Librem 14 "Road warrior" deliveries when?

Thats what the last post in the "Librem 14 in pictures thread " says.
This is NOT resolved,and if this is what counts for resolved, i will be refunding in full once that feature is enabled.

5 Likes

Looking like purism is doing the “sweep it under the rug, nothing to see here” solution…

7 Likes

Par for the course I’m afraid.

I hope this isn’t the case since I spent $3700 between the phone and laptop. I really want this to work because I don’t see many options for a secure laptop and phone. And even though I have a system 76 laptop (Serval WS), I’m not satisfied with the security features of it. Whole reason I gave that much money to Purism.

4 Likes

Right there with you man, got the phone and the laptop for the same reasons as you have stated. I’m not getting any warm fuzzies.

3 Likes

I’m just curious, what do you mean by “quality” if not fully functioning and not affected in any way? (Apart from the fact that the way I understand it explained here, the fix affects the device positively by improving compliance.)

1 Like

I’m just curious, do you really not understand at all what everyone is concerned about even after all the remarks and posts about the clearly poor soldering job? That you missed the point completely in all those posts and remarks?
Or are you being sarcastic?

5 Likes

Follow this post to the thread Kyle Rankin closed. There is an issue with quality and probobly more and you can’t just wave it off when you are talking 1.5-3.5 thousand dollar orders from a customer base that is very secure and privacy minded. It cannot look like it was soldered by a 6 year old at a pakistani junkyard.

Look at this Customers pictures of his laptop,and his remarks:

3 Likes

I’ve been following the hotfix situation throughout the forums and I’m fairly satisfied with the resolution. I say this as a soon-to-be L14 owner (arrives this week). Sure, it would be nice if there wasn’t an ugly-looking solder job on my board but I certainly understand the constraints that Purism is operating under here.

I wonder how many hotfixed motherboards exist in computers from the likes of HP, Dell, etc… that just weren’t discovered because their users are much less likely to open them up (if they even can) and inspect them; let alone the company itself posting screenshots of the board.

3 Likes

A poor quality solder job will not last as long as a high quality solder job. Sure both are fully functional at the moment of completion but one will last longer and provide less stress on the downstream components over time as the joint fails over time.

I think that portion of the criticism, even if not always articulated very clearly or politely, is extremely valid and thus far it does appear that Purisms general response has been “this is fine”.

3 Likes

Obviously there is a scale issue here. I can attest to the hundreds of HP, Dell, Toshiba, and Apple laptops that I have opened up, 0 have had this kind of fix applied. I suspect that it likely due to the fact that they are dealing with such large scale that if a batch of 500 or even 1000 laptops came in missing a piece they would scrap the boards and delay delivery instead of sending them to customers. Also they’re dealing with large enough scale that regulatory compliance is a part of the way testing process.

I do think it’s fair to hold purism to that higher standard though, especially since Purism does compare themselves to those companies to tout the things they do that those companies don’t. Those comparisons extend beyond just the parts that they choose to make them look good.

3 Likes

I’m satisfied with Nicole’s response and assurances that this shouldn’t cause any issues with longevity, and greatly appreciate the transparency at this time.

Is it safe to assume with those assurances that Purism would be willing to extend warranty coverage for any laptops that it’s shown end up having complications (malfunctions/break) due to this fix? @Kyle_Rankin @nicole.faerber

I figure an official stance on that may help put others like myself at ease.

5 Likes

What do you mean by “quality” laptop if not fully functioning and not affected in any way?

Its not an issue of functionality, but the way it was done. The poor solder job is in no way acceptable given the price tag of the unit. I, having paid over a thousand (others paying more than 3 grand) for the laptop, want no compromise on the quality of the done job.

Some will take it as is because they want their unit asap and want no further delays, but that’s their choice.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not an electrical engineer, but we’re talking about essentially grains of rice being held in-place by metal. My only concern would be wear from thermal expansion causing it to eventually crack but I imagine a beautiful solder job would have that same risk.

2 Likes

Speaking as a J-STD-001 CIT, “quality” would be meeting the requirements set out in that standard.
The component placement and solder connections shown in these photos does not meet those requirements. It’s not a matter of opinion, I HAVE to reject stuff that looks like this.

Per 4.13, mounting of parts on parts need to be permitted by assembly drawings. I doubt you’d draw it like that. Even on the unit shown off in the blog post, it looks like you have a part hanging off the side and mostly above another part.

Per 4.18, the solder isn’t blending to the soldered surface because there’s a blunt spike on that one capacitor.

Per 7.5.4 table 7-4, the fillet is touching the top of the component in spots. There’s violations of side overhang, because the capacitor that slid off the side of the one it’s stacked on is effectively barely touching the terminations of the one beneath it. There could easily be no end overlap on end of these joints. I’d say there’s too much side overhang, as the land width is undefined and smaller than the component width.

Per 8.3.1, There’s a solder ball on top of one of the capacitors (in @craftkiller’s laptop). That’s REALLY likely to break off and short things out.

Per 8.3.2, per cleanliness designator C-22 which is to be used by default, flux can’t be just left on the board.

What needs to be done to address this is to redesign the fix. Make some documentation, like an official drawing, describing the fix. If you want to reassure customers, publish the drawing. I recommend using leaded capacitors that meet the values you had to insert, insulating the leads as needed, bending and attaching the leads directly to where they need to be so as to avoid problems with minimum electrical clearance, then staking the capacitor and lead wires in place, but what @NineX said might also work.

I don’t mean to sound angry, this is just is what that joint industry standard requires.

6 Likes

Sure, while we don’t think this would cause any issues with longevity, if it would give you peace of mind we will extend the warranty on the hotfix specifically for an additional year.

9 Likes

Thanks Kyle, and sorry to beat this horse.

Does that mean extending the entire warranty of the laptop by 1 year for those who have this hotfix? Or extending the warranty of these laptops arbitrarily beyond that if it’s shown this part was the cause of a failure/malfunction.

I’m specifically thinking of a situation where I purchased 1-year warranty, and in year 3 this hotfix breaks off and shorts something else out… am I out of luck in the 3rd year? What about 5th year, and so on?

If this hotfix does not affect the longevity of the laptop, we should assume the more likely failures (really, anything else on that motherboard) would occur before or at the same time as this failure – in which case it should be reasonable to expect Purism to stand by the statement of longevity for this hotfix beyond a 1-year limit.

At least that’s my thought… think of it as a “defect”, that isn’t a full on recall, but open to resolution if it were to cause issues in the future (Purism doesn’t seem to have any reason to believe it will).

Hope that makes sense.

4 Likes

Will anyone with a pre-order be allowed to wait until you guys can ship laptops that aren’t hotfixed?

3 Likes

Not the entire laptop, simply issues related to the hotfix failing specifically. We think the laptop is solid, but if folks like yourself are worried despite our assurances, that the hotfix would be less reliable, hopefully extending the warranty for that specific thing would give you peace of mind.

4 Likes

So did I miss your answer somewhere or have you still not responded as to who exactly did the hot fixes? Someone at Purism? Or elsewhere?

3 Likes