Estimate your Librem 5 shipping

Its nice to see that purism is at least consistent in their inconsistencies. I have yet to receive any kind of email regarding when my device will ship (backed 29 September '17) yet seemingly everyone else is getting one.
No my email has not changed, its the same as it has been for the last FIFTEEN YEARS

Instead of this posting you should contact Purism to clarify this. Maybe you missed the mail in your SPAM foder or for other technical reasons.

2 Likes

I did and its been 4 days with no status response. How long does it really take to run a check on an order status. I got a response saying they would check into it but seriously, how long does it take when you provide all the info they could possibly need to check the status. At this point if I get one great, if not thats pretty much what I expect from purism at this point.

1 Like

I’d send another email and ask for an update. When I was sorting out my issue trying to place an order, I waited for a week while they were looking into it. After shooting off a second email, I got my solution within a day.

Dunno but I’m waiting for 2months for status update on my RMA case from Pine64, so there’s space to grow :slight_smile:

I am not sure if this thread is already outdated… anyway, I am so excited about my arrived Librem5 I have to share the news :smile:

Ordered: 15th September 2017
Shipping estimate email: 26th January 2021
Shipping estimate: within 2 weeks (27th January - 10th February 2021)
Received: 22nd February 2021

A note to the shipping: It got shipped on the 5th of February for the first time but DHL returned it to Purism right away (might be because I ordered a spare battery and DHL had problems with the Li battery declaration). But the Purism support kept me informed and finally it shipped again on the 18th of February.

By the way: it got delivered to Germany. Customs was not an issue, DHL handled everything. DHL emailed me and I had to pay in total 134.53€ online for VAT and handling fees (24.4€). The VAT also includes the taxes for my accessories order (92$, spare battery, screen protector, 64GB SD card, PGP card).

Now I only need more time for doing some development on it or at least help somewhere. How I would love to be a student again and have all that free time for projects :laughing: (I don’t want to say students don’t work hard, I just had more time back then than now…)

14 Likes

yes typo (corrected), thanks for pointing it out

DHL Express emailed you in advance?? Do you have a DHL Express/business account?
My delivery man just showed up at the door and demanded the exact amount of VAT/fees in cash (no spare change). My existing account on dhl.de was irrelevant as DHL is a separate entity from DHL Express.

1 Like

oops ! looks like the ministry of security from your country decided to deliver the L5 in person to your door by impersonating a DHL employee :rofl:

2 Likes

Just added mine to the shipment list. For the record:
Backing date: 2017-09-17
Shipping announcement mail: 2021-01-26
Shipping: 2021-02-18
Arrived: 2021-02-25 (Germany, after 5 days in customs, cost was EUR 113.48)

6 Likes

Here’s my record:

Shipping announcement mail: 2021-01-29
Shipping: 2021-02-10
Delivered: 2021-02-18 (Germany. Had to pay 125 EUR in cash, mostly custom)

4 Likes

Don’t forget to update the table at the beginning of this thread:

Thanks

Shipping announcement mail: 2021-01-26
Shipping: 2021-02-08
Delivered: 2021-03-01 (Germany. Payed 112 EUR via Paypal)

4 Likes

Today I received my Librem 5.

Backing date: 2017-09-19
Shipping announcement mail: 2021-02-15
Shipping: 2021-02-23
Delivered: 2021-03-01 (Austria Had to pay 128.19 EUR in cash, mostly custom)

4 Likes

That is about 20% TAX (mostly VAT and DUTY.). and probably “Handling fee”…
The average for the EU coutries i think.

2 Likes

I just received my unit today, so let’s add another data point.

Backing Date: 2017-09-24
Shipping Announcement: 2021-02-26
Shipped: 2021-03-05
Delivered: 2021-03-10

13 Likes

On the basis of the info in this thread, it appears that since the L5 Evergreen was released on 11/18/20, that Purism will have shipped ~1,000 phones in 4 months or ~250 phones/month or ~8-9 phones/day. Is that what we’re seeing here?

By the way, does anyone know how many each of Aspen, Birch, Chestnut, and Dogwood were shipped prior to Evergreen?

1 Like

Wait they’ve only shipped one month worth of orders in total? I ordered like somewhere in januari 2019, it’ll take years before i get mine at this rate. man I’ve been patient for a long time, but this is pretty disappointing.

3 Likes

I don’t understand why it is so difficult for so many people to understand that when 50% of orders are placed in 3 months and the other 50% are spread over 3 years that it will take longer to get through the first 3 months than the following 6 months… Measuring shipping progress based on order date is massively flawed and will result in wildly inaccurate estimates of future shipping and of shipping progress.

With that said, I think it would be easier for people to understand if Purism was transparent about the order shipping progression showing #X/Y progress instead of obfuscating order numbers so that this kind of progress tracking is required to involve some amount of guesswork.

This information is also obfuscated and not published anywhere. Also based on what individual customers have shared it does not appear that A-D batches were 100% First In First Out. This is inferred from incomplete information due to lack of transparency on this front.

And to head off some of the counterarguments, yes I know that Purism is more transparent on this than pretty much every other company, however being more transparent doesn’t mean it’s unreasonable to acknowledge when there is something where there isn’t transparency.

I have also estimated 250/month instead of the 500/month I’ve seen commented elsewhere. There have also been comments on this rate increasing but I haven’t taken the time to try to estimate the increased rate of shipping or month over month shipping rates… Those would be nice numbers to have and would normally provide meaningful insight into shipping estimates.

The big wildcard is of course the chip shortages which mean that at any point shipping may slow/stop due to lack of parts which is mostly beyond purisms control.

At the current estimated shipping rate I’m looking at between 8 and 16 months for delivery, I’m hopeful that shipping rates will improve and that the supply will stay available… But hey it’s at least less time remaining than time passed at this point.

7 Likes

500 phones/month was the throughout they seemed to have reached at the end of January, not an average. It resulted from their shipping estimates emails.

So, the question is: do they ship according to those reliable estimates given at the end of January for the period until May or delays have occurred?

1 Like