Crimson Experience

Does anyone know if the exim4-daemon-light package is necessary? After I upgraded to Crimson, OpenSnitch alerted me to the /usr/bin/exim4 binary trying to make a network connection.

1 Like

It’s an MTA = Mail Transport Agent. It might have been installed as a dependency of your mail client. To check the reverse dependency tree you can install apt-rdepends and consider the output of:

apt-rdepends -r exim4-daemon-light

[Alternatively … and more dangerously for new people: You could simply start (but not OK) a “sudo apt remove exim4-daemon-light” and see which packages that depend on it will be removed. Warning: if there are no packages that depend on it … it will be removed with no “OK” —> but that might be OK anyway and can be reversed with an install.]

2 Likes

I ended up removing it with apt and it wasn’t required by any of my regular apps. Curious why an MTA is now considered default on a desktop OS. I haven’t seen that in common use since the 1990s.

1 Like

It does seem strange to me. But I also found: https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comments/z85c2q/exim4/ . I should note that @FranklyFlawless noted about a year ago that strange things … including exim4 … were added to Crimson. Crimson Experience - #58 by FranklyFlawless

2 Likes

That reddit discussion is worthwhile thanks for linking that. There use to be a small local only smtp shim servers that you could install on *nix systems that would route local email from things like cron and put it into a local mailbox and that’s it. Like these

It seems that’s what exim4 light is trying to accomplish.

There is a natural tension involved in selecting a distribution for Librem hardware. You want the user to have a functional no hassle experience, but by nature the people likely to buy such a product are more security conscious and probably would prefer as little non-essential software installed and running as possible.

1 Like

I have seen in the past how to configure the launcher box but I can’t find the post. Could someone (@FranklyFlawless) detail how to do this?

1 Like
3 Likes

Thank you, but… it isn’t working.
I put a .desktop in to the launcher folder but nothing shows up in the box on the lockscreen. :man_shrugging:
@FranklyFlawless Does it work for you?
@guido.gunther

1 Like

You can use this resource for enabling lock-screen plugins:

Otherwise, you can ask questions in the Matrix chatroom:

1 Like

Thanks, but have you used this feature?

1 Like

No, but I have answered all of your questions on how to accomplish this yourself.

2 Likes

I installed ‘landing’ on a Librem 5 to try that, and I’m getting the following:

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Calculating upgrade...
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 librem5-base : Depends: flatpak but it is not going to be installed
                Recommends: gnss-share but it is not going to be installed
                Recommends: pcscd but it is not going to be installed
                Recommends: systemd-resolved but it is not going to be installed
                Recommends: systemd-timesyncd but it is not going to be installed
 librem5-gnome-base : Depends: gnome-initial-setup but it is not going to be installed
                      Depends: gvfs-backends but it is not going to be installed
                      Depends: phosh-core but it is not going to be installed
                      Depends: pureos-store-plugin-flatpak but it is not going to be installed
                      Recommends: pureos-flatpak-defaults but it is not going to be installed
 librem5-gnome-phone : Depends: chatty but it is not going to be installed
                       Recommends: haegtesse but it is not going to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

Is this the current Crimson experience, or is there some way to unblock this and have it work?

Edit:

I switched landing to crimson and added crimson-security and it fixed everything, so maybe nevermind.

3 Likes

No, updating and upgrading packages are normal, other than that Dawn is also targeted for landing now. If you are having success with changing repositories, you can also consider adding crimson-updates and crimson-updates-proposed as well.

2 Likes

Their website was down only for a few days. You can find images at InstallingDebianOn/Purism/Librem5Phone - Debian Wiki

1 Like

is it possible to upgrade like upgrading debian versions, just chaging the repo?

1 Like

Yes, but troubleshooting is required:

hmm I see will it be available once it’s ready to upgrade?

1 Like

Yes, there will be a public announcement from Purism.

2 Likes

Any ETA? Like 6 months? 1 year?

1 Like

No formal ETA, but monthly blog articles will be published by Purism as Crimson progresses towards a stable release:

The next one will likely be at the beginning of September.

4 Likes