Status of the Librem 5

I’ve read that customers will be receiving phones soon. Where are shipping updates and recent reviews?

2 Likes

Customers have already received phones and are receiving phones as we speak. FTFY. :wink:

What is your approximate order date?

1 Like

Here is my short review: it is absolutely great, but it’s not for everyone yet.

7 Likes

Type myL5 in the search bar for topics of people who got theirs. Purism intends to publish shipping estimates for the rest of us in January.

6 Likes

Recent reviews are in this forum, on Reddit, and on YouTube.

So one way or another every customer who has not yet reached the front of the queue should receive an email from Purism in January.

It will either be the modem selection email (reached the front of the queue) or it will be the estimate for when the former will be sent.

No, im sure it will be some sort of public announcement via the website

I emailed them and asked for a refund 6 months ago, and they informed me that I would only get a refund after all pre-orders have been fulfilled. My order has been marked “Pending Refund”, and I’m guessing that if I tried to un-refund I would be moved to the back of the queue. Given the pace of pre-order fulfillment and what I’ve inferred about the company’s finances, at this point I don’t think I will ever get either a phone or a refund :frowning:

4 Likes

Ehh, you might not be moved back. I believe purism only gives you a refund once they get to your spot in line for fulfillment. If you just email them asking if you can hop back in, I’m sure they would let you. They still want your money lol.

1 Like

Definitely get your refund before the pre-orders. I’m. going to be waiting until the end of this month before requesting a refund as they told me I’d be getting my phone in January (and I’m giving them this last benefit of the doubt). But it is good to know what their refund policy is in the case I need to request legal counsel. They never delivered the product on time–and to the best of my knowledge there is no timeline for product delivery now that they are 2 years late. If you’d like to wait until the end of the month, I can follow up with you and let you know whether I received my phone or a refund.

waiting for 3 years only to ask for a refund seems like a shame … the L5 is worth a few more months of waiting in line (couple thousand of people ordered before me)

i whish i knew about Purism and L5 sooner … can’t even remember how i got here now after all this time … but maybe at some point in the future an algorithm will make me remember :upside_down_face: NOT …

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t understand all the people suddenly deciding, after having a 3 year old pre-order, that they want their money back. I totally understand the frustration with Purisms lack of disclosure and constant delays. But for the first time, I think most of us feel as though we know roughly when we will actually get our phone. I have followed the project since the beginning of crowdfunding, but I didn’t place my order until this October, because of what I stated above. I always believed Purism had good intent and would deliver a product, but I wasn’t going to place my order until I saw the final hardware working. Software I was not concerned with as it is just an adaptation from their current computer line. Had Purisms communication been better over the years I probably would have ordered sooner. If Purism didn’t already have a line of computers, I would have been convinced the L5 was a scam purely due to lack of full disclosure. I still am of firm belief that Purism holds off information for as long as possible because things are almost always not on schedule and it would cause many more people to ask for a refund. I think it’s slimy, but I also can sympathize with the difficulty of the L5 project. At the end of the day, Purism is making (in my mind) the ideal privacy phone and is taking every step needed with no shortcuts to accomplish that. That is why I will continue to support them.

6 Likes

Several reasons:

• blatent lack of communication (as you mentioned)
  • shifting delays (as you mentioned too)
  • unexpected (at least by me) tax and custom fees: since it was mentioned that european devices would be shipped from Europe (which won’t happen…), I misread “no custom fees” since there are none within Europe. With the custom fees alone, one can buy a PinePhone…
  • disappointing final phone, mainly due to the ridiculous battery autonomy. I for instance intended to use it as my only phone, but I guess I won’t even be able to do that.

So the reasons for a refund are legion.
As of now I have still not made my mind if I want a refund or not but the more I wait the more I consider it.

3 Likes

No worries. Standby time will increase significantly:

2 Likes

At least the battery meter will start to reflect reality within a few days, thanks to the coming software update. That will make it easier to use with confidence now that we’ll know when it definitely needs a recharge.

Product delivery was slated for January 2019, it’s January 2021. Again an announcement was made stating that early backers (before October) would receive phones this month, so for early backers who don’t receive phones, if this isn’t a good time to request a refund, then I don’t see when a good time would ever be.

No. The announcement said that early backers (orders through to the end of October 2017) would receive a shipping estimate this month. That is quite a different thing.

2 Likes

No. The announcement said that early backers (orders through to the end of October 2017) would receive a shipping estimate this month. That is quite a different thing.

Subject: Re: Shipping Information ETA

Hello,

If you backed original campaign, your order should be shipped in January. We will send another round of pre-shipping emails starting next week.

Kind regards,

No, as you can see from the email above, Purism support is explicitly saying delivery in January for early backers. In fact when I followed up and stated that due to it being the end of the month, that such a delivery date seemed impossible I was told it is still possible to receive the phone by the end of this month. The announcement does not contradict this information. Perhaps it’s vaguely worded to allow wiggle room for folks who are willing to wait an indefinite period of time?

2 Likes

Congratulations! Good for you if it’s January for you.
Still waiting for my mail.

Even though it’s January then for you, this statement is still not accurate.
Well… technically it is, because you didn’t say “all”.
But then again, that wouln’t be news, as early backers received phones in November and December, too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

You originally wrote “announcement”, I wrote “announcement”, now you are writing “email”.

So have you received your modem selection / shipment address confirmation email ??? If you have then you may well receive your phone in January. If not then I doubt it.

1 Like