Please don't put accessories with the librem 5

99% of people on this forum though, so likely yourself, are tech people.

We have (well not me I break them) a million chargers lying about from this and that ect. Think about your ordinary user, who this phone must appeal to as well.

Ordinary people don’t have a million chargers lying about, they just don’t.

The accessories are a nice touch and help the phone feel more complete and professional imo.

2 Likes

All phones were shipped with a USB PD charger and USB-C to USB-C cable.

1 Like

With the built-in obsolescence, particularly of Android phones, a non-technical user could already be on generation 4+ of their phone. Did they keep the old phones and the old chargers? Who knows. (Some people take a hand-me-down approach.)

With the original request, it doesn’t really matter whether a customer has old chargers. If no then order with a charger. If yes then order without a charger.

My concern was that the ordinary person won’t know whether the old charger is suitable for use with the shiny new Librem 5 phone and we shouldn’t ask an ordinary person to take on the task of finding out (the hard way).

5 Likes

@kieran Idk about other users but I go through chargers far quicker than I go through phones. Most non technical people I know don’t have loads of chargers and stuff laying around.

3 Likes

+1 for less electronic Waste

No Charger and no Headphone would be fully okay for me.
Usually most of these “nice” accessories are really cheap crab and waste of Money and especially waste of ressources.
I prefer buying just those things I need and which fit my requirements.

4 Likes

All someone need to know is Librem 5 USB Type-C socket info (supports PD2.0 and PD3.0 specifications and USB 2.0 High-Speed Data), rest is easy as it will be nowadays hard to find any charger/cable below such specification(s). Any USB-C Cable with Power Delivery (3A or 5A) and USB 3.0 or 3.1 specs that already lays around will serve the purpose too.

1 Like

And how does one tell by looking at the cable they bought over a year ago whether it meets that? Just plug it in and hope it doesn’t melt? FWIW until now I had no reason to know that there were special cables for power delivery (much less different power ratings) vs just a cheap USB-C cable…

Also most of the people I know refer to that many acronyms as alphabet soup. A bunch of random letters together that has no real meaning to them. Saying “all someone needs to know” then dropping IT jargon isn’t as common knowledge as you might think.

Sure, most of us early adopters know this stuff and would look up the things we don’t, but most people want to turn on electronics and start using them to accomplish tasks; not everyone enjoys learning and even fewer enjoy learning about technology.

Just some, hopefully useful, perspective.

7 Likes

about that … maybe usb cable manufacturers need a better way to let us mortals know EXACTLY what it is and what it’s limitations are … most products i buy in the store are HALF guess-duty with no easy way to figure this crap out …

3 Likes

Maybe like some sort of standard that a consortium agrees to?

1 Like

exactly 3.0, 3.1 (gen1, gen2, etc.), 3.2, next 4.0, isn’t exactly helping … just rate the damn thing and tell us what it can and can’t do in a no bullshit label :triumph:

1 Like

USB-IF Certified.

1 Like

5A USB-C cables are having (sometimes) this number easily recognized on top of both connectors. They are not cheap, and even if not written down (5A) their cable thickness is not comparable to ordinary/slim 3A USB-C cables.

they got the current intensity rating right but the speed part not so much …

they only say it’s usb-2.0 so this means that they EXPECT users will KNOW that it is limited to 480 mb/s r/w bandwidth … and even then, most people don’t make the difference between megaBITS and megaBYTES …

for the L5 this is a non-issue since it CAN NOT surpass 480 mb/s anyway but maybe other devices CAN … results in the user having to buy something else > WALL-E

2 Likes

Well, this one might work for You!

i got a usb-c-to-usb-c 5A THICK cable @10gb/s with my Asus PA monitor so that is a non-issue for ME but i was referring to what OTHER people might run by when they go into a computer-shop (physical or virtual doesn’t matter) and they get a headache at the cables shelf :dizzy_face:

4 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t know USB-IF was even a thing. But that kind of backs up the point that most people don’t and won’t know all these things and your comment about it SOMETIMES being marked on the cable is precisely the problem, sometimes it isn’t and that’s either a poor standard or poor implementation.

Either way, this is not something someone should have to guess on or research extensively for a new device. I’m on board with an OPTION to opt out of cables/accessories, but the default should, in my opinion, be to include these standard accessories.

4 Likes

I don’t really need another earphone headset, but I absolutely want a charger and USB cable to be included.

+1 for swapping the headphones for a silicone cover

If Purism wasn’t going to supply a charger and a cable, then I would certainly have to buy one. I’d really appreciate not being put through the hassle of:

• figuring out which chargers and cables are compatible;
  • deciphering retailers’ obfuscations of the technical specifications; and
  • avoiding fake, unsafe and regulatory non-compliant products.

I like to use the manufacturer’s supplied charger, and I don’t have any spare ones knocking around anyway.

7 Likes

I agree, I think librem 5 should come without any accessories because everyone have it and if someboy even don’t have one - he can easily buy one in any shop. I agree about money and also I think about ecology

I think it’s obvious that a phone should come with a charging cable, ideally one that also serves as data.

I do agree that headphones are a bit unnecessary though. Same thing with a case. If you want to buy those, you can totally do that, but I think when buying the phone it should just be the phone, and the charging/data cable. Keep it simple and clean.

1 Like

Isn’t the

Mechanical Design: Molded case.

advertised in the Evergreen Batch details a phone case?