New Librem 14 will not power on

I was wondering if anyone else had this issue. I just bought a new laptop and moved the 930G SSD that made up half the price of the Librem14 to the new laptop. Didn’t bother getting it repaired. No regrets. I’m glad I took the chance. I knew the risks, and I like what Purism is doing. I want to see them succeed. Hopefully, they will fix the issues in a future version.

I had a sound file, but there is no option to upload it here. Which is why I scratched my previous reply.

@Thermos - I’m curious, while the laptop was powered off over the weekend, did you have the adapter plugged in/charging (which is how I had mine when not in use)?

I think it was plugged in overnight on Friday, but then unplugged from Friday morning until Monday.

Yeah, I’m happy support is responsive and working with me and willing to trust me to perform troubleshooting. I’d be happy to try that linked process of flashing, less keen on having to source/pay for the special tools, but it’s not like support has asked me to do this.

Yeah, I just posed the question back at Support to ask their Engineering if the EC Flash has been fixing the laptops being returned with this issue. Being in Canada, shipping/customs is both a pain and an extra cost… so I would be open to trying that route if they’ve had success with it… and spend the $30 on the toolset.

I would need to also know that it is possible to install PureOS on a Linux VM, in order to plug the CH341A chip programmer USB into for downloading/installing the software… since I don’t have a second Librem/Linux laptop.

1 Like

Oh, I’m in Canada, too. Those import fees are rough, though I’ve wondered if it doesn’t apply if it is being sent back for servicing. I had installed PureOS within vbox on a Mac before getting my Librem Mini to try it out so I doubt you’d have any issues there.

generally speaking, you don’t want to flash from a VM. Just live boot PureOS or any Debian/ubuntu variant on another machine. There is Windows flashing software for the ch341a floating around as well, though I can’t speak to how well it works or how easy it is to use

1 Like

Thank you @MrChromebox - I definitely don’t want to waste time on dead ends!

1 Like

Hi i got my new L14 yesterday, then i quickly upgraded the ec to 1.5*.
I noticed that the L4 turns ON (sometimes) by pressing the power button 2 times quickly.

Wow this Librem 14 it amazing.
I already started troubleshooting the WPAN to work libre inside.

Just to offer up some kind of closure for my experience, I sent my laptop back to Purism with the hard drive removed. They prepared and shipped back a replacement that has been working since I received it three days ago. I’m happy with how this process went as the shipment was paid for by Purism and was quick.

1 Like

Good to hear, same experience for me. My new laptop just arrived with no cost for shipping both ways.

This problem just popped up for me today. I have reached out to support. Looking forward to getting this fixed as fast as possible.

1 Like

Purism paying for shipping must be a new policy. I had to pay to ship mine back due to the keyboard not working after just a few days of having it.

1 Like

I’m happy to report that after a month+ after receiving my replacement L14 I’ve experienced no issues with power.

It seems like they’ve resolved whatever was causing this. If you’re in the batch of people who got the kamikaze machines rest assured that Purism is responding accordingly and replacing them without delay.

This is curious. What kind of problem did you have with the keyboard?

@Amstram see my earlier post in this thread.

So I attempted the EC chip flash with the CH341A spi chip programmer, following the instructions from Purism, using my Librem 15 with PureOS loaded. Apparently, my EC chip had the identical image already on the chip, so that means that I was already on EC ROM version 1.5 or what not. After the reflash, the laptop still would not power on. I will be sending my laptop back via RMA

The problem has returned for me :frowning:

It had been plugged in for a while when I got up this morning and noticed the battery was almost depleted despite the charger being connected. I tried rebooting, disconnecting/reconnecting the charger and the battery with no success. I’ve been in touch with support.

1 Like

Yikes, oh no… that’s really bad news!!! Very sorry to hear for you and ultimately us all. Doesn’t look like we’re out of the woods yet. I’ve been avoiding leaving my new laptop plugged in, which I got about the same time as you.

1 Like