[MyL5] Received my Librem 5 (Evergreen)

Please move questions/comments on locked root passwords here

6 Likes

15 Likes

CORRECTION:
There is in fact a protector on the screen after peeling off the outer protector. Donā€™t know how I missed thatā€¦

8 Likes

ordered mine September 28, 2017 and no email yet but i donā€™t mind waiting, it will give me something to look forward to as UK lockdown bleeds into xmas :rofl:

2 Likes

16 Likes

I am not sure. Thatā€™s why I askedā€¦

Since Iā€™m new to linux devices that can make cellular calls does anyone know if there is a terminal command to make calls such as " Sudo APT call 5557656587 ?

Iā€™m going to nerd the F out if thats a thing when I get my L5 xD

5 Likes

xdg-open tel://1234 works for me :wink:

18 Likes

ohhhhhh boy xD I cant wait to make a call from inside a terminal . Life 2.0 !!

6 Likes

You could technically write a script to spam call a scammer

1 Like

But, they would have your cell number thenā€¦

I wonder if cellular VPN will become a thing ?

2 Likes

To help answer some of the ā€œwhat does it look/feel likeā€ questions, we published a walkthrough video that shows what the default mass-produced Librem 5 base config is like today as a snapshot in time:

12 Likes

Iā€™m a bit curious about the phone back cover, how durable do you think it is?
Iā€™m thinking I would detach it quite oftenā€¦ would that deteriorate itā€¦?
Perhaps Purism should sells this back cover in the shop?

3 Likes

Iā€™m certain there will be possibilites if that turned out to be a problem. :slightly_smiling_face:

What is a ā€œwayback machineā€ and what does the 85% means for our position in the queue?

It is a web site that shows you what other web sites looked like at earlier points in time.

In this case the ā€œother web siteā€ is Purismā€™s web site, and the relevant page is the page on the web site for the Librem 5 crowdfunding campaign (from 3 years ago).

1 Like

#BATCHFIR https://media4.giphy.com/media/vO8F4fYQd39h6/giphy.gif

1 Like

as a general idea, for people that use a mouse to do computing, 78 grams is almost as heavy as a light-weight-gaming mouse :wink:

3 Likes

Why lock the root account? I imagine that sudo works? Even if sudo works, sometimes itā€™s just much easier to login as root. Can you tell us how to unlock the root account on the L5? My internal alarms go off when I hear that the root account is locked. Android and Apple do that. I canā€™t see a good reason to lock root.