 bars. Is this normal? I tried iw command. It showed 20dBm txpower. Tried to raise it to 30, it failed. Is 20 the maximum?

terminal output shows
ch9 2452 MHz
w 40 MHz
center1 2461 MHz
txpower 20.00 dBm

It is annoying to disconnect frequently. Should I open it and check the cables somewhere?

Something else. When I connect to L13 through USB-C nothing happens on L13. Shouldn’t I be able to access it somehow? I tried to do that because wifi was unstable and I wanted to transfer a file. What do I miss?

Finally does wifi performance relate to the battery level? Is there something interfering with power saving issues?

Which command did you run to get that info?

About Wi-Fi disconnecting, others have reported that it helped to change “bandwidth” setting on the router to 20 Mhz, see for example here:

Maybe the “w 40 MHz” in your terminal output indicates you have bandwidth 40 MHz, if it is possible for you to change that from 40 to 20 MHz then that might be worth trying.

1 Like

Ah, good point. I will try to see if I can do that with the mini travel AP router.

About the command I used it was either
sudo iw wlan info
or
ifconfig (the battery is depleted now and I charge it, so I will retry later. I think it was iw aftfer the iw package was installed).

It sounds strange that a wider bandwidth is worse than a narrower. I would expect the exact opposite.

So if you go out to a cafe (after we get done with covid :grinning:) there will be trouble. because of course the coffee shop will not mess with such settings. My router says “Auto” for bandidth. So if L5 prefers 20 MHz it should say to the router that prefers 20 and not 40.