Please don't put accessories with the librem 5

All someone need to know is Librem 5 USB Type-C socket info (supports PD2.0 and PD3.0 specifications and USB 2.0 High-Speed Data), rest is easy as it will be nowadays hard to find any charger/cable below such specification(s). Any USB-C Cable with Power Delivery (3A or 5A) and USB 3.0 or 3.1 specs that already lays around will serve the purpose too.

1 Like

And how does one tell by looking at the cable they bought over a year ago whether it meets that? Just plug it in and hope it doesn’t melt? FWIW until now I had no reason to know that there were special cables for power delivery (much less different power ratings) vs just a cheap USB-C cable…

Also most of the people I know refer to that many acronyms as alphabet soup. A bunch of random letters together that has no real meaning to them. Saying “all someone needs to know” then dropping IT jargon isn’t as common knowledge as you might think.

Sure, most of us early adopters know this stuff and would look up the things we don’t, but most people want to turn on electronics and start using them to accomplish tasks; not everyone enjoys learning and even fewer enjoy learning about technology.

Just some, hopefully useful, perspective.

7 Likes

about that … maybe usb cable manufacturers need a better way to let us mortals know EXACTLY what it is and what it’s limitations are … most products i buy in the store are HALF guess-duty with no easy way to figure this crap out …

3 Likes

Maybe like some sort of standard that a consortium agrees to?

1 Like

exactly 3.0, 3.1 (gen1, gen2, etc.), 3.2, next 4.0, isn’t exactly helping … just rate the damn thing and tell us what it can and can’t do in a no bullshit label :triumph:

1 Like

USB-IF Certified.

1 Like

5A USB-C cables are having (sometimes) this number easily recognized on top of both connectors. They are not cheap, and even if not written down (5A) their cable thickness is not comparable to ordinary/slim 3A USB-C cables.

they got the current intensity rating right but the speed part not so much …

they only say it’s usb-2.0 so this means that they EXPECT users will KNOW that it is limited to 480 mb/s r/w bandwidth … and even then, most people don’t make the difference between megaBITS and megaBYTES …

for the L5 this is a non-issue since it CAN NOT surpass 480 mb/s anyway but maybe other devices CAN … results in the user having to buy something else > WALL-E

2 Likes

Well, this one might work for You!

i got a usb-c-to-usb-c 5A THICK cable @10gb/s with my Asus PA monitor so that is a non-issue for ME but i was referring to what OTHER people might run by when they go into a computer-shop (physical or virtual doesn’t matter) and they get a headache at the cables shelf :dizzy_face:

4 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t know USB-IF was even a thing. But that kind of backs up the point that most people don’t and won’t know all these things and your comment about it SOMETIMES being marked on the cable is precisely the problem, sometimes it isn’t and that’s either a poor standard or poor implementation.

Either way, this is not something someone should have to guess on or research extensively for a new device. I’m on board with an OPTION to opt out of cables/accessories, but the default should, in my opinion, be to include these standard accessories.

4 Likes

I don’t really need another earphone headset, but I absolutely want a charger and USB cable to be included.

+1 for swapping the headphones for a silicone cover

If Purism wasn’t going to supply a charger and a cable, then I would certainly have to buy one. I’d really appreciate not being put through the hassle of:

• figuring out which chargers and cables are compatible;
  • deciphering retailers’ obfuscations of the technical specifications; and
  • avoiding fake, unsafe and regulatory non-compliant products.

I like to use the manufacturer’s supplied charger, and I don’t have any spare ones knocking around anyway.

7 Likes

I agree, I think librem 5 should come without any accessories because everyone have it and if someboy even don’t have one - he can easily buy one in any shop. I agree about money and also I think about ecology

I think it’s obvious that a phone should come with a charging cable, ideally one that also serves as data.

I do agree that headphones are a bit unnecessary though. Same thing with a case. If you want to buy those, you can totally do that, but I think when buying the phone it should just be the phone, and the charging/data cable. Keep it simple and clean.

1 Like

Isn’t the

Mechanical Design: Molded case.

advertised in the Evergreen Batch details a phone case?

Well, depends on how you define “phone case”. I believe they refer just to the permanent case around the phone components, the exterior of the phone. In the Aspen batch it says “Individually milled case” and I highly doubt that they received an individually milled external case.

2 Likes

How about few words on non-standard ones that might be needed. Here is link to USB-A 3.0 (5Gbps) cable without …. Another one from the same manufacturer, for the same purpose, USB-A 3.1 Gen2 (up to 10Gbps) is, in addition, USB-IF Certified.

Also, link to USB-A 2.0 (480 Mbps) short version of the similar (safe) cable (but longer ones are easy to be found within the same Store).

@OpojOJirYAlG, why would I recommend (don’t :upside_down_face:, please) any of those above (only those above, that I know of, still available at this point of time, without posteriorly using some particular kind of USB meter) USB Type-A to USB Type-C cables to be used with Librem 5 connected to any of my USB-A laptop ports (host) or, even worse (under some rare, but possible, case scenario, yet still relatively safe cables mentioned in this post, although cannot be recognized as PD3.0 capable), carelessly connected to the high quality charger that might actually burn my …, although this charger PD3.0 compatible …? Partial answer lies somewhere within this article (for sure, contains two numbers of some kind of measurement): https://usbchargingblog.wordpress.com/2020/02/26/how-to-blow-up-your-usb-tester-or-device-the-secret-of-the-pd-switch/

As already in 2016 big players understood that they might lose their customers: “Unfortunately some USB-C cables have been made with the incorrect resistor, typically only 10k ohm, which means that it is possible for the device to draw more power than the plug can safely supply or potentially for the plug to push more power than the device can take.” And, although irrelevant here, do you think (agree) importer simply threw away those cables with 10k ohm of pull-up resistors on CC pin?

So, in short, “take things easy way” approach (or don’t use any other cable, especially related not to use the bad ones) isn’t something that I’d personally like to stick to. Besides I don’t possess any charger with less than 5V/1.5A any more, therefore this post (on cables with USB-C connector).

Full answer I see within paragraph(s) of this sentence: “Since the cable does not know which port you will plug it in, the safe cable pull-up should be 56k, otherwise the phone can try to suck 1.5A or even 3A from the cable.

1 Like

A triaxial cnc milling machine can spit them out real quick, so yes they could be considered individually milled. It’s the first article that’s difficult.

Reminds me of a story about a company that made “hand painted” ceramic plates over 40 years ago. It was done with a robotic three fingered “hand”, paint brushes, and paint! No false marketing there.

A charger and cable included saves footprint. Except if you have lots of those cables and correct output charger, which most people don’t, therefore including those two are better than not doing so for the environment.

1 Like

Frankly, unless these are something along the lines of entry level audiophile earbuds, I don’t want them.
If they are really good quality w/ good sound then I’d appreciate having them!

The more USB cables and chargers, the better. I can just leave them all over the place, keep the cables in bags and jackets, etc.
I’m assuming these would be higher quality cables. USB C can be a little tricky. Some cheap cables can’t handle higher power or fast data transfer rates.

What I would like:
right angle cables so I can keep it in my pocket while charging and listening to music.