[MyL5] Received my Librem 5 (Evergreen)

I’ m recommending that the root conversation be moved to its own thread as it may continue on for some time as it seems interesting.

Same to the deliberations of “when” and the meaning of time (there are several thread already for that).

Please practice some thread hygiene :wink:

1 Like

Incidentally, @guru, I checked the wayback machine, and the campaign was at ~85% on our day.

Like @ruff said, only the root password is locked, meaning no one can log in as root. Things like sudo work as expected and rootful things (like apt update/upgrade) can still be done. I even think sudo su - works with the root password locked, so it’s not really restricting too much and can be easily removed by those who want to.

Feel free to move this to a new thread, didn’t see @JR-Fi’s comment until I finished writing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For sure on topic separation. Would be nice I think.

I didn’t even know that you could disable login into the root account, but still use sudo normally. I have NEVER logged into root except when SSH’ing into a few servers of mine.

1 Like

Fastest way is that one of you just starts a new thread and recaps what’s necessary from here…

Please move questions/comments on locked root passwords here

6 Likes

15 Likes

CORRECTION:
There is in fact a protector on the screen after peeling off the outer protector. Don’t know how I missed that…

8 Likes

ordered mine September 28, 2017 and no email yet but i don’t mind waiting, it will give me something to look forward to as UK lockdown bleeds into xmas :rofl:

2 Likes

16 Likes

I am not sure. That’s why I asked…

Since I’m new to linux devices that can make cellular calls does anyone know if there is a terminal command to make calls such as " Sudo APT call 5557656587 ?

I’m going to nerd the F out if thats a thing when I get my L5 xD

5 Likes

xdg-open tel://1234 works for me :wink:

18 Likes

ohhhhhh boy xD I cant wait to make a call from inside a terminal . Life 2.0 !!

6 Likes

You could technically write a script to spam call a scammer

1 Like

But, they would have your cell number then…

I wonder if cellular VPN will become a thing ?

2 Likes

To help answer some of the “what does it look/feel like” questions, we published a walkthrough video that shows what the default mass-produced Librem 5 base config is like today as a snapshot in time:

12 Likes

I’m a bit curious about the phone back cover, how durable do you think it is?
I’m thinking I would detach it quite often… would that deteriorate it…?
Perhaps Purism should sells this back cover in the shop?

3 Likes

I’m certain there will be possibilites if that turned out to be a problem. :slightly_smiling_face: