New Librem 14 will not power on

As far i know turning off the laptop without charging it resetting the e.c chipset too.

Not need an external programer to upgrade the e.c version.

The battery still plugged in was pulling some power… disconnecting the battery helped complete the reset. Got things to work on my computer.

I have EC 1.7 on my L14 then i not reseted like unpluging the battery to PCB but it work like @nicole.faerber it say how the 1.7 will work, like if charging and laptop is on a moderate use it the porcentage of charging does not going up, even may going down.
I not sure if unpluging the battery to p.c.b his behavior is different

Did you adjust the charging thresholds?

I know I don’t need the chip programmer, but I have one just in case. It came in handy on one of my failed laptops during troubleshooting.

I do not know how to do that.

OK.
It is a good idea to have an external programmer just in case.

Just an update, it’s now been 8 days since this laptop broke for the second time with the exact same issue, and Purism is saying they will not give me a refund – only a warranty repair. I’m really not interested in a third round at a warranty repair, I paid for this laptop 8 weeks ago and it’s been functional for only 3 of those weeks – it’s spent all the rest of the time either dead or in transit back and forth for warranty repair. Just a heads up to anybody considering sinking close to $2k into a laptop with a known defect, if you’re unlucky enough to get a defective machine you’re apparently stuck with it :upside_down_face:

1 Like

You might as well try and let them fix it again, seeing as you’ve got nothing to lose at this point.

It sounds like a good situation for a credit card chargeback to me (if possible).

Just wanted to update everyone that so far, it seems like a third time has been a charm. No power issues in the almost 2 months I’ve had my replacement.

Same problem on my L14 after 1 month of usage. I’m having really bad feeling right now, more than 2000 USD (with taxes). Saddly I’m thinking to make a bad review for the spanish speaking community about the “securest laptop”. Also, wondering whether we should get together for a lawsuit at this point.

It is normal that some electronics fail, this does not mean that Purism is doing something wrong, I have seen large electronics companies with defective devices, this is normal even if these devices have pass high testing standards, instead of speaking bad of a company that is trying to do bold electronics to have freedoms for us call to customer service that it is more smart and fair.

@carlosgonz all of us have bought this laptop for the same reason, so that speech is redundant.

I just not understands peoples here, because L14 is a security-privacy reprogrammable gnu+linux unclevo ethical Laptop so if something fail ok go troubleshooting…go reprogramming the firmwares on chipsets, we all know that gnu+linux it is a faulty system with many bugs everywhere. If you do not want faulties then go for the Apple Jail but don’t blame Purism much.

Used linux with gnu many years now. Never realized it had many bugs …

2 Likes

Got my third replacement Librem 14 on June 10, nearly 5 full weeks after reporting that the 2nd one had died with the exact same defect as the first. I was writing to customer service several times a week to check on the status of the case and it still took nearly 5 weeks to get a replacement, during which time I had no laptop. The third one died yesterday. They refused my refund request after the second failure. I’m requesting a refund again, we’ll see what they say but I’m not very hopeful. I spent nearly $2k on this laptop and they have sent me 3 defective machines in a row. Would absolutely NOT recommend buying one of these unless you’ve got money to burn.

4 Likes

Don’t take this the wrong way, but its sort of incredible that you’ve had three of the same failures in a row. There’s always some length of time between receipt and failure. I wonder if you have a bad power strip or something?

1 Like

I’ve tried with multiple outlets and chargers. This last one actually died while I was out of town visiting friends so not even plugged into an outlet at my house. I wish it was a charger or power strip issue because then I could fix it! But since when I send it in for ‘repair’ they never give me any further information about what / why / how it failed, I don’t really have a way to do any troubleshooting.

1 Like

After some back and forth with support I sent the dead L14 to be fixed (on Purism expenses) and got to make it work on Monday. So far so good.

1 Like

Just adding here that I have a new librem 14 and it just died after 2.5 weeks in exactly the same way. After reading about people having this problem multiple times in a row, I’m returning it since it’s still within 30 days. I love what Purism is trying to do. Unfortunately I can’t afford to have a laptop potentially die over and over the same way. :frowning: Hoping this gets better in the future.

1 Like