News for Dogwood?

With respect to Dogwood, our goal to start shipping hasn’t changed (Q1) but we also haven’t yet gotten firm information from suppliers on what specific delays we might see due to the Coronavirus. We know that the crisis has already delayed when people would return to work from Chinese New Year, and we are in regular communication with our supply chain but due to the unique nature of this crisis timed alongside Chinese New Year everyone is currently trying to calculate the impact as people return to work.

Since we haven’t gotten any firm timelines yet, I don’t want to speculate much about delays. Like always, we will continue to work and push to hit our deadlines. When we know something for sure, we’ll be sure to let everyone know via an official update.

22 Likes

Thank you for the update, Kyle.
Also, please be safe with your decisions.
Best regards.

4 Likes

I value the health and humane treatment of fellow human beings more than any phone; Please take the time to take care :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I do not know, they did not explain, I guess it depends also on if using the new CPU for Fir will need long debugging, so you could choose the old and optimized CPU or the new and not yet optimized one (do you remember the bugs concerning the move from an i.MX 6 to i.MX 8M platform?).

3 Likes

This x1000 an injury to one is an injury to all.

1 Like

Additional information on shipping in regards of 2019-nCov

6 Likes

Just to update this, we finally got specific information about the delay and published an official update: https://puri.sm/posts/coronavirus-delays/

18 Likes

Thanks Kyle, the news is very important. And thanks also for the information and articles you publish on hardware and software advancement (in particular on energy saving) as I would like to use the phone every day.
Sincerely

3 Likes

My brother who lives in Taiwan sent me this email about his experiences with the Coronavirus:

Meanwhile, we are nervously watching the coronavirus epidemic unfold.
I went to the emergency room on the first day the hospitals reopened
after the lunar new year holiday, during which news of the outbreak
hit the media. Everyone was pretty freaked out. It isn’t actually a
bad time to go to the hospital since right now most people want to
avoid hospitals as much as possible. Taiwan hasn’t actually had many
cases (we are currently at 18 cases), which is something of a miracle
considering how much travel there was between Taiwan and China. The
government has taken quick and forceful steps to control the disease,
and it seems to be working pretty well. Right now, I’m more worried
about Japan (which has recently found a few very unexpected cases)
than Taiwan. If Japan loses control, that would be very, very bad.

In China, they have completely lost control of the disease. The
international media still doesn’t seem to grasp the extent or
implications of the outbreak. The virus is spreading in every major
city. The regime now has a choice of shutting down the economy for at
least three months or letting the disease spread uncontrolled. They
have so far chosen the former path, and this is undoubtedly the
correct choice. However, this only slows down the disease; it doesn’t
solve the problem. We are nowhere near the peak; this virus is too
widespread and stealthy/virile to be stopped by anything short of warm
weather and/or vaccines, both of which are several months away.
Incredibly, the government seems to want to try to open some
factories, which would put China on the total infection path. It seems
inevitable now that most or all of China will eventually come under
martial law, the regime will have to shoot some protesters, and there
will be (potentially regime-threatening) fiscal crises. Oh and there
will also be a humanitarian disaster, with a final death toll
somewhere between the hundreds of thousands and tens of millions. In
fact, it’s unfolding even faster than I expected; Xi Jinping just sent
some loyal army units into Hubei Province, where there are rumors of
riots. In short, history is happening. There is no precedent for this
outbreak in modern world history. We have had plagues before, but no
one understood what was happening. It was God’s will. Now we
understand how viruses work, and we can clearly see how the Chinese
government has utterly failed at a basic task of modern governance.
Also, this sort of outbreak has never happened in such a rich country
with such a strong state and so interconnected with the rest of the
world. I don’t know how this will end, but China will not be the same
a year from now. And if this disease escapes China’s borders, other
countries might be similarly tested.

Based on the delays announced at Purism, this seems to confirm that all the Chinese factories will be shut down for 3 months. What seems strange to me is that warm weather will kill the virus. Usually warmer weather lets diseases spread.

I’m guessing that none of the Chinese companies that do assembly in India, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Brazil and Ethiopia will be able to run their factories if they can’t get parts out of China.

Considering that Samsung and LG are the two phone makers that have the fewest operations in China, I wonder if they will benefit from this crisis, or they also have too many parts coming from China, so their factories in Vietnam will have to also shut down.
Samsung announced last year that it was shutting down its last Chinese factory and would be outsourcing the design and manufacturing of 60 million of its phones per year to Chinese ODMs. I wonder if Samsung is now regretting that decision to outsource to Chinese ODMs like Wingtech.

2 Likes

I am absolutely no expert on this, but I have read that when the weather is cold people spend more time indoors in each others’ company and it is this that increases human-to-human transmission rates.

I’m quite happy to be corrected by anyone who has expertise in this area.

1 Like

Corona is de-railing this topic again imo. Purism staff closed another topic which was dedicated to this topic, so I would conclude this kind of discussion is not wanted in this forum, so can we please not just post it in all other threads? Let’s imagine I search for a dogwood batch information in 3 months and all I find is corona… - not helpful.

3 Likes

We were asked to close a thread that got derailed into arguing over anti bacterial properties of silver (among other things). People are free to talk about what they like but just try to stay on topic and follow the Community Guidelines. We don’t want to use a heavy hand, people should feel free to discuss stuff.

Be good to one another and stay on topic, that’s all I personally ask. :kissing_heart:

11 Likes

I concur. It was my thread, it was getting silly, and we eventually answered the question. This was a forum success, not a forum fail.

4 Likes

Interesting. Even perhaps better might be Evergreen or later with an I.MX8Mmini if it could fit a heat sink of this nature. The smaller size would both help to keep the device a bit more manageable as far as size and spacing of components to insulate from generated heat and would increase available spacing for passive heat management as this Reform device.

I have found a citation of the mini device I noted: http://linuxgizmos.com/tiny-solderable-i-mx8m-mini-module-debuts-new-osm-form-factor/

4 Likes

Indeed, up to your link (not to be skipped over), the future (in general) looks promising thanks to the idea of all Open Standard Modules™.

https://sget.org/product/conga-qmx8/ < features the iMX8 from NXP

I don’t think so while this NXP i.MX8 ARM Cortex-A72, Cortex-A53 and -M4F module might be too powerful and too big one (70x70 mm²). Please refer to linked .pdf file: "The OSM™ is made up of four different sizes that build upon each other:

Size-0 – “Zero”: 30 mm x 15 mm
Size-S – “Small”: 30 mm x 30 mm
Size-M – “Medium”: 30 mm x 45 mm
Size-L – “Large”: 45 mm x 45 mm."

I’m currently in favor of NXP i.MX 8M Plus, but who knows, just speculating.

1 Like

The i.MX 8M mini is more energy efficient and puts out less heat, but it has too weak of a GPU to be used for convergence as a PC, in my opinion. I’m glad that Purism decided to use the i.MX 8M Quad at 14nm rather than use the i.MX 8M mini for Fir.

2 Likes

Hah! True, how silly … silver :rofl:

Thankfully, I think we can count on Purism to have a strategy for disinfecting any of the products they receive from Asia–before they ship it to our door.
I’m sure they’re aware that the virus can be transmitted via inanimate surfaces, like plastic, etc. They’re also probably aware that the virus can survive in excess of nine days upon a given surface, while exposed to indoor atmospheres.
I trust this, plus a variety of other technical implications are being carefully considered here and that they’ll take proper steps to protect us.