No Nextcloud contacts any more

I have on my Librem 5 in GNOME Online Accounts a Nextcloud account set up. I the past I had the Nextcloud contacts in the Contacts application, but now not any more. Before creating a bug report I wanted to ask for support here.
The contacts of the same Nextcloud account are visible on my Fedora computers (which have a more recent version of the Contacts application though).
I do not see any logging in the journal that indicates a problem.
Any suggestions what can be wrong?
The version of GNOME Contacts on the Librem 5 is 3.38.1. The latest version of GNOME Contacts is 42.0. When can I expect a newer version of GNOME Contacts on the Librem 5?

This issue keeps occurring now and then, which is very inconvenient, because Nextcloud contacts are not locally cached (see also this feature request), so sometimes I end up with no contacts available in the Librem 5. Also newly added contacts end up in the local address book of the Librem 5, which I do not want.
This never happens with my laptops that run Fedora 36 with newer versions of Evolution data server. Would it be possible to provide up to date Evolution software to the Librem 5?

Could you write down how to reproduce the problem?

I’m interested, because I seem to be doing exactly the same as you:

• nextlcoud
  • syncing contacts
  • getting offline a lot
  • not even having a connection to my nextcloud when not connected to my lan

The problem your describing didn’t hit me (yet) and I do not want to get into the situation that I do not have my contacts at hand.

Versions of the mentioned software on my phone are:

purism@pureos:~$ dpkg-query -W | grep -i '^gnome-contacts\|^evolution'
evolution-data-server	3.38.3-1
evolution-data-server-common	3.38.3-1
gnome-contacts	3.38.1-1+pureos2
1 Like

Unfortunately, I do not know how the problem occurred, and currently I still have this issue, but I do not know how to reproduce it.
The issue is maybe related to a relative slow Nextcloud server. Maybe authentication times out. Sometimes I see in GNOME Settings | Online Accounts that the Nextcloud credentials need to be updated (although they did not change).
I also installed Evolution to see if the Nextcloud contacts are there, but they are also not there.

My versions:

$ dpkg-query -W | grep -i '^gnome-contacts\|^evolution'
evolution	3.38.3-1
evolution-common	3.38.3-1
evolution-data-server	3.38.3-1
evolution-data-server-common	3.38.3-1
evolution-plugin-bogofilter	3.38.3-1
evolution-plugin-pstimport	3.38.3-1
evolution-plugins	3.38.3-1
gnome-contacts	3.38.1-1+pureos2

I went to Evolution | Edit | Accounts. There I see the Nextcloud account with Calendars and Task Lists, but the Address Books are missing. I tried several things, like disabling the Nextcloud address book in GNOME Settings Online Account, refreshing the the accounts in Evolution, all without success. If I later somehow manage to get the address book back I will report it here. But my conclusion for now is that this is probably an issue with the old Evolution version, as the address book is shown in GNOME Settings Online Accounts. Also removing and adding the Nextcloud account in GNOME Settings Online Account did not fix the problem.

Do you use evolution? If not (or just temporary) it would be worth a try to uninstall all the components I do not have installed and test again.

I needed to install Evolution to be able to accept a self signed certificate of my Nextcloud server. The strange thing is that it worked for weeks, with all the evolution components installed. Also, Evolution gives a bit more feedback than GNOME Contacts. If I find some time I will try to remove the components you have not installed, and then report back the results here.

Uhm, this is the reason I installed a Let’s encrypt certificate for my nextcloud some time ago - even though it can’t be reached from the internet. To many things just didn’t work without cert warnings or at all.

Maybe this is the difference we’re looking for?

1 Like

I have been trying uninstalling and reinstalling evolution and evolution-data-server. But I still have the issue. I reported this issue now here.

Ok, now, all of a sudden, after uninstalling and reinstalling some evolution components as described earlier, the Nextcloud contacts address book appeared again in GNOME Contacts on my L5. Maybe it takes some time for GNOME Contacts to detect the GNOME Online Accounts (GOA) address book. Unfortunately, I still do not really know the root case of the problem. If it happens again, I will update this thread.

Nice to see that gnome-contacts 43~beta-1pureos2 arrived on the Librem 5. Thanks!

I am getting this problem again. Normally a reboot or two has resolved the problem, but the issue still persists after 4 reboots this time.

Edit: After deleting and re-adding my nextcloud online account, turning phone off, removing and reinserting the battery and restarted the device I finally got my contacts and calendar appointments back.

Edit 2: Just noticed that my nextcloud contacts are visible in calls and contacts, but not in chatty. Wonder what is going on here?

1 Like

I experience at the moment that I do see the Nextcloud contacts in GNOME Contacts, but changes made on the Librem 5, and newly added contacts seem not to be synchronized to the Nextcloud contacts.

However, my Librem 5 did not loose all Nextcloud contacts lately.

Have you checked that Nextcloud is in fact chosen as the default address book in Contacts? That choice is normally persistent, but I have had to set this again a few times when it for some reason defaulted to the local address book instead.

1 Like

Here we go again, Nextcloud contacts and calendar events gone from the phone and reboot didn’t solve it. This happened last about a month ago and I still don’t know what triggers it.

This is what I find with $ journalctl | grep -i contacts

mar 27 16:14:10 pureos dbus-daemon[1616]: [session uid=1000 pid=1616] Activating service name='org.gnome.Contacts' requested by ':1.80' (uid=1000 pid=2085 comm="gnome-calls --daemon ")
mar 27 16:14:10 pureos dbus-daemon[1616]: [session uid=1000 pid=1616] Successfully activated service 'org.gnome.Contacts'
mar 27 16:14:11 pureos gnome-contacts[2268]: Failed to find primary PersonaStore with type ID 'eds' and ID '99c40a73b11b34b0b9053f398b3b4cfb925e63e2'.
mar 27 16:14:24 pureos dbus-daemon[1616]: [session uid=1000 pid=1616] Activating service name='org.gnome.Contacts' requested by ':1.31' (uid=1000 pid=1810 comm="/usr/libexec/phosh ")
mar 27 16:14:24 pureos dbus-daemon[1616]: [session uid=1000 pid=1616] Successfully activated service 'org.gnome.Contacts'
mar 27 16:14:26 pureos gnome-contacts[2379]: Failed to find primary PersonaStore with type ID 'eds' and ID '99c40a73b11b34b0b9053f398b3b4cfb925e63e2'.
mar 27 16:14:26 pureos phosh[1810]: Could not find application for app-id 'gnome-contacts'

and with $ journalctl | grep -i calendar

mar 27 16:14:00 pureos dbus-daemon[1616]: [session uid=1000 pid=1616] Activating service name='sm.puri.Phosh.CalendarServer' requested by ':1.31' (uid=1000 pid=1810 comm="/usr/libexec/phosh ")
mar 27 16:14:01 pureos dbus-daemon[1616]: [session uid=1000 pid=1616] Activating via systemd: service name='org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Sources5' unit='evolution-source-registry.service' requested by ':1.39' (uid=1000 pid=1872 comm="/usr/libexec/phosh-calendar-server ")
mar 27 16:14:01 pureos dbus-daemon[1616]: [session uid=1000 pid=1616] Activating via systemd: service name='org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Calendar8' unit='evolution-calendar-factory.service' requested by ':1.39' (uid=1000 pid=1872 comm="/usr/libexec/phosh-calendar-server ")
mar 27 16:14:01 pureos systemd[1589]: Starting Evolution calendar service...
mar 27 16:14:01 pureos dbus-daemon[1616]: [session uid=1000 pid=1616] Successfully activated service 'sm.puri.Phosh.CalendarServer'
mar 27 16:14:01 pureos dbus-daemon[1616]: [session uid=1000 pid=1616] Successfully activated service 'org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Calendar8'
mar 27 16:14:01 pureos systemd[1589]: Started Evolution calendar service.
mar 27 16:14:01 pureos dbus-daemon[1616]: [session uid=1000 pid=1616] Activating via systemd: service name='org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.AddressBook10' unit='evolution-addressbook-factory.service' requested by ':1.41' (uid=1000 pid=1892 comm="/usr/libexec/evolution-calendar-factory ")

Edit: While I was writing the above (4-5 minutes) the contacts are back. I can add that they disappeared after a restart from removing/reinserting battery. First did a normal reboot, which didn’t seem to solve it, then did another restart through removing/reinserting battery and contacts were back after maybe 5 minutes. Very strange!

I experienced last week also that I lost my Nextcloud contacts again a few times, after that it was working for several weeks. I tried to figure out what I exactly was the problem but then got the contacts back, without really changing anything as far as I know. And right now I lost the Nextcloud contacts again. If I have more information I provide an update here.

How can I restart the evolution services?

I especially want to see what happens if I restart the evolution-addressbook-factory.service.

But this does not work:

# systemctl restart  evolution-addressbook-factory.service
Failed to restart evolution-addressbook-factory.service: Unit evolution-addressbook-factory.service not found.

But I do see this:

# systemctl status | grep evolution
           │   │ │ ├─evolution-calendar-factory.service 
           │   │ │ │ └─1356 /usr/libexec/evolution-calendar-factory
           │   │ │ ├─evolution-source-registry.service 
           │   │ │ │ └─1300 /usr/libexec/evolution-source-registry
           │   │ │ ├─evolution-addressbook-factory.service 
           │   │ │ │ └─1464 /usr/libexec/evolution-addressbook-factory
           │   │ └─3192 grep evolution
           │     ├─1607 /usr/libexec/evolution-data-server/evolution-alarm-notify

Try it without appending the .service. :slight_smile:

That gives the same result:

# systemctl restart evolution-addressbook-factory
Failed to restart evolution-addressbook-factory.service: Unit evolution-addressbook-factory.service not found.

Can you restart evolution-data-server as a whole?