Status of Suspend for Librem 5

This is not the whole story. There are several open suspend issues: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/linux/-/issues?label_name[]=suspend

3 Likes

Ah ! thank you !

wow, it is amazing that you can read that text and then deduce that holding down the power button for 18 seconds does the right thing. are there any other important techniques revealed in that document?

You might want to check this out, too:
https://docs.puri.sm/Librem_5.html

2 Likes

yes, i’ve been through that.

Hello all, just to say that I thank Martin Kepplinger very much for his (very) long and hard work on the suspend issues.
This man works hard, he updates the gitlab issues one by one, contacts linux teams at NXP, kernel teams, etc. and frankly even if he doesn’t see my message here, I thank him a lot for his serious and quality commitment.

I hope that he and the other teams will be able to solve the many concerns about suspending which is an essential feature of any smartphone, especially now when we talk a lot about energy issues and anti-waste of energy measures.

20 Likes

Recently I had to go to sleep without access to a charger for my L5. Luckily, the battery level was at 87% so I figured it would last the night if it would sleep too (systemctl suspend). It did, but not with a wide margin. After 9.5 hours I woke the phone from suspend and the battery level had dropped to 27%. That means it lost ~6.3% per hour during suspend. This is, of course, a lot better than the 10-12% per hour it usually drops when fully awake.

With this background I am curious if there are any hardware limitations e.g. battery capacity, CPU, GPU, storage etc. that determines the minimum battery drain per hour or is it only about software optimizations to reach the level of other modern smartphones?

5 Likes

From what I’ve seen, it seems that the large battery drain is simply due to the fact that Librem 5 currently defaults to s2idle and not deep sleep.
cat /sys/power/mem_sleep returns s2idle [deep].

There’s an old MR saying that suspend to ram is not supported but I don’t know what the current status is.

Am I correct in considering that current power consumption is simply due to s2idle and will get better once deep is supported?
Is there already a way to use deep or is it still unsupported?

1 Like

So what is the difference between s2idle [deep] and deep sleep?

Well, I think that the selected option is the one not within bracket but I could be wrong.

As for the difference between the two options, see the kernel description.

On my L5, pureos, with tlp installed, the current power consumption in suspend is 4% per hour.

That is much better than 6.3%, I thought tlp was not recommended on the L5 yet. Are you using any custom tlp settings or just the standard? Does it make a difference on battery drain when not in suspend too?

I haven’t checked idle consumption for now, will do soon but I don’t have a no-tlp reference.
As for tlp, I did not know it was not recommended… I’m using the default.

See: TLP on Librem 5, would it have any effect?

2 Likes

Haha, thanks, remember now that I asked that question :grin:

Anyhow, if it has an effect on suspend that’s better than nothing.

1 Like

I’m at 9% per hour on idle with tlp, would have to check again how it is with tlp disabled.

So I only get a 50% improvement on suspend, which is much lower than what I’ve been getting on the PinePhone, for instance (I think in STR mode, battery can last more than a week).

With all the radios on? Without tlp I have been averaging maybe 12% drain per hour with bluetooth off.

sorry, no, I haven’t inserted my sim in there and I usually keep the mic/cam off so that’s just with wifi/bt (and bt was off)

I tried the suspend mode yesterday. 5 and 15 minutes in battery mode and 1h on power supply. None of them worked. It didn’t awake on pressing the on button nor when receiving a SMS.

Hello, I regularly check on the gitlab and I don’t see so much progress on suspend side (this is not a criticism).

I would just like to know if the team thinks that it is no longer possible to progress on this subject or if there is another reason? Thank you.

13 Likes

I have shared my experience on another thread on the same topic Suspended status and battery

Manually suspending at night and waking it up in the morning works, which can keep the phone running continuously without powering off. Though you will still need a power bank if you travel.

Even with this we can miss a few calls when modem vanishes randomly.

1 Like