Estimate your Librem 14 shipping

Hello!

International deliveries to my country suck. But since I’m going to Miami for the first week of June, I was about to order a Librem 14 to be delivered to my AirBnB.

Then I read this thread and realize you guys have been waiting for a year.

There’s not a single chance in hell that if I order now I’m gonna get it delivered to Miami before June 5th, right? I know that’s pretty much the case but I thought I’d ask anyways to see if anybody has any ideas.

Thanks!

Well I ordered in mid August, and I honestly will be surprised if I have mine by your date of June 5th. But since we really don’t know how many they have, or how many have been ordered, or if they will have any extra for future orders, and their monthly delay announcements, there is no way to tell for sure. But in your case, I would not think you would get it that quickly IMO.

1 Like

No, I would cancel the order, it sounds like they’re hoping to reach parity around late June but realistically it’ll probably be late July, and then it still would have to get to the AirBnB

1 Like

Sigh… my door cam didn’t show anyone trying to deliver today… but this is the latest status update on my shipment… apparently I refused it?

Tried calling DHL, but seems they don’t answer phones on weekends. :astonished:

Maybe DHL knocked on the wrong door…?

I hope I get my tracking email this week. The only thing I added to my order was 32GB ram. Ordered July 13 2020.

Managed to get a hold of DHL’s social media people on Twitter.

Turns out this was due to duties and taxes owing. Because of Covid19 they don’t accept payment at the door, so they just assume you’ll know duties and taxes are owing and will pro-actively go and pay on their site, even without being notified of the need to do so. :man_shrugging:

Oh well, all paid up, hopefully it comes tomorrow.

5 Likes

If I understand your question correctly, no, maybe it can’t be used on Day 1 unless you pay for anti-interdiction, I suggest. I say this because the Librem Key will ship with a default PIN, which means that if someone alters the software on the laptop in the /boot partition then maybe the change can be re-signed in the Key. This assumes that your attacker can get hold of both devices but, for example, if you are not in the US and your attacker is your government then you should assume that they can interdict both devices. (Even if the Key is sent first and the recipient confirms receipt of the Key before the laptop is dispatched, a sophisticated attacker could maybe re-sign in the Key blind, and change the software in the laptop accordingly later on. However I believe that Purism won’t even entertain that kind of coordinated dispatch unless you are paying for anti-interdiction services.)

Then there’s the potential to alter the boot firmware on an interdicted laptop. Again, the anti-interdiction service involves countermeasures for that.

Bottom line: You decide what the nature of the interdiction threat is and tailor your order accordingly.

So, actually, I got the Pureboot bundle that comes with a Vault. The vault has a default GPG key that is set on the laptop at Purism. With the Librem Key I was indeed able to validate that the BIOS had not been tampered with on Day 1.

As I understand it, these keys are generated as a part of the Pureboot bundle and are unique to your purchase (though it is still suggested to replace this GPG key with your own for full control). Of course I didn’t pay for the anti-interdiction, so supply chain or dispatch issues still stand, but my Librem key did blink green on first boot.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip @aaronbrighton.

No tracking link today :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

So folks with orders placed in July, still haven’t gotten any emails? So I have to think that if Purism still is planning on shipping parity by end of June, then there weren’t all that many laptops ordered in the 9 months since, to ship them all in the next 6 weeks.
Or, we will be told of another unforeseen delay late in May…

1 Like

I would be more of this opinion …

1 Like

Pre-ordered: July 5th, 2020
Shipping confirmation email: March 31st, 2021
Shipped: May 10th, 2021
Delivered: May 17th, 2021 (FedEx bungled the shipping a few times)

9 Likes

So it shipped 40 days after your address verification email, which I haven’t even gotten yet.
Maybe July is more realistic for me LOL

When is the “last sent order” going to update? Seems like they haven’t updated the numbers in two weeks. I pre-ordered mine late September so I’m not super hopeful I’ll get mine before June but I’d like some kind of update.

Well, the problem is they are not shipping in absolute order of date ordered, they are in shipping in in order of address confirmation response email it seems, so we don’t know exactly how shopping is going except that they are shipping the first month of pre-orders. I believe that as soon as we hear something new, they will have started the second month and so on…

Date Ordered: July 4, 2020
Address Confirmation Email: March 26, 2021
Receipt of Address Confirmation: March 29, 2021

Had Anti-Interdiction, but downgraded to PureBoot Bundle Plus on May 5, 2021 and was told that my place in the shipping queue wouldn’t be changed due to that change. Also I’m ordering from within the US, if that helps. My thought is my place did change, has anybody else made a change & still received their tracking info and/or L14?

Date Ordered: August 15, 2020
Address Confirmation Email: May 18, 2021
Receipt of Address Confirmation: May 18, 2021
Shipping Notification: Waiting

Also, no serious injuries when I fell off my chair after seeing my address confirmation email. :rofl: :wink:

2 Likes

Mine arrived yesterday, so to close off my waiting/delivery story:

Delivery Date: May 17th, 2021.

Was going to throw Arch Linux on it, but perhaps I’ll give PureOS a try for now…

Hope the rest of you get yours soon!

I noticed a few keys require extra pressure to actually be responsive, the “a” especially. Hoping it just requires some “breaking-in”. Actually caused me to have to reset the OS password after initial setup, as whatever I set it too was not what I thought due to some missing characters. Most of the time I’ll be using an external keyboard so not too concerned about it at the moment. Would be interested to know if anyone else experiences this?

3 Likes

You mean August 15, 2020?

2 Likes